Register now to get rid of these ads!

a Town Delivery ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, May 5, 2012.

1. In the shop where I work is a stripped shell of a delivery. Can't remember if the owner said it was a '35, 6, or 7 but he said it's a 'Town Delivery'.

Looks like a sedan with side windows but has a delivery back door. Owner said it was very rare and is being restored for a museum. I'll get some pictures next week.

You can see it behind the Nova.

[​IMG]

I Googled but didn't find anything.

Attached Files:

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

A lot of those were considered flower cars. Because of the rear windows left intact they were used for just that purpose. I can't wait to see some good shots of it.

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

How about a '36 "Boulevard Delivery"? This was for sale on the FordBarn a while back. DD

[​IMG]

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Likely not a Ford production car, just a 35-36 Standard Tudor with a rear door modification from an aftermarket body builder/modifier of the day.
    There were probably thousands of odd body mods done by these commercial coachbuilders during the 20s thru the 60s.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

ford did actually offer a Town Delivery in '31. It was a slant cowled delivery body with an open drivers compartment. I'm not aware of any other year production though.

6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Surely, you're correct...I also don't believe Henry rolled these out His door. The seller says..."by Briggs". Link below to the original 'Barn ad. DD

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68662

7. The one at the shop hinges on the opposite side than the Ford Barn car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

There was a similar slantback for sale down here the other year. All OEM Ford and no could explain it? Rear side windows and a delivery rear door.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very cool car ! Makes me want to do something similar with the piece of crap body shell I have!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That body style looks like it would have been popular with flower shops, funeral homes for flower cars or other businesses that had light delivery work to do.

One would sure make a nice and handy road trip hotrod.

11. Ford built some odd stuff special order.

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

From http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/ford/ford.htm

Although Briggs supplied Ford with an all new sedan-delivery body (Type 46-850) for 1933, they offered their own budget-priced $86.50 delivery conversion based on a standard Type 40-700 Tudor Sedan. National Cash Register ordered a fleet of the Briggs-modified Tudor deliveries which featured a 36" wide x 35" high rear cargo door, a relocated spare (to the right front fender) and replacement of the split rear bumper with a stock Ford front bumper.

Coachbuilt claims the picture below is a Lebaron body...But I'm not so sure about that...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  13. There was one of these 31s in the Jim Leake Museum in Oklahoma a few years back...Looked like open cockpit and Sedan Del rear

14. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

[​IMG] The rare Town Car Delivery version of the 1931 Ford Model A truck was a shortened panel truck with an aluminum body and open driver's quarters.

As in past years, the factory offered a comprehensive selection of commercial bodies for the 1930-1931 Ford Model A truck. The most popular and practical versions of these were the fully enclosed Ford DeLuxe panel delivery and the closed-cab pickup.

But no iteration of the 1930-1931 Ford Model A truck was prettier than the Town Car Delivery. Offered for only two years, the Town Car Delivery was a close-coupled, foreshortened panel truck with an aluminum body and an open driver's compartment that could be protected by a soft roof in inclement weather.

http://fordofwestmemphis.blogspot.com/2009/05/1930-1931-ford-model-truck.html

More Model A Town Car Deliveries pictured here;

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3878&showall=1

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks like a proper door to me, hinges on the left so you can open the door and safely load from the sidewalk. Bob [​IMG]