Register now to get rid of these ads!

Added 47 Ford to my collection of projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stonebird, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Stonebird

Stonebird

Just bought this 47 Ford. What do you think? A little bunged up but titled, no rust holes and the engine turns.:) I know I got a good deal but not sure how good. What are these going for?

Attached Files:

2. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Nothing wrong with a 47 ford, I like it... What are your plans?

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice patina.. Could be cool.. If you get it running I'm guessing $2500-$3500...

4. Stonebird

Stonebird

Got lots of other projects in waiting. Don't have a plan for this one yet except to see if it will run and get it back inside, out of the elements. If she runs, she might move up on the project list, or the engine might come out for my 29 chevy coupe project. It would be a shame to hide that engine under a hood. Sounds like I a got a super deal if they're worth that kind of $. Maybe I should pull the engine and sell the rest to fund some of my other projects, or sell some of my other projects to fund this.:confused:

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The parking lights make it a 46 or very early 47, a great find for sure.

6. lawman

lawman

Have a nice start Fellow !!!!

7. deucemac

deucemac

You got it backwards. '42,'46 and early '47 had parking lights mounted above the grille and neat the hood. plus they used rippled chrome moldings on the body and around the windows. mid '47 and '48 used the parking lights in the fender below the head light and smooth body chrome and no chrome around the windows.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, we have a 47 and the parking lights are near the top of the fenders.

Don

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is late 47.
    Changes came in the middle of the 47 model year. Has caused confusion since 47!

10. Stonebird

Stonebird

Thanks "experts":rolleyes::D. All I know is the title says 1947. The guy I got it from had it for 35 years and he got it from an old lady (close friend of his family) who was the 1st or 2nd owner. Pretty sure the year on the title is correct. Not that it matters, it is what it is.

11. Retro61

Retro61

I've got a pretty decent '48 For Sale! Everything but the Engine & Rear seat. I also have a Title, if anyone is interested!

12. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

nice find looks solid.

13. Flat48

Flat48

Early 47s were retitled 46s .

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

lucky pup thats a cool score , and paper to boot ,

15. Well I like '46s better. :D

You are right it would be a crying shame to hide that flatty under a hood when an early rocket or caddy would hide under there so nicely. :D

I don't know what your other projects are but the '46-'48 Fords are among my favorites. They are a nice looking body and make excellent cruisers or hot rods, either way.

16. hook00pad

hook00pad

I like the ole' hot rod black look on your 47. I'd like to paint mine like that!

17. hook00pad

hook00pad

I was referring to Mike Britton's black '47

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

great start...

19. hook00pad,
    My 47 looks pretty good... from about 25 feet! It's got, how you say, patina!

20. Stonebird

Stonebird

Brought it home last weekend. Today I finally got a chance to mess with it a little bit between brake work on the wife's van and painting a hood for daughter's Daytona. Put a battery in to see if the starter would turn it over. No go with the starter but I noticed a switch on the dash next to the starter button that said Columbia Overdrive :eek:. I thought no way?! So I stuck my head under the car and there it was :D. What a pleasant surprise, the guy I bought it from didn't even mention it. This deal just keeps getting better! Still not sure what I'm going to do with the car though.

21. archauto

archauto
    from Co

Shoot, if your going to upgrade the driveline I'll come and take the columbia off your hands. My 46 sedan w/ 1953 8RT truck engine in it could us that to maintain highway speeds and I want to keep it stock.

22. Stonebird

Stonebird

If I build it I'm leaning toward later model drive train for cost, convienience and reliability. Old mechanical stuff will probably be for sale eventually. I'd like to see if I can get it running and confirm the condition of all the mechanicals before I decide what I'm going to do with everything. Condition will help determine value. I've no experience with this old ford stuff but I know it is valueable and don't want to give it away. My plate is pretty full for the next month or so, actually the whole summer looks pretty busy for me. Stay tuned, I'll update this thread as I know more.