Register now to get rid of these ads!

Abandoned by American tire makers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guitard, Jul 11, 2013.

1. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

I go Cooper on my vehicles. Some companies, such as Pep Boys, carry a Pep Boy brand tire that is made by Cooper. Definity 200 and 800 are Coopers sold as a brand tire for Pep Boys. So, I have a tire made in the US. Sold by a US company. Mounted by an American. But on a Korean made KIA!!! The irony!

2. This is a sad commentary on almost every independent business owner that buys from big company's,,the product is built up with the hard work of of jobbers and when new management takes over the small guy is no longer needed.

Much like the big box hardware stores have put many small businesses out of business. HRP

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I've had good luck with Coopers as well. (Also Coker, but expensive) If we don't at least try to but American soon there will be nothing left.

4. I have many thousands of miles on Cooper Trendsetters. Replaced my Cooper Cobras on the daily with another set recently. Nice riding tire. Truck has 260K on it now and I think 200k of that has been on Coopers.

5. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Yep. It's not just tires. Almost every part of our consumer economy is palgued with the same problem. The economy of scale and efficenicy (which is a good thing) that comes with big business makes it impossible for little guys to compete. Then, when companies get so big, the individual human perspective is lost, quality and customer service really suffer.

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

very good point!!!

7. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

go with the hankooks i did and i love them for the price

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

Get the Hankooks and drive. In the meantime, save up for the expensive tires.

I bought some Trendsetters for my 61 just so I could drive it. When I wear them out, it's bias-ply time.

9. guitard

guitard

Thanks everyone!

As I said, I did try. And no, I don't set market prices but again - that's not what this thread is about. There were $100 Coopers that were discontinued... the last of that size pretty much by regular and potentially US manufacturers. That left me, for what I want, with spending almost $200 for boutiques or spending $50 for Korean. No middle ground. THAT is what this thread is about, evidently a hard concept to get across to people ready to jump to extremes, pass judgement, and lecture... you'd think I brought up politics. :)

Thanks to 95% of the posters on this thread for your info & opinions. Con, keep sharpening those crayons for the next time you can completely miss the point. Believe me, I understand what you're saying. I am grateful for that small percent of the market, I am not saying they should lower their prices, and I have a fine grasp of the intricacies, market scales and economies involved. But a hardline, black & white, jump-on-with-both-feet, combative response where none is needed serves noone and comes off as an unneccessarily abrasive troll-like addition to an otherwise fine and civil discussion. Dick.

10. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

You can go on TireRack.com and they have some neat searches. Their tire specs show where each size/brand is made. Interesting that a tire from Mfgr XX can be made in Singapore for one size and the USA for another size.

You can also search for two different sizes (front and back) for a given model of tire

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. Same reason there is a set of 14" 8-lug Pontiac drums and wheels in my attic now. Took them off my o/t Pontiac due to lack of choice and not being able to justify the price from the specialty retailers for them.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

But no problem typing away on that foreign made computer... :D

Down the road from me is Hosier's tires,a small rural tire only shop. They promote USA tires. If not busy the two owners will talk tire politics for an hour.But they will sell you foreign tires if there's no option in your size.

14. Buy the Hankooks and sand off the lettering with a D.A and 890grit paper then buff final look......Korean products are great actually I have Guitars made there and those are impressive...also just bought a new 2014 Kia,Forte-so I am not afraid to get a good product at a right price....many-many times there are several AMERICANS who are gainfully employed in either, getting those foreign products [made here] and even brought to us.......
    so whats the foul?

15. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

anything much over zero mph, nobody is going to be able to see the made in xxxxx label anyway. buy the best you can afford and enjoy the ride.

16. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

If you come through Cincinnati, I'll give you a set of nearly new, narrow white wall Cornell 808 (?) 205/75 14's on '64 Dodge Polara wheels. I don't know how old they are, but I think they'd bolt on and you could see what they look like. I doubt they are worth shipping.

17. I have to agree (to an extent) with the OP's concern. It seems like as soon as the auto manufacturers started putting 16" and up tires as standard equipment on the new cars, the tire manufacturers rapidly started winding down their production of 13. 14, and 15" tires.

Kudos to Hankook for producing a tire that some in the rubber industry feel is an insignificant application.

I've been buying 15" blackwalls in big and little sizes for my hot rods since the late '70s, and I just recently went through the hassle of trying to find good quality 15" blackwalls for one of my current projects in the sizes I wanted. The days of buying BFG Sport Truck T/A radials in 285/70-15 are gone. And no, I will not bend over and pay Coker's price for their tires. They are more concerned about making as much as they can off of each tire they sell instead of making them affordable and selling them by the boatload. That's all I'm going to say about Coker.

18. I said cars and tires,,but beyond that I do have a Made in the USA computer.

I have a nephew in the computer industry and I am typing this on a Puget Systems laptop,,so in my best snot nosed childish voice. "Neener,neener,needer!":D HRP