Register now to get rid of these ads!

A question for the Appleton gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skooch, Mar 1, 2008.

1. skooch

skooch

I currently have a single 112 installed on my drivers side and I'm thinking of adding one to the passenger side. The original Appleton paperwork I have says that the light is "for installation on drivers side only - if right hand light is desired order from your dealer".

Are all the cars with dual spots actually using both right and left spotlights
    or are they actually interchangeable?

2. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Good question and I would like to know answer my self. Don't know if we have any gurus on this subject. Thanks for posting. BOBBY FORD

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

there are left and rights..

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

I believe that left & right interchange is only limited by the outer bracket that screws to the windshield post.

Billy

5. Chad s

Chad s

I dont know if I qualify as an Appleton guru, but I am Appleton obcessed!

You can use both left spots on one car, as the plastic handle (and its associated metal splined post) can be inserted in the teardrop shaped handle from either side. When you do this to make the spot work on the right side, the part of the handle body with the switch will now be facing the floor.

NOW, you can get around this!

The handle is held in place on the long post by a nut and bolt that tightens a coller on the handle, providing friction. However, there is also a small "notch" in the post that the above mentioned bolt rests in, so you cant "twist" the handle on the post. If you take a carbide burr, edge of a cutoff wheel, or preferably a round file (so you can take it slow), and duplicate that notch on the opposite side of the handle (i.e. 180 degree's around the side), you will now be able to instal the handle so the switch is facing upward.

The only thing left will be that the small metal "Appleton" script will be upside down. These are secured with 2 folding metal tabs, in the middle of the script. You can unfold these from behind, and flip the script around, and instal it the other way. (Some very late 112's have the "Appleton" lettering molded into the switch cover, and you wont be able to change it, but these are much less common than the type with the metal insert)

If you have Appleton 552' (552's were the postware model, 112's were a pre-war production), the same proccess applies, with the exception of the name plate, which you can just swap the sides, as the switch is on the end of the handle in the form of a rotary knob.

If all of this is not 100% clear, I have plenty of disassembled 112's and 552's at home I can take some pics of to show the areas discussed above.

6. Chad s

Chad s

The brackets are definately left and right, but the handle orientation is left and right as well.

7. skooch

skooch

Great info Chad, thanks!

8. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I have a set of 112's for my ride.They are both right side,but what I did was had a notch machined on the opposite side of the shaft.This way when they are installed the handles face in their respective positions.And of course the outer mounting brackets matter too.

9. Chad s

Chad s

Yea, thats what I was talking about, but I just used a round file of the right diameter. That notch's accuracy isnt extremely important, it just needs to be there.

A set of soft jaws on your vice, and a small round file, and you will be set.

10. skooch

skooch

You know, I have a set of dummy spots buried somewhere that I was going to use but were just too cheesey, I bet I could use the bracket from it.

11. Chad s

Chad s

You can! 90% of the dummies use brackets that are the same thread as Appleton. You can file down the brackets from the dummy spots to fit your A post, and get the Appletons pointing in the right direction.

What kind of car are you putting thsee on?

12. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Skooch,yes you can use the mounting brackets from the dummy spots.They will screw onto the Appleton threads.

13. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I used the small cheesy cal customs for years.Then I went on to the Kustom Kraft repos,now I finally have the real deal.

14. skooch

skooch

Car is a 42 plymouth with a zephyr front end. Heres a pic with the drivers spotlight.
    [​IMG]

15. Chad s

Chad s

16. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Skooch man,that is one BADASS ride

17. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

How was it to mate the zephyr front end to Plymouth body?

18. skooch

skooch

"How was it to mate the zephyr front end to Plymouth body?"

I wouldn't know! But here is a link to the guy who originally built the car.
    http://www.hellboundhotrods.net/
    A very creative guy. I really like his new projects too.

19. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

The outside windshield post mounting brackets for Rt & Lt & other spotlite hardware is still available. Somewhere in my maze of business cards, I have the company who still has lots of that stuff, as I got the Rt & Lt brackets for my Appletons from them last summer.If interested in getting them, drop me a PM & i'll dig the card out.

20. skooch

skooch

"Very cool! are you going to eventually run a front bumper?"

Thats not in the plan but I Have a tendency to change my mind a lot.

21. Chad s

Chad s

I remember that car now, when pics were posted when the original builder had it in red oxide primer.

You have gotten it a far way from what that guy did! It needed a lot of metal work!

Is it going to always be black primer? That car would look great in a dark, shiny color.

22. bonesy

bonesy

I don't know if it is "right" but my left and right are the same, only the outside bracket is different.

23. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I love reading about Appletons!

24. skooch

skooch

Probably stay flat black forever. I'm pretty rough on it and I like not having to worry about a nice paint job. Also, the body is still very rough and shiny would take a lot more work or dollars than I am willing to devote to.
    But then again I do change my mind a lot!