Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to AV8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48bill, Jul 24, 2005.

1. 48bill

48bill

Mike,

A big Happy Birthday.

Hope all is well and that you have many more.

2. Gracie

Gracie

Happy Happy Joy Joy to you Mr Bishop! I love ya!

3. Happidy, happidy birf-e-day.....

Cheers,

Drewfus:D

4. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Mike,
    Yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you and may you enjoy many, many more.

From another birthday boy.

Phil, aka AZAV8

P. S. I always enjoy your writing.

5. Volksrod

Volksrod
    from California

Happy B-day Mike............................ A guy your age shouldn't be having birthdays. LOL Just kiddin buddy. Walt

6. av8

av8

Thanks for the kind wishes, folks. I plan on living forever; so far, so good.:)

Mike

7. darn he is timeless too

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

After the toast, I propose a poll!

How many people are on the HAMB because of the influence of Mike's book?

I bet the result is a pretty impressive number! That book stopped a thousand streetrods--and launched a thousand hotrods!

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

10. Mike

Mike

Merry birthday, AV8!

11. av8

av8

I'm uncharacteristically speechless, Bruce. Thank you for the sentiment.

Mike

12. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Mike, I thought we had aggreed to stop counting!!
    Or at least start subtracting! :D :D

13. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Bruce,
    Count me as one who changed because of the book.

My original hot rod-to-be back 40 years ago was to be a '29 RPU highboy. Life interfered and plans were delayed. When I decided to take up hot rodding again, I decided to build a '34 Ford pick-up "street rod". After reading Mike's book, I said to the guy in the mirror, "NO! Go back to the original car plan and build the '29 RPU." Only one change from the original plan. The original was going to have a small block Ford overhead. That was changed to the only real choice, a flathead V8.

I had read Mike's writings before I bought his famous book. I had read his work in "American Rodder" and was educated from those, like all his writing.

Who else was influenced? Come on guys, tell us the stories and make Mike's birthday memorable.

Phil

14. Elrod

Elrod

Happy Happy Birthday good sir! You are very appreciated!

-Elrod

15. Happy Birthday mate. So what is it? 29? :)

As a friend of mine always used to say... "You're as young as you feel, and I feel like a 14 year old girl!" :eek:

16. av8jon

av8jon

I changed directions too. Early 1998 I was considering plans to build a modified flatty just like my dad raced when I was a kid, for nostalga reasons. I was going to replace the sbc in my hot rod T-bucket with the flathead. I had already changed everything else on the rough Fad T-bucket I had bought to make it a Trad T-bucket.

I had bought every flathead book I could find and then I ran across "How To Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod"! My plans turned on a Dime!! I also had another reason too. When I was 18 I was working towards an AV8 project that I finally had to give up because of not enough bucks to finish. I even had the 50 Pontiac tail lights ready to go on it! The "Book" inspired me to do not only the engine but do the whole car like I was heading in the late 50s. I finished it in May of 2004 and I've been lovin it! I thank Mike every chance I get!!

I don't think anyone in history in one way or another has inspired more AV8 hot rods or traditional hot rods as Mike has. Every day it seems like I hear of another being started.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!!!

And thanks again!

17. av8

av8

Hmmm . . . probably not the best sort of sentiment to express to a dad who raised a couple of daughters by himself. :)

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes, mate. Still looking forward to you getting back this way again so we can actually meet and talk face to face. I enjoy your photography and your reports.

Mike

18. toledobill

toledobill

From one of the (older and) unwashed masses that gets what you've been saying: "Thank you and keep it up". You may wonder, late at night, if what you're doing counts in the great scheme of things. I can tell you it's one of the few things that DO count.
    Keep it up, youngster.

19. av8

av8

Thanks so much for your comments, Jon. The book impacted the movement for sure. I just wonder at times about the extent to which it has actually influenced folks.

The intent wasn't to influence but rather inform. At the time I conceived the book idea, magazines and how-to books were all over the map with their directions. Most books were collections of recycled magazine articles, and the magazine articles were very much as they are now, informational how-tos promoting advertisers' products.

I wanted to show the old ways, the way first-class hot rods were built before there was a giant pool of aftermarket suppliers. So far as I can tell, the book suceeded in delivering on that initial intent.

The big winner in all this is the person who learned the most and had the most fun. Without equivocation, that person was Mike Bishop -- av8 his ownself. Me!

I'm still learning, and I was raised to believe and know that that's at the core of a succesful and productive life. When I read comments here supporting that notion, I know I'm probably on-target!

Thanks so much for the support, folks.

Mike

20. Ported and relieved baby, nothing but the real deal.

AND, the Genuine Article.

See you on the salt, Kirk

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Not much to add, as it's just about all been said. Here's wishing you many more birthdays and hopefully many more articles/books that guide the uninformed in the right direction concerning this great hobby/obsession of ours.

From the first time I read about Bill Neikamp and his AMBR roadster (in Hot Rod Magazine borrowed from a neighbor) in the mid fifties I knew that early Ford cars built into hot rods would be a lasting passion. Fifty years later nothing has changed that notion. Thanks to Mike, his articles and book, no one has an excuse for not doing it "right" if they intend to do an early style car.
    On the inside cover of a book that I purchased from C9 he made the observation that "hot rods keep us young". I have to agree with that and if it's true Mr. Bishop should be around 18 years old by now. Happy Birthday Mike.

Frank

22. hemi

hemi

Very cool indeed.
    Have a happy birthday, and thank you for all of the advice and the wisdom that you have shared.

You and Jay Carnine are my literary HAMB idols.

23. Eryk

Eryk

Happy Birthday, man.

24. From imformation came influence, and it was good!

Happy B'day Mike

25. 55olds88

55olds88

Have a good one, just sent you an email with some Burt Munro stuff.

Paul.