Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Adding power steering to my 57 fridge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wreckfixer, Jun 28, 2015.

1. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I've been building a 57 Ford truck for a couple years now. I'm going traditional, you know y-block, 3 speed od, dropped straight axle, even stole an a/c from my kids 64 falcon. Now as for safety reasons I added disc brakes, but I want to add power steering, I've read about using (gasp!) a Toyota steering gear. If someone on here has done this swap I would sure like to know the details, I need to do this so I can use my traditional metalflake steering wheel. As always thanks in advance.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ran a Toyota power box on a 48 f1 for 60,000 trouble free miles ! Great swap , looked as if it came OEM to the truck . I had to increase the caster a bit to help return to center with the power box . U will love how well this works . The boxes are getting a little on the hard side to locate used . I put a used one on in my swap that had 240000 on it never had on issue .

5. I'm interested Also. Anybody have details without buying a kit?

6. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Thanks for the info. I have a steering box, next I need to find a crankshaft pulley for my y-block, if anyone has one for sale I would sure be interested. Thanks again.

7. You can buy the crank pulley new from John Mummert @ www.ford-y-block.com. I used to sell the Toyota conversion kits. Still have the patterns for making the frame brackets and pitman arms also the power steering pump brackets & AC brackets for Y-blocks. Might be persuaded to make them again! ;)

8. verde742

verde742

got toyota power steering in this, can't even see it... 58 pu gd.jpg

9. Didn't Ford have power steering in that era?

I have heard of guys using the Toyota box, I don't think it is a big deal to get done. Probably even got kits out there somewhere.