Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Speedster Comes Out of the Weeds—Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClarkH, Dec 25, 2015.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Better man than me, just never will understand why three gauges need all that wire. Bob

loudbang, Blues4U and ClarkH like this.
  2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks Great Clark! Thanks for the update, Gary:)

loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So the only thing left to do before attaching the doors is to install seats. I’ve been putting this off for a while for a couple reasons—one, because, well, it’s seats, which everybody does last, don't they? The other reason was because I could not find a satisfactory solution.

The cockpit of the Mercury is 35 inches wide at the back, tapering to 34 in the front. That’s like 6 or 7 inches narrower than a Model A. So, anybody got any stock seats lying around that would fit that? Didn’t think so. The best I managed to find over the years was this pair from an old Anglia:
    Seats-FauxAnglia.JPG
    As you can see, they’ve been stripped of upholstery and pinched, giving them a faux bomber look. Even so, they’re too big, and only fit in an offset configuration with the driver’s seat ahead of the passenger. You could argue there’s some historic precedent for that from the old racing days of riding mechanics. But it’s odd, and the seated-in-the-rear vibe was a little too “Driving Miss Daisy” for my dear and extremely patient wife.

Nevertheless, I was resigned to using these as placeholders until a few weeks ago, when Matt—known to most of you as Hitchhiker—showed up at my garage door with this:
    HitchhikersGift.JPG
    It’s a seat out of a ‘30s-40s school bus that he scored off of Craigslist. Smallest one either of us has ever seen (insert "short bus" joke here), and damn near perfect. So yesterday I declared an official end to wiring, wiped my hands, and went to work on something more gratifying.

The patient is stripped and prepped for surgery:
    SeatStripped.JPG
    The patient goes under the knife:
    Prepped-for-Surgery.JPG

Oh god, do I have malpractice insurance!?!?
    Seat-Deconstructed.JPG

No, we can rebuild him (cue Six Million Dollar Man theme)…stronger…faster…
    Seat-Narrowed.JPG

Or more accurately, shorter… narrower…
    Seats-Shortened.JPG

DONE! Fits like a glove.
    Seats-Fitted.JPG

Now I just need to make cushions and covers. I’m thinking distressed oxblood or burgundy would go good with the blue.

4. johnod

johnod

Who makes heavy duty/quality connectors? I could use some myself.

loudbang likes this.
  5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a nice USA-made set off Amazon from www.connectorsupply.com. Something like $40 for a 450 piece set. Also, my local hardware store stocks Noble Wire & Terminal connectors, which are very high quality, especially the marine connectors. This which was a godsend whenever I got into a bind. A byproduct of living up the road from several shipyards and yacht buiders. I also recommend a search on threads by wiring guru Crazy Steve.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  6. johnod

johnod

That's great info, thanks.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

upload_2017-5-2_1-36-35.png Not short bus, that is a Bugatti seat frame.:rolleyes: Bob

kidcampbell71, ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  8. kidcampbell71 and ClarkH like this.
  9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huge shout-out to my brother Ric (Part Junkie) for killing a Saturday morning on start-up diagnostics. In the video she's running on a remote gravity-feed Jerry can, is straight-pipe loud, and still smoking out a half a cup of MMO per cylinder.

Wa pump leaks, remote oil lines leak, ex manifold leaks. Carb needs a rebuild (acc pump shot) and the charging system isn't working (polarized it twice--something's up.) All in all, about what you'd expect after 7 years of sitting.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  11. That is soooo f'n cool!

ClarkH likes this.
  12. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good for you! :)

ClarkH likes this.
  13. Hearing them run for the first time is always an exciting moment! :)

ClarkH likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, can't believe I've been skipping this thread! Great job! And she sounds awesome!

ClarkH likes this.
  15. Fantastic! Sounds great!

FWIW I vote black upholstery and Brooklands screens...

ClarkH likes this.
  16. 39cdan

39cdan

Thomas and Bets crimping tool is one of the best. They look just like yours. I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike, ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  17. Hot Dogity Dog sounds wunnerful . Great job Clark.

ClarkH and loudbang like this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DIt awakes from a long slumber.Caughing and snorting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. Cool little car !! I can only imagine how much fun you are having with it.

loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  20. 55willys

55willys

Nice to hear it run

ClarkH likes this.
  21. congrats, Clark, she's living!!! i'm happy with you

22. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I get started on updates, did anybody see the Mercury Speedster in Jay T. Judd’s 2017 TROG ON THE BEACH thread? It’s in post 37. Here’s a copy, with all due credit to Mikel50:
    Mercury-at-TROG_Mikel50.jpg
    Man, that's inspiring. It’s an early one—no passenger door—and you’ve got to love the exhaust. It runs right under the step plate. That’ll give you a hot foot!

Anyway, on to my updates. When we last left off, I had roughed in my school bus seat (kudos again to Hitchhiker on that little find). I then realized that while I had the width right, I had miscalculated height—needed to allow for cushions! So I cut it up again, shortening the legs and lengthening the back. I also canted the seat to put me in a more comfortable position. Here it is now:
    Seat-refitted.JPG

I designed the seat to fold forward for easy access to the battery:
    Seat-folded.JPG

The front legs pivot on marine anchor quick-releases. I beefed up the tubing where the legs pin into them.
    Seat-pivot.JPG

Also made rear tabs that pin into a cross-member positioned under the floor. The cross-member is plenty stout because the seat belts will also bolt into it.
    Seat-pins.JPG

To be honest, my original intent had been to have the tabs come up through the floor from the cross-member, so the pins could be up top. But after I shortened the seat legs, there was no easy access. I debated a remote actuator, but finally decided to Keep It Simple (Stupid). I've got too much on my plate to start messing around with that level of detail. Besides, I’m not going to access the battery very often—it will have a remote cut-off.

23. lostmind

lostmind

I like your " just do it" attitude. If it doesn't work , change it until t does.
    Worked before the internet and You Tube , thinking for yourself.
    Enjoying the process.

ClarkH likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

When you started out this project, you made it sound like it what's gonna be a down and dirty build, but you keep amassing me with the quality of your craftsmanship and engineering!

And you have long since redeemed the fact that you found a rare mercury body, in the even rarer Chevy version of the mercury body and put it on a
    Ford

Keep at it, lad!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  25. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More minor progress.

I installed the taillight lenses; fabricated gasket/spacers for the housings because the original clips were gone (not super-exciting to most, I expect, but made me happy).
    Rear-Lenses.JPG

Also tracked down my oil leak—the culprit was the crappy braided lines for the remote oil filter. I had a new set made (NOT braided), and killed two birds with one stone by added a fitting for the pressure gauge.
    New-Hoses.JPG
    (leaky junk top, nice new hoses bottom)
    New-Hoses-Installed.JPG
    I had the hoses made at Nebar Hoses and Fittings in Ballard. Great place to know about if you’re in this area. I think they mainly supply industry and fishing boats, but have no problem with small jobs like mine. They assembled the hoses while I waited, and in the meantime I got to kill time checking out their cool old building, which was the Ballard Ice Arena back until the ‘70s. That may not seem as cool to you guys as, say, a vintage gas station. But it warmed the heart of this old hockey player.

Lastly, I’ve been scratching my head for a while about some kind of protection for the radiator and shell. I didn't want a full-on bumper, more of a spreader bar or hoop you'd find on a race car. I found my answer last month at the Monroe Swap Meet, in the form of this home-made chrome headlight bar:
    Bar-as-found.JPG
    The thing is solid steel, not hollow. All I had to do was introduce it to Mr. Torch and Mr. Vise:
    Ready-for-bending.JPG
    And here’s the result:
    bar-bent.JPG
    Bar-Installed.JPG

26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Great looking progress, nothing minor! The devil is in the details! Gary

loudbang, volvobrynk and ClarkH like this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

Good stuff, i like the bar, gets the job done and looks clean and period-appropriate.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, volvobrynk and ClarkH like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Good deal making something useful out of someone else's junk.

ClarkH likes this.
  29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Figured I’m far enough along with wiring and seat that I can install the doors. It suddenly has a “complete” feel, and now I can stop worrying about knocking the loose doors off the workbench.
    Door-rt.JPG
    Door-left.JPG
    Those ’35 Ford pickup handles were in the boxes of stuff that came with the car. One was really messed up, but I found a replacement in the Hamb classifieds. Installed the prop nuts for the roof while I was at it, even though an actual top is just a daydream at the moment.

As always, nothing is as simple as it should be. Those darn doors—I had them mocked up and shimmed perfectly before removing for paint. Then I go to install the right side and it’s like 1/16-1/8 of an inch out—jammed to where it won’t even open. Wha???? You can’t tell me a few microns of paint did that, and I know that body hasn’t shifted. Had to use a different shim. All I can think is I set the wrong shim aside—I did a lot of test fitting initially with different shims, and thankfully could still find them. Anyway, it’s good now.

30. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Now we both can Adoor your car, LOL ! Looks great! Gary

volvobrynk and ClarkH like this.