Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Letter From Hell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Right! Shit costs me $60 a month!

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I wouldn't destroy it, nor would I show it to anyone. I don't know what I would do with it honestly. Just put it aside in the attic for now.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow. This is a strange twist of events. Thank you for telling us about this and how it is affecting you. I cannot imagine what happens next...

One thing for sure is that I will spend some time revisiting this story of this tragedy.

Interestingly, the event took place about the same time a local judge and his wife were murdered nearby my home and I remember being younger and wondering what the world was coming to. Sort of a taste of "real life" that isn't really supposed to happen, but does.

4. Wow, how ironic. Just last night, I finished the book about him titled, "Mickey Thompson: The Fast Life and Tragic Death of a Racing Legend". It goes into great detail about the circumstances between Goodwin and Mickey and how it ultimately led to Mickey and Trudy's death. Mickey is one of my hot rod heros, and his death had a real affect on me.

Michael Goodwin is an egomaniac who made his money by being one of the originators of stadium supercross. He used to refer to himself as "The Master of the Universe", and flaunt his jewelery and mink trenchcoats and brag about hopping in his Learjet and flying to England for lunch. A real douchebag.

Many, many witnesses went down on record as hearing Goodwin personally say that he wanted to kill Mickey. He made or solicited numerous death threats by phone to Mickey and his wife. Nearly everyone close to Mickey automatically thought of Goodwin after the murders, but like all smart egomaniacs, he covered his tracks very well.

100% of the credit for his conviction goes to Mickey's sister Colleen, her husband Gary, and LAPD Detective Mark Lillienfeld. They never gave up. Colleen and Gary mortgaged their home to cover the reward and legal fees, and Det. Lillienfeld had the ardous task of revisiting a cold case that hadn't had any new leads in nearly 10 years. He did some amazing work.

The one part about the murder that really stuck with me was the way the killers did it. They killed Trudy first and make Mickey watch. The killers had obviously been instructed to do this because Trudy was the love of Mickey's life. That was a final F-You from Michael Goodwin, and for that, he needs to rot for the rest of his life in jail. It's a tragic story, and even after the guilty has been put behind bars, it doesn't give me closure.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Michael Goodwin is a 4 letter word.

shit.

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Hey Mike Goodwin, enjoying your internet access?
    You will never, ever get out and everyone knows you are pure shit.

7. racer756

racer756

Ryan,

Its interesting when things such as this find its way into our lives, I have a feeling that before you finished reading what was sent to you, you already knew in your heart and mind what to to with it.

Mickey Thompson IS a hero to many of us. Although I am very aware of the fine work he created over the years I am still amazed to find "new" M/T ideas or inventions that I come across in old mags or on the web.

RIP Mickey & Trudy

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Unless that letter has a confession in it or unknown details about the crime, who cares what he has to say.

Personally, I think its ridiculous that he has the opportunity to bother people with his letterwriting.

I think I'd send a letter of my own to his warden to complain.

Or I'd have a lawyer do it for me....

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Four pages of the HAMB and all he had to do is ruin Ryan's day and pick a general scab. OH YEA,,,,,,,,,,,, and murder a kind generous legend and role model!!!
    CHOKE A$$HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Naw, they shoulda' fried him.

11. beauishere

beauishere

Why is anything this asshole writes historic? He killed two people. That's it. The letter, regardless of it's content is disturbing and without any redeaming quality at all. It's receipt has obviously hurt Ryan and brought back painful memories for a lot of us.

I'd return it to sender and complain to the warden. Then think good thoughts of the Thompsons and put an end to this thread simply because it's more about that murdering prick than his victims.

12. I was about 14 when Mickey went 406 MPH and followed his many other record settings and attempts, his accomplishments were big
    I was shocked when he was murdered and found it hard to believe how long it took to find his killers

13. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

May Mickey and Trudy rest a little easier. Forget the perps' letter, and never mention his name on the HAMB again! Let him fade into oblivion!.

14. Ryan, I have always respected you for no other reason than you put up with the B.S. of running this forum. But now....wow. I don't think any of us is in a position to give you advice on this one. You are in a very singular position. One that I personally don't envy.
    I'd like to think we know you well enough to be confident you will follow your heart and make the right decision. What ever that is. Good luck with this, my friend.

15. Living is to good for that Bastard,I say give him some Charlie Daniels style justice,put him on his knees and tie him to a stump in the swamp and let the bugs,snakes and alligators do the rest!!!! If he passes out,revive him with smelling salts and do this all so he can see it happening in a mirror seein as how he is the most loved thing in his own life! This one for you Mickey and Trudy!!! R.I.P. we alll love you! Signed, Redline Racer

16. chubbie

chubbie

I was just thinking the same thing.....if you don't read it..history will never know. maybe he wants to tell the true story, and needs some one to write it

OR NOT..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. amitygravel

amitygravel

Hmm.
    That is some pretty heavy shit.
    I've never had a real strong grasp on the spoken word.
    At one point I did quite a bit of writing just for my own sake.
    For me writing was easier because I've always made things and I "made" something by writing.
    It will come to you at some point Ryan what to do with what you have here.
    Maybe that point is already here. Like they say , don't second guess your gut instinct.
    Not by any means to question your decision(s)....

The Truth is never over.

Craig

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  18. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Crazy..
    One thing I have to say is I have much respect for Ryan..even more after this. Alot of people would have handled this alot differently.Instead of going public with the letter, trying to make a buck off of it, or even promote the website, you stuck by your morals and kept the contents to yourself. There were to many paths a person could have gone down with this, I personally think you chose the right one. One that doesnt bring up more pain of the past for family and friends..doesnt give a criminal more of a spotlight, and that you hopefully find easier to deal with then what could have been. This is one of the reasons I think the HAMB is a pretty damn good place and why I keep coming back.

19. They still do that in California? Would save tax payers some $$$$$

20. autobilly

autobilly

An unexpected and in this case quite personal price to pay for your success Ryan.:(
    Ne illegitimi carborundum te!

21. evobuilder

evobuilder

this brings up memories of such sad things in the car world. I was 17 when this happened and living in So Cal, this was roughly the same time that some Super Shops employees were robbed and executed, then at one of the stadium "truck & tractor pull" type events, a dragster broke apart and the rear axle flew into the crowd at at least one person lost their life (if not more). So much happened around this time and just hearing about M/T brought back some memories.

My take on this letter is the same as most, I am willing to bet he sent this letter, whatever it says, to more than just you Ryan. I would imagine it went to some of the magazine as well. If his motive was to get a "buzz" started, then he has certainly done that, but I question what the reasoning is. Probably a book deal, plea deal, reformed and making ammends, whatever..... regardless, I hope no one publishes this letter.

As a fellow writer (and also not a journalist), I agree with your bringing this to light and also give you a lot of respect for not publishing the actual letter. Honestly, if it were me, I'd be contemplating handing it over to LAPD or whoever was working this murder at the time.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and thanks for not sharing too much.

22. truckjim

truckjim

My 2 cents is write down your thoughts and put them and the letter away. Let whoever goes thru your stuff figure out what to do with it.
    Just sayin'

I remember that day. Remember when JFK was shot. MLK too. Landing on the moon. All moments in time I'll never forget.

Thanks for sharing Ryan.

23. Ryan, remember, he was judged and convicted in a court of law. guilty or not his letter to you means nothing, it won't help him in any way, unless he just wanted to annoy you. don't give him the satisfaction, write back "sorry can't help" and go on with life...a life as a free man.

24. johnod

johnod

I just watched the tv special, lota of stuff i didn't know.
    I have no idea if Goodwin is guilty or not, the evidence presented seems pretty flimsy to me.
    He seems an unlikable sort, but that doesn't mean he's guilty.
    I'd just file the letter.

25. I was thinking the same thing. WTF!!!? They get Internet and TV free, those are luxuries!

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,... I guess I'll say it.

Ryan,.. Micky was a hero to you as well as many on this board. I don't know if the words of that man need to be written about, or reported on,... either way, I can't imagine the act of writing about it, would not be painful to you, as well as the Thompson family.

Either way, If you approach doing a story about it,.. it will be with a preconceived notion,... and not objective ( Because of your personal stake in it). Just to be clear,.. I share that same preconceived notion.

1. What will it accomplish ?

2. Will it change anything ?

3. Will you finally be able to put this to bed in your mind ? Or will this be a defining moment in your life that will always stay with you ?

Don't make any rash moves,.... give it time, maybe passing it along to somebody wanting to do a follow up report on it might be an option.

Mostly, don't let it eat at you,..... it's only a letter.

27. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

WOW, What a story! I dont even know what to say. I recall being about 10 years old when I heard of Mickey and Trudy's murder. I also remember being devastated for quite a while afterwards. I have a lot of respect for you Ryan, and I will support whatever you decide to do with the letter. I hope you dont let it take to much space in your mind, but thank you for sharing this piece of the story.

28. flamingokid

flamingokid

Goodwin is a chickens**t and he's flailing,trying to do anything he can to keep from serving life.Hopefully,a Hot Rodder guts him like a fish.

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, Ryan. In a really odd way, you're now connected to Mickey. I know that's stating the obvious but that's something childhood Ryan could've never imagined.

How many times have you read this letter so far? You're bright enough to read in between the lines, what's the tone?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  30. gonmad

gonmad

Roger that!!!