Register now to get rid of these ads!

? about pinion support bearing on Banjo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cball, Sep 1, 2008.

1. cball

cball

Help. I purchased a few 39/40 banjo rears for a model A project and have recently taken them apart to clean them up and re-gasket them. What I found in a couple of them was the roller bearing that is a support bearing for the pinion was blown apart. It seems to be held in place by a piece of spring steel. Is this common? can I get all of the replacement parts including the retaining piece? Thanks

2. cball

cball

Help, please, has anyone else had this issue?

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've never messed with that retainer (no troubles there) and I don't have one in front of me, but it would take a lucky find to score a NOS one...18-4629, try Joblot and C&G, and the NOS dude at Carpenter. Best bet is scoring one from a spare banjo or making one from steel. Retainers are described as "rivets"...don't have PN listings here at work to decode, but think they are actually drive whatsits, the things with steep threads you smack in with a hammer. These can be backed out by starting them up with a thin chisel, then reused. I can lookemup to see what nomenclature is.
    Destroyed retainers may well mean nuts in front of pinion failed or backed off...?? That would allow pinion to try to wander and overload the rear bearing.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

By the way...the part listed at ONE CENT in the 1940 catalog I have here. HAMB has to get serious and put Squirrel, Whizzerick, and Vintage Ignitions to work on a time machine...

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The plate in question is only going to be available used or NOS. It is usually installed on the banjo case at the factory. You should not remove this plate to replace the roller bearing. This part us easily damaged if the tool used to press out the pinion is not centered on the pinion shaft. Continually removing and replacing the plate and rivet will enlarge the rivet hole and a secure mounting could be compromised causing the rivet to work loose and fall into the gear set. The bearing is replaced by removing the pinion gear and then pressing this bearing to the open hole, bottoming out on the steel plate.. Bearings are not a problem.

6. cball

cball

Thank you for the help, who carries the replacement bearing?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

18-4625...might be Timken 25578, but check by dimension, or any Ford resto parts place...Like Spadaro's !
    Now...you implied damaged retainer...think about what might have caused it before proceeding!