Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A V8 headers; back to square one

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cuzncletus, May 7, 2017.

1. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

My A frame is set up with a 59ab so it fits under the stock hood. In other words, it's set back slightly from where a lot of A V8's are. The steering box and column are from a 50 F-1. It was originally set up with old 50's vintage Fenton headers on the driver's side. From what I've read the chassis has to be cut on the passenger side. I hate to pull the engine/trans again and cut into a painted frame.

Someone said center dumps would work. Not even close with the F-1 box. Red's makes a set for an F-100 box that look tempting since the later box is somewhat bulkier than the F-1 but I don't want to just throw money at this. (Like I already have. Anyone want to buy some unused coated center dumps?) I built the headers on my flat powered 39 but had the luxury there of covering up their "unusual design" with some heat wrap. I can't find Havlir's House of Fab and am not sure he's still in business. I'm finding myself running out of options.

I sure would like to hear from someone with genuine experience with this set up, not some keyboard hot rodder who read something somewhere.

2. A recent post said Havlirs was very helpful,don't remember who.I think Havlir is on the vendor page.

3. e z i

e z i

I used center dumps on my 31 with an F1 box. I just modified the rear tube to go around the back side of the box.

4. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

e z i; My box hits the center tube. This could be caused by either the box being farther forward or the engine being set farther back.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. e z i

e z i

IMAG0671_1.jpg
    My 59a is as far back as it can go with a stock, unmodified firewall, and the steering box is in the original frame location.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

If you are not stuck on having headers.......stock Ford forward dump exhaust manifold may work for you.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm using a set of Red's headers for a 49-51 ford on my 30 A with an 8BA and 52 F1 box. My steering box is modified to move it closer to the frame and barely clears. I cut the stock mount off the box and had a Model A mount welded on, then used another Model A mount as a support bearing on the outside of the frame. Moved the box as close to the frame as possible.

Attached Files:

Rex_A_Lott and BradinNC like this.
  9. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Good luck getting a set of those av8 headers from Reds.

10. ydopen

ydopen

IMG_1277.JPG Waited 2 years for reds. Dave Havlir had not started making AV8 headers so I made my own. F1 box in stock location. John

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't use headers on my 31 A roadster with the F1 steering box as they hit the box and couldn't be bolted on. Someone on here told me to grab a set of stock manifolds where the drivers side dumped at the front of the block as opposed to the rear, which I did. This is what that set up looks like. Everything clears pretty well now. I doubt there will be much HP lost between headers and these on a mildly built street flat motor. I'll run both pipes down the passenger side which is fine as there isn't much room with my clutch and brake stuff in the way anyway. I took a grinder to them and smoothed them out prior to heating them to 500 degrees in my BBQ and spraying with VHT. I think they look pretty good.

20161213_202136.jpg
    20161213_202112.jpg

12. chiro

chiro

Hmmmm. I had very good customer service from Red's. Spoke to them over the phone. They assured me the headers would fit my "A" frame with 59AB flatty and F1 box. Got them in a week and they fit perfectly. AND...they were fairly well priced. Havlir makes some nice ones but they were not available yet when I bought my Reds

Andy

13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

can't you move the steering box closer to the firewall and shorten the steering column?

14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

How long ago was this?
    Ive bought headers from them for my 47. Got them ina week. Seems they never have the av8 headers in stock

15. ydopen

ydopen

Andy,this was in 2014 and they did not have a welder who could do the AV8 headers. They were very nice on the phone,but finally said they could not make them. They may be back in production now.

John

16. chiro

chiro

^^^ Hey, so this got me to thinking about when I bought my headers from Reds. Just got off the phone with Jim. I wanted to know when I bought mine. He told me 2014. As a matter of fact, he even remembered me and said that he did indeed have some problem with his help always leaving for about a year and a half and actually built my headers himself. I just told him what a great product he had and how happy I was with them.

Bottom line is my experience with Reds was great. Guy was upfront when I spoke to him about there being a bit of a wait but I STILL got them within a week (maybe two but certainly no longer than that).

Reds is a standup supplier in my book. My two cents

-Andy

17. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I bought a set of Red's for another car and had no problems with either the company or the product. My engine definitely sits a little farther back than a couple of pictures though in about the same location as GordonC's. I'm going to try a set of Fentons. If I have to cut the passenger side rail, so be it. I'll just build some strength back into it.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

You have the skills to build a set from scratch that will fit your needs.
    a set of flanges some bends and a collector. Get er done.

19. Dave Havlir is the man for A-V8 headers. Top quality and a great fit. Just give him a call.