Register now to get rid of these ads!

A new metalshaping method

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John_Kelly, Dec 18, 2005.

1. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

I have come up with a new way to make reverse shapes. Typically, you would stretch the edge of a panel to make it grow and create a valley inboard. A very tricky bit of metalshaping to get right. A reverse is anywhere that the panel has on outward curve in one direction and an inward (reverse) curve in the other direction. A good example would be the cowl area on some early cars. A potato chip is a reverse shape as well. The area where a fender flare blends into the body would be another example.

Instead of stretching the edge, use a crowned shrinking disc (I can make one for you, or make your own) to shrink the area where you want the valley to form. It helps to roll the panel over your leg first to get some curve in the opposite direction to the desired reverse. This method gives you absolute control of the panel. You no longer need to be an expert to make reverses. I have attached a picture of a test panel, and an example of a reverse on a fender flare.

Here is a little more information for anyone interested:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980121727059

The only downside is it is noisy and takes a while to do.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Attached Files:

2. Great information John...as usual!

3. Yes, very cool John, thanks for sharing!:)

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

John, I'm amazed how many guys call themselves metalmen and have
    never thought that ya could shrink metal with anything other than a
    torch. Today, I don't think that metalfinisning or hot shrinking , are being
    taught to the guys comming up in the trade.

I've used a dead 80 grit disc, for years to do the same thing. I shoulda'
    bought a disc a long time ago.

I don't care if your buildin customs or hot rods, a disc is something ya
    can actually use, that doesn't take years to learn to use.

5. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Thanks for the feedback guys! Pimpin paint, I just got some interest from a worldwide body tech training group for using the disc on the newer Audi aluminum cars...we'll see if it pans out. I've learned more using a shrinking disc than any other tool except maybe a hammer and dolly.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com