Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A steering column on T chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Feb 6, 2020.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I know its a common swap. Who's done it?

I'll be using a T engine. Whats involved in making the rods work?

Any info and pics greatly appreciated.

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Wow one day and this is on page 6!

Anyone? Beuller?

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Must not be a common swap.

4. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Ok. And I will preface this with "Just My Oppinion" and "I am following your build thread and you have really nailed the chassis. Extremely impressive."

Regarding the steering: I don't know that Model A columns were ever really used on a Model T. I think you should keep this T era. The Model A box and/or complete column is just too recognizable as Model A.

I would find another 1920s "Brand X" steering column and adapt it to fit your needs. I have seen 1920s Chevy columns on T speedsters. Or, I would use a Model T steering column, although you may be opting for side steering. Most T racecars/speedsters back in the day used stock T steering columns, they are fine-especially if you use the 1926-27 steering gears inside (totally interchangeable with the early columns). Original aftermarket Model T steering boxes were made but they are rare and expensive if you can even find one.

I have had multiple Ts speedsters with stock steering and my current original speedster which was built in the 1920s has an underslung front end with stock steering. All have worked just great.

Based on the talent you have shown and your efficiency in getting things done, I would bet you can fabricate/adapt and/or modify something that is going to look wayyy better than a Model A column and box. I know you can do it!!!

hillbilly4008 likes this.

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks for the compliments.

I need a traditional steering box with the Essex axle. I went Model A column because a commonly found part, and have no doubt its been done a million times.

Another reason for the A column is the hand controls.

Im all for finding something better. An Essex column and box would be tits. The current plan was to run the A setup with a T steering wheel