Register now to get rid of these ads!

? about 9" ford Axle seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowmaster, Jul 18, 2007.

1. lowmaster

lowmaster

Got a new Pete & Jakes frame with 9" housing and brakes all installed but gear oil leaks out of left rear wheel overnight. Do I need to replace just the seal (inner) or the bearing assy too? Axle has 55 miles on it so my thought is the bearing is OK. The seal looks like it was in contact with the hold down ring for the axle bearing but no where near the rubber edge. Got to fix this today.

2. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

just the seal will be fine...I had replaced just the seal on my 29 with a 9", it was fine.

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

When you pull the axle to replace the seal carefully measure the distance the seal is in the housing. I had one on my coupe that the seal diamater was too deep in the housing therefore the seal could be put in far enuff so it didnt contact the seal surface on the axle. Also if you can go to a bearing supply house with your seal or seal number and see if you can get a double lip seal. They work a lot better. I usually clean the id real good with brake clean and put some rtv on the outside of the seal before i install it..
    Dave

4. Ole don

Ole don

When installing the axle after a new seal, its easy to let the axle slide in and ruin the new seal. Hold the axle with both hands and dont slide it in.

5. KATFISH

KATFISH

The axles on mine had a sealed bearing and retainer already in place.
    The bearing outer has an O ring that seals to the housing inner.
    You have to grease it up to get it in.
    It would be easy to damage the O ring otherwise

6. lowmaster

lowmaster

Thanks guys!! Put in new seal National # 51098 Dosen't look anything like the old seal but fit way better. Looks like where the rubber rides on axle shaft was too deep on orignal seal. Now I gotta tear down the other side. I'll Drive it home tonight and see if this helps.