Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adjustable Proportioning Valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57wagon, Jun 14, 2004.

1. 57wagon

57wagon

I just bought a new dual resivouir master cylinder for my 57 chevy wagon... I noticed in the catalog that it said that you need to run a proportioning valve for this to work correctly.

Classic Chevy sells two of them, one was adjustable and the other just made the pressure the same to both circuits. I guess my question is,

If one of these valves sends the same amount of pressure to both front and rear, what is the point of putting it on? I can see the adjustable one, where you might want more pressure to the front brakes, but ????

Any ideas out there? I ended up ordering the adjustable one, cuz it was only $7 more....

Thanks,
    Steve

2. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Steve, I don't know about your specific application but when making any brake system changes from stock, the adjustable proportioning valve is the best idea. Once you have the brake system functional, it will allow you to really fine tune the pressures to each end to maximize safety and performance.

Besides, if they were good enough for Carroll Shelby then they're good enough for most of us, right? LOL [​IMG]

BDE

3. 57wagon

57wagon

Thanks, I agree with you on that one. Just curious why someone would run one as opposed to the other.

4. InPrimer

InPrimer

no brake expert,but my adj proportioning valve basicl controls the amt of press to the rear brakes(drum) get. In front it allows full pressure to the disc. as i understand it its designed so not too much press goes to the rear thus locking the rear brakes

5. 57wagon

57wagon

That was my understanding also. The non adjustable valve they sell, would give equal pressure to both front and rear, the adjustable would allow you to reduce the amount of pressure to the rears while leaving the front alone.

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">The non-adjusting MAKES SURE both front and rear get the same pressure as they may not without it.

Go the adjustable route though. I put one on Mama's 59 when I did her disks and played with it some, it makes a HUGE difference. Turns out right in the middle is what hers wants.

RASHY </font>

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

So, where can we find these and what do they cost, roughly? I will be doing some kind of brake modifications on my late model soon and will need an adjustable proportioning valve, but don't even know what is a fair price or where to find them.
    Are they generally a one size fits all, configuration?

8. [ QUOTE ]
    So, where can we find these and what do they cost, roughly? I will be doing some kind of brake modifications on my late model soon and will need an adjustable proportioning valve, but don't even know what is a fair price or where to find them.
    Are they generally a one size fits all, configuration?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The one Chevrolet makes was(I believe)originally designed for the early(63-64)Corvettes.Maybe one of the Corvette gurus would have the part number.
    There was an adjustable proportioning valve designed for early Mini-Coopers that allowed you to adjust the front to rear bias as you drove the car.It had 8 positions on it and mounted on the floor between the front seats.Made by Girling or Lockheed and available through most Mini aftermarket shops.Try Mini Mania in Rochester NY or Seven Enterprises in Blue Crab(?) Virginia.They also have a store on the West coast but I don't remember where(I got rid of my Mini 15 years ago).

9. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">I got mine from Stainless Steel Brake Company, but it came eith the kit.

I'm sure they sell them seperate.

Wait a minute....

HERE YA GO.

RASHY </font>

10. 57wagon

57wagon

11. PetT

PetT

Speedwaymotors.com.... they sell 2 but either will work. It goes in the back line. Something to remember: When turned all the way in (clockwise) is OPEN, not shut like you would think.

12. 57wagon

57wagon

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about speedway... The cataloge is sitting right next to me too.....