Register now to get rid of these ads!

A visit to Doc Frankenstein's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jet Fuel, May 7, 2004.

1. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

A story for y'all if you got a bit of time:

With the VLV pressure now off and a good dent put in the chores that waylaid until 'after VLV', me and my buddies Brian and GAM decided to cruise out to see Doc Frankenstein at his new gas station in Boron.

A friend of Doc's told me about a 'shortcut' that goes around Edwards AFB to the southeast. I didn't remember what the path was, but I just figured that if I used some common sense, we'd find the right pavement. All I'd have to do is hug the southeast fence of the base and navigate either along it or towards Rocket Test mountain, which is very near Doc's place and should be visible from several miles away. Hell, we had all afternoon and a cooler of beers.

We follow generally along the fence and have Rocket Test Mountain in sight on the horizon. Numerous signs 'encourage' you to stay clear of the base, so we end up on ave G through High Vista. It wasn't quite where I wanted to be, but I was sure there'd be an a approach from the east that we'd pick up somehow. No dice, however.

Just like a scene in a movie, we're on ave G where the pavement ends and only a sign indicating that 395 is ahead on this dirt road 13 miles. I'm getting low on fuel, so turning back wasn't looking like an option. The road looks well-graded and not too much of a gamble assuming it looked like that all the way through.

So off we go in the dirt. 40mph two inches off the ground and pebbles building up in my hair. We reach 395 and the last trickle of fuel runs into the bowls 15 miles south of Kramer Junction.

Using good 'ol bench racers' horse-sense, we each pound beers on the shoulder of 395 so that we've got containers to fill with fuel from Brian's car. One CHP passes without trouble.

We get the fuel transferred and we're on the way again. I make it a few miles, but run out again (grumble-fucking cam-grumble). Brian's got no more to give, but rolls on to Kramer for a little gas can and some fuel. We're able to roll into Kramer and get properly fueled after that short and painless intermission.

Now, when I was coming back from VLV, I had a vibration developing in the car. I didn't pay it much attention and wrote it off to me being hypersensitive and paranoid. Earlier this weekend, I felt the vibration a little more. After the dirt road, I decided it was time for a looksee when I got to the gas station.

Shore 'nuf, my driver side, front, outer wheel bearing was gone. Somewhat amazing that it was still rolling so nicely on the inner bearing alone, but since it was, I decided I'd roll the dice and nurse it to Doc's in Boron just four miles down the road.

Success. We got there, fucked around with Doc Frankenstein, and bullshat the rest of the afternoon away. My girl came out to pick my ass up and Doc provided my car with a bay to sit in while I scrounged for parts during the work week.

We head out last night and I get to work. The inner race of that outer bearing was so fused to the spindle that it had to be cut in quarters before a chisel and BFH would knock the pieces off. I guess that last dirt road did a nice number. It all worked out okay though, and the car was rolling by 8:30 last night.

Doc jumped in his truck to lead me in my car and Brian and GAM in the T back out the shortcut path around the back of the base to show us the proper way. It was a nice little night cruise in great weather through this eerie no-man's-land east of the base that was real enjoyable. We parted ways and all went to bed.

Doc's a real fucking great guy. Thanks Doc.

Fucking Bearing:
    [​IMG]

The Rescue Party. L to R: Terry, GAM, Brian, Doc Frankenstein.
    [​IMG]

Doc's temporary car stable.
    [​IMG]

-jf

2. Plowboy

Plowboy

It is no secret that the Doc is my Hero. I hope he is doing well since we don't see him around these parts much any more.

3. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Good read Jet, hope all is well.

4. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

Thanks HammeredA. Things are going extremely well. I'm having a fucking blast.

Plowboy - Doc's doing real well. He loves that station and it's paying the bills quite nicely. As you can imagine, he's just now only barely able to get his head out of it occasionally for a little work on his new projects and other fun stuff. Be prepared to take your truck out for his Grand Opening Party soon to be announced.

-jf

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Jet, was the following pics on your site the same car?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno. It's Tackett's site and I just use it. Those particular photos were taken by him. I'll see if I can roust him.

-jf

7. Tackett

Tackett

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but they are (were?) in a garage sitting close to each other.

Take a look here:
    [​IMG]

You'll see the orange trunk of the mostly bare steel car in the background of the black one.

Mikey (who reads the HAMB on occasion) bought a pile of parts from some guys in Sacramento and I wandered through their shop with a camera. They have some sweet rides in that building.

Tackett

8. Cool read man!

Every time I read about you guys having the greatest weather out there and doin' cruises through the high desert area, El Mirage and stuff... I get a bit jealous [​IMG]

I just can't wait to get out there again!!

9. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

if i was you i'd replace that spindle,don't know if i'd trust it after that-george

10. Hip

Hip

For those of you new to Doc Frank's deal heres his station, and his ride. Bitchin dude, that "Doc" [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Hip

Hip

Man, sorry to hear about the troubles "Jet Fuel". Dam'n good thing that it didn't let loose while driving through the hills! Excelent though. [​IMG]

12. Hip

Hip

One more then im out!

Attached Files: