Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Acid dip 1952 coe body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Steverod

Steverod

Hi everybody

I never saw this on a forum befor and i think that can be interesting for all gear heads.
    My buddy Dan is restoring a 1952 Ford COE.And for the body we went to a company over the border down to germany .They put the cab in a acid bath a few times it depend on how much color you have on it.When it comes out it is like fresh from the Ford factory press .(without the small holes in the body:D:D).
    It goes in every so little corner,holes,etc.
    Here check the our blogspot for more pictures.
    http://acesdeluxe.blogspot.com/
    enjoy

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

2. Very nice.Im working on one like that right now and had to wire wheel the crap out of the floor.
    I dont plan on painting mine since its got the old company logo and paint job on it still.
    great truck tho,specially in germany

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Looks Great, I love the COE's.

One small piece of advise (and this is coming from experience). Make sure that the body is completely dry and that there is absolutely no acid left in any nooks and crevices. Any left over acid will quickly peel paint or primer if it is missed and works its way out later.

Good Luck.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

X2. Rodders in my area stopped acid dipping the bodies because it later came back to haunt them. Paint would start breaking down at the seams, nooks, and crannies:eek::eek: Media blasting then became popular. Nice truck. I miss the Chevy '50 Cab Over (Big Bertha) I had in the late 70's. Had a inline 6cyl and got 15 mpg with the two speed rear end.

5. 48flyer

48flyer

X3. Acid dipping is a bad idea. No matter how much rinsing. you never seem to get it all

6. most problems with acid dipping stem from the body not being cleaned well enough of the acid after it is done. My point is if you had problems.....find a better shop.

7. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Nobody else is going to ask about the gun turret looking hole in the roof? Ok, Ill bite. Whats the deal with the gun turret looking thingy in the roof.

8. o shit that thing on the roof is nuts what is it??

9. Steverod

Steverod

This was a fire truck ,and they built it back in time when they bought the truck down here in Luxemburg.

It is a company where we went.When you got the cab back it is cleaned in every every corner.No wet or acid ,only pure steel.So now we do the welding and metalwork .Then finish them back to acid dip to get of the light rust.Then we put it in a primer bath.We dont have or haid any problem with this company.

We was thinking to to put a gun turret just for fun ,point 50 ; ))

10. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Cool! A 50 cal. should do the trick.