Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Long Time Coming, But Not There Yet...The Bass Hemi Model A Coupe Version 2.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Apr 9, 2010.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Wow, what a difference in the body................It looks great!!!

Finally the quality of the body matches the quality of the chassis.

I like it with out the clunky '32 gas tank, it lookd much better bobbed.

2. lorodz

lorodz

beautiful ....enjoy it..

3. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

One of the best cars to ever be posted on the HAMB, one of the best cars pounding the pavement in Texas, and simply one of the best and finest hot rods in the world.

Myself, I cannot wait to see it finally and fully finished with paint, but even as is it is fantastic!

Well done Brian, well done.

4. I was glad to get to see the car in person, the workmanship is awesome. I was too scairt to talk to Bass though. :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

6. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Glad I took the time to look at this thread. That thing is TUFF!

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Brian, Your Coupe gives me the horn fuckin' BIG time!You are a true craftsman, an outstanding job as always.

Nick.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

9. Brian ... Thanks for the update ... I've always thought your Coupe was bitchin' ... but now I'll have to say that it's "even more bitchin'-er" :D

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Finally got to a computer that doesn't have images blocked.

Wow...Bass, you are a ruler. This coupe just gets better and better. Keep up the great work man, I can't think of a better '28/'29 A coupe out there.

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Wow! That is bitchen. I hope my little Hemi sounds as good.

12. Loved the video,Bass. That coupe sounds wicked!!!! Hope to see the finished product!

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I made it down to Austin and back without any problems. Well, there were a couple of problems, but it wasn't the car...it was the loose nut behind the wheel!

I got the car more out of shape than I'd ever had it before on the way to the show on Saturday morning. I somehow broke the rear tires loose merging onto the highway and nearly wadded it up on a guardrail. Luckily I didn't panic and managed to get the car out of the worst fishtail I'd ever been in. Ended up getting the driver's side of the car completely off the ground and got the car stopped pointing the wrong way on the highway. Scary stuff.

Then I managed to get pulled over on the way from the show to the hotel on the same afternoon for mashing on it HARD through all 4 gears right in front of two cops. Oops. I didn't see them there and luckily the cop had a sense of humor about my "throttle hung" excuse. He let me go with a chuckle and a verbal warning.

Other than that...no real problems. The car ran and drove like a champ. It didn't even overheat in the completely frustrating downtown Austin traffic.

Now for some Q and A....

Thanks...I like it a lot better without the '32 tank as well. That's one of the good things about having a car in a constant state of change for this long...you can make take a long hard look at it and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Those are '46-48 rear hubs cut flat on the backside. Bob Wilson did the lathe work for me. Thanks Bob!

Same as the motor and dash...it's a factory '55 Buick color.

Fortunately for me, Lindsey is one of the most understanding people in the world. Now that the show is over I'm back on his car again. Updates soon.

Wow dude! That's a pretty hefty compliment! I don't know if I can believe that it's the most influential, but have you noticed how may '32 frames are being built with '40-style X-members since I posted the frame on the HAMB for the first time? :)

I really appreciate it.

Yes, '56 Studebaker.

These were stock Chrysler 2pc valves....a head broke off of one. After inspecting the heads, the valve guides were getting pretty worn. I think this particular guide just got too loose and let the valve move a little too much.

Now it has stainless one piece valves and new bronze guides.

Thanks Byron...that's really nice to read stuff like that. I also can't wait to see it finally painted and upholstered "for real".

That's always my goal with every project....to build the best example of whatever model of car it is that I'm doing. Of course, I don't always succeed, but having a goal set that high makes me try really hard.

I don't know if this will be the best '28-29 coupe ever when it's finished but I'm damn sure going to try my best to make it the best I can do.

Thanks for all the kind words guys....I do appreciate it!

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So much better with the '32 Tank gone. Before it was like a English bull dog and now with the tank gone it's like a American Pit Bull Terrier. Just looks far more athletic.

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

That car makes an entrance like no other. I can't wait to see it in paint.

16. S.F.

S.F.

Quote: (Same as the motor and dash...it's a factory '55 Buick color.)

Bitchin, and the firewall, white?

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

The firewall will be body color...interior will be black with white pearl like the seat.

Thanks guys!

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am supposed to be shooting my '52 a color very similar next winter.....Loyd Baken coupe color right?

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Brian that car explodes badass and is going nuclear when painted, I can't wait. Baddest A on the planet. $.02

20. I love this car, baddest A I've seen in years.

21. DRD57

DRD57

Very nice. I always enjoy your updates.

22. Hey Brian. I got to check out your car in person on Saturday and wow I don't have the words to descibe it other than it looks KILLER! Your work is a huge inspiration.

23. Mootz

Mootz

You should write a book on proportions. That thing is amazing, can't wait to see it "finished".

24. Brian, That car is Killer!! If you dont mind me asking... how did you secure/fasten those drip rails? THANKS

25. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Thats really cool...

26. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Normally on a '28-29 Standard Coupe, the top material (canvas or whatever) comes all the way down to the driprail, and the driprail holds it in place. The driprail is actually two pieces originally, with a slim C-channel that nails to the body wood through the body's tack strip, then the drip rail clips onto the channel.

My driprails are aftermarket pieces made like originals where they are supposed to clip onto the C-channel that gets nailed on, but I didn't want to do mine that way. I've heard stories of driprails popping off the channel over big bumps, railroad tracks, in heavy winds, etc.

So I left out the inner channel, nailed the body to the inside wood, then used 3M Panel Bond to attach the drip rail. It's a 2 part epoxy...the same stuff that's used to put new cars together.

Taped off the parts I didn't want to get the stuff on, slathered it into the body's drip rail tack strip, then clamped it and left it for 24 hrs. The panel bond cleans up with lacquer thinner, so I was able to get it cleaned up in the places where I need to.

[​IMG]

A little bit of space-age technology for a traditional hot rod.

-Brian

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Would have never thought that in a million years.

28. Thanks brother... much appreciated!!

29. NealinCA

NealinCA

Very nice...it just keeps getting better and better. I always look forward to you updates...some of the best stuff on the HAMB.

Only problem is that you make my metal work look like what you started with on this one...

Neal