Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Question or Two...

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Four Banger, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Four Banger

Four Banger

I'm curious. Do any of you guys know of a four cylinder Hambster either already existing, or being built? My parts pile is pretty much complete, excepting the engine and transmission. I've been looking all over for the right inline six, and the more I search, the more I'm wanting to do a Four Banger. I've been messing with them for so long, I just can't seem to get away from the idea. I haven't been able to source a Chevy 153 yet, but I do know of a couple Pontiac slant fours that are available. I'm not aware of any other fours that are readily available that meet the rules, other than the old flathead A and B engines. The thought of taking a Tempest transaxle and slant four, and butting them straight together for a mid engine car really excites me for some reason, though!

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry about finding another one.......if you want to build it, just do it!:p

3. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

you do know that a gto head will fit that 194.5 cu. in.

4. ThingyM

ThingyM

All 389 parts are used in that engine,, Easy to get hop up pistons and rods, Plus good flowing heads.. Go For It......

5. Four Banger

Four Banger

Yeah, I used to own one of these, in a 62 Tempest with a 2 speed automatic. That torqey son of a gun pulled that car around remarkably well, and was as tough as nails. Boy howdy, they are rough running things though, and heavy as hell too. One of the engines I've located is the 166 hp Indy Four. That would be a good score, but I don't know how much is salvagable, as it's been open to the weather. The other one is the 110 hp version. I guess I just like beating the drum a little differently than most, that's why I want a Four Banger.

6. 348chevy

348chevy

Being different is what this is all about. If I were you I would go with the Pontiac 4 because Mickey Thompson set the 4 banger world on it's ear when he started racing them in a dragster. I think that a Pontiac 4 in a HA/GR would be very competitive plus the WOW factor of it. As was said all 389 parts fit so you have a really good basis for being at the head of the class. :D Roy

7. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Build it! I think this is what it is all about.
    If you are used to dealing with these motors, that is what I would do.
    That is the whole reason that I built mine using a slant. I've got one "T" with a blown slant that I have been running for about seven years. I know these engines inside and out and that is the main reason that I used one.
    Robert

8. bobw

bobw

Don't even think about it. Just do it! If you get 2 engines, you'll have to build 2 dragsters...:D

9. 6ck Pony

6ck Pony

or one! :D

Attached Files:

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Do it. :cool:
    (Where's a damn "drooling" icon when you need one?)

11. Four Banger

Four Banger

Well, I'm heading over this weekend to check out the 110 horse engine and transaxle. It ran well when pulled from the car, but it's been outdoors (under cover) for about 9 years.....The guy told me he checked it a few weeks ago, and it still rolls over both directions, so it isn't ring locked. I am familiar with the engine, and it did run great. The guy replaced it with a 421 and th400 for a bit more zip! We'll see how it goes. If it turns into too much of an issue money wise, I'll do something else, and set the Tempest Four aside for the next car! I just stumbled onto a wrecked 66 Grumman Curbmaster van with a rebuilt 194 and 3 speed transmission. Damn thing got whacked by a train! I can buy it for $100, and that may prove to be too tempting to resist. I can knock out a front engine car in a couple or three months, and pass it on to a friend, then dive into the Tempest project over the winter! Stay tuned!

12. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

Hey four banger I have a 153 chevy with the glide attached. It was in a 1970 Nova and runs like a top. Its been in my shop for about a year and a half and never out side. I even have the radiator to go with it. Single barrel rochester and air cleaner. I think my buddy said it has 40,000 miles on the car it came out of.
    If your interisted let me know.