Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ACME Speed Shop's Road trip to Lone Star Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Acme Speed Shop, Mar 26, 2011.

1. big creep

big creep

better carry some gas cans next time.

2. That big ass Acme van's the one with the 10 gallon tank?

3. big creep

big creep

he needs the room for the shirts.

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool trip and thanks for sharing it "live" with pix.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Awesome! life's a journey, enjoy the ride...

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

[​IMG]

Was Doc Hudson hiding in the back corner here???? Looks like the Prototype for his place in Radiator Springs.

7. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Have a safe trip to the round up! Looks like you guys are having a blast along the way. Wish I was headed to LSR too.

8. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Safe travels and keep the updates coming!
    p.s. you do look good in pink!

9. That's the same way we drive back to Cali to see family...I've made that trip at least 10-12 times most of the time I'm in a time crunch...I'd love to have a couple extra days to do something like what you guys are doing...those small town are cool to explore.

10. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

LOL - that was what I was thinking.

But at least its better then two 30 gals empty on the I8. That was worse. Not even the AZ HP stopped!

Looks great John...I still think the van needs WWs ;). Be safe the rest of the way and back! I might have to call you for the number on that one for sale!

11. 55ledsled

55ledsled
    from Magnolia

Better pick up the pace...Wx supposed to be nasty around here Tues eve...

I am gonna need more $$ for all the rockin t-shirts this year...

12. hershambob

hershambob

wheres the pic of you standing on the corner in winslow arizona!!!!!

13. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

A long day full of issues with the van. We were about 150 miles into todays drive when the van died. It seemed as if I ran out of gas but I had a full tank.

This is a intermittent problem that I have been chasing for a while. I suspected a clog somewhere in the fuel line but it could have been a failed fuel pump.

About 5 miles east of Vaughn NM it died. So I pulled fuel line at the carb and cranked it over and......no fuel. Next I removed the pump and the in line filter. Pump seemed ok but filter had small chunk of something suspect (looked like tape).

We drove back to town (in jacks truck) and found both (a story in itself) and went back to the van and installed the new stuff......still no fuel to the carb.

Now when I was in town I noticed a guy repairing a flatbed tower and asked if he could drag us back if plan a didn't work. Well, he ended up doing that And then helped me drop the tank to look for a "floater". Look what I found - a small piece of tape. Mystery solved.

[​IMG]

We put all back together and back on the road after 5 hours. Here Are a few pics of a pair of signs our new mechanic friend sold us, a shot of his shop and the breakdown spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we hit the road and hammered hard for a while and made it to Clovis NM when a power steering hose started leaking. Shit! Time to stop for the night as all parts stores Are closed. I have the hose off and a list of stores so I can go hunt one down in the morning.

Here are random shots from the days adventure. ( I am supposed to be at flat top Bob's tomorrow noon. Doesn't look like that is happening but we will get there sometime.)

More tomorrow......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. fonti

fonti

great thread! thanks for sharing and have a safe trip!!
    (that's on my bucket list, too...)

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Man John, this has been a true adventure for sure! Good luck and roll with the punches, its all you can do....plus its great checking out your days adventures for all of us not on our own road trip!

16. despite the frustrations I'm sure you're enduring, appreciate the great photo's of the old buildings, alot to appreciate.

Keep safe, and have fun,

Drewfus:)

17. IWB

IWB

Nice score on the sign. Hope the mechanical problem's are all behind you still looks like fun.

18. big creep

big creep

wow, a fucken piece tape! good thing you guys found it. you think gas would dissolve it?
    and wow some of those building are beautiful! if i were rich, i would relocate all of them on my 100 acre ranch, and build an old american town! man come on lotto! i dont live on a 100 acre ranch, but i sure can dream about it!

19. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

wwoww cool picks glad ya got it figured out!!

20. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

I wish this was happening to me! Love the story and photos. Although I hope and pray for a drama-free rest of journey for you guys. Max is leaving for Austin early tomorrow AM. You guys should arrive at the same time!

21. sololobo

sololobo

Man this is so friggin cool, I love this stuff. So cool of Steve (el Jefe) to post up pix at some of the same spots. When I lived in Ca. I would drive back to Nebraska at least a couple times a year and have seen most of this historic killer stuff. Thanx for these posts, I am in envy as I am staying home this year as my f'd up case of "The Shingles" is kickin my ass big time. Get a shot to prevent this stuff friends. Rock on Acme, a road trip without running out of gas is not a real trip, so welcome to the little dark side of hot rod hell, good to see ya gettin your boo boo's fixed quite fast. Rock on. and please post more, thanx ~sololobo~

22. ratt7

ratt7

Thanks for the pics, nice to see the old buildings and stuff

23. While it's so cool to see those rotting old buildings, it's sad at the same time. (like some of the cars people intentionally turn to shit:rolleyes::p). Thanks for the awesome blow by blow on your trip. It's been a lot of fun

24. seatex

seatex

Great post! Keep on truckin' to Austin, we'll leave a light on for 'ya...................

25. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

We are waiting for Napa to open. Hopefully we can get a hose and get back on the road.

We are only a couple miles from Texas now.........

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Be sure to stop by the Caddy ranch and snap a photo of the van with them! That would make my day.

I would love to see y'all pass through Amarillo, but I'll be at college all day.

27. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

And don't forget to bring a can of spray paint to "tag" the caddy's.

28. 60'coupe

60'coupe

John what a great post to follow everyday, have safe travels ! Please people support ACME Speed Shop by buying some TEE shirts so we can have more on the road posts just like this in the future.
    60'

29. 76cam

76cam

Wow Awsome stuff!!! Good luck with the hose problem and have a safe rest of the way here.... Cant wait to see the new shirts!!!!!!!!!

30. Thanks for posting up the trip!! Very cool. Wish you the best for the rest of your trip.

Ryan