Register now to get rid of these ads!

About to start a new project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JRACER1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Well, I am about to aquire this 38 Ford 2 door Sedan body only. I have already got some great ideas from friends here, but I am open to what direction to go with it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Well first idea would be to get it home :D If it was mine I would get it running and driving first.

3. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

LOL!! I hear ya, it is actually going to be delievered to me.

4. I just aquired a '38 Standard myself (yours is a delux). I expect things to change before I get to it but the plan now is a mild chop slightly down in the snout and and FE for go. A couple of very old timey custom mods but everything should be pretty mild as tweeking goes.

yea and getting it home.

I already had the build in my head anf the FE in my stable and stumbled onto the car.

5. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

i gotta say cool project i've got a 38 deluxe . yours looks like 37-38 standard body with 39 standard front sheet metal . i've never seen that before and i kinda like it.

6. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

Looks like your gonna have fun with that!!! :)

7. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

I was told by the owner it was a standard...that the deluxe had a hump in the trunk. Not too sure about the front yet, it has had plenty of years on her that front end stuff may have been changed.

8. Pics of standard and delux sedans both have a hump back.

Deluxe

[​IMG]

Standard

[​IMG]

The major difference at least from the outside is the front sheet metal.

The deluxe is more Art Deco looking.

The '39 Standard resembles the '38 deluxe and the '39 deluxe resembled the '40 Standard. At least that is my understanding of it.

9. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

I'm not sure but I don't think that deluxe has hump on it. Either way I think you got a great start . My dad has a 38 standard and has driven for years you just don't see to many of them around.I agree after 60 -70 years plus the fact that ford used whatever they had.

10. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

sorry bossman came up and I accidently posted before I finished saying Ford used up parts before going totally to new year 38 standards are updated 37's.38 deluxes were new body style then became 39 standards with minor changes.39 deluxes had whole different front clip that looks like a 40.

11. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Cool to know. I will be doing a lot of research as I go along.

12. robleticia

robleticia

Looks like a Deluxe to me. Also looks like you will be needing a bigger shop! :eek: Don't forget, I have plenty of room in my garage if your Nova gets in the way!:D

13. The standard and the deluxe both were both hump backs. In '37 the hump back was rare and by 38 the hump back was the norm.

JRACER1

you have the beginnings of a pretty slick project. The Deluxe was also none as a bull nosed Ford. They have really good lines in my opinion. Very classy car. Luck with the build.

14. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Hehehe...I hear you robleticia!! I have been cleaning on the shop for a week now, you may be surprised when you come up in December.

porknbeaner, thanks, I agree on the lines. I hope to do some good with it.

15. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

all I was saying was 38 had 2 completely different bodies one shared 37 styling one shared 39-40 styling. I think jracer's has both mixed and I like it

16. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

I understand kmc777 what you are saying. When I get it here to the shop in a couple of weeks I will take more pictures. These pics are what the previous owner sent me. It's gonna be fun!!

17. KMC777
    I just went through a ton of old pics online and it appears that the deluxe 2 door and the 4 door shared the same back. A slope back is what I'm finding and no hump back deluxe sedans. I thought I had seen hump back deluxe sedans but I must have been mistaken.

Maybe someone can come up with some good side shots of stockers for comparison. I'm not finding good pics for posting.

18. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

I spent about 3 hours yesterday going through pictures on the net...my eyes are still burning...hahaha

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks to be the makings of nice ride when you get done with it. I've always thought those looked best when you kept things simple. The right wheels/tires, stance and paint and interior and away you go.

20. looks cool. good luck with it.

21. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

I'M not to computer savvy (I type like chicken playin piano!!!) so by the time I figure out how to post pic's you guy's will have seen what I was getting at. Either way he'll have a one and only when he's done.

22. I imagine that it has probably been done. I looked for stock pics just for tha reason. But I don't doubt that it will be slick anyway.

The hump back trunk is a little less convienient but I have always liked the look of them. With the deluxe front sheet metal it should be a real classy car. The original intent of the custom was to get a classy car for the price of an old ford.

23. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

Beaner I got to thinking you've probably seen my old man's 38 black primer w/ lime green steelies. He lives in blue springs just done the road from you.

24. I have probably seen it and I may know the Old Man. There was a time when I was familiar with about everything around the metro but I don't get out much any more. :eek:

So when you're up for the holidays are you stopping by my place for Egg Nog?;)

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Neat car, and looks like a good one to start with!!
    Keep us in pics...
    Cheers,
    Bob :D

26. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

EXACTLY correct! I was just going to say the same thing! '38 Standard Body ('37s didn't have stainless) with a '39 Deluxe nose.

27. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

where are you I'm going christmas shoppin this weekend if I have time I wouldn't mind meetin ya

28. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Thanks guys!!

29. RGG

RGG

Post plenty of pics once you get it home. It looks like you are going to have fun!

RGG

30. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

I sure will RGG!!