Register now to get rid of these ads!

Added 6 Volt Fuel Pump on 8ba And Now Have New Problems. Please Help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordMan53, Dec 23, 2010.

1. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

Before I added it I was getting vapor lock symptoms, so I added the electric pump, and by-passed the mechanical. The pump is an inline, close to the tank, new out of the box. Have a Holley 4160 390cfm 4bbl carb.

Have a regulator right before the carb set at 5.

Took it out for a while, and when I get on it, I quess all barrels, it bogs down hard and turns off. I turned the psi up to 5 and it idles fine and drives fine at slow regular speeds, but when I go up hill or fast, boom, turns off. Down hill it was fine, even when I got on it. Any ideas?

2. Drive it so it shuts down, then immediately kill the pump and engine, then coast to the side of the road. Pull a bowl cover and determine if you have any fuel in the carbys. This will be a clue as to whether your problem is pump or carby related.

Cosmo

3. shainerman

shainerman

somethings is off in the fuel line, maybe air? maybe shit in your tank? How does the filter look? And is the fuel pump the LOWEST link in your fuel system? Are you going directly fomr the pump to the reg to the carb or are you still going through the mech pump. Also get a pressure gauge on there and see how it reads. A lot of regulators are shit nowadays.

4. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

The pump is at the lowest point, am going to put some air into the line to the tank, see if I can get something shaken lose. Running the pump-regulator-carb.

5. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Just a thought, is your fuel cap vented?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Make sure the tank is vented also.

7. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

Should there be a hole by the fill hole somewhere? Ths cap I have I leave lose, should I get a vented cap? Where do they sell those? Thx

8. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Im not sure of if your tanks vented or not, just know is the electric pump creates a total vacuum it willl not supply enough fuel..............

9. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

Getting a vented cap tomorrow, found a local place. Will try that out first and see if that solves the problem. Thx

10. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

Added vented cap, and still had problem, then low and behold a new fuel leak! When I added the regulator it came with pos plastic fittings, but that is all I had so I thought it was fine. Well, one was cracked and was sucking air when I hit it I quess, so replaced it with brass and a new regulator, and boom, problem solved!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That's great! Glad you were able to troubleshoot it and solve the problem.

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good to hear that all's well now .