Register now to get rid of these ads!

A good start on the Winter reading list

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by av8, Sep 3, 2003.

1. av8

av8

Those book-reading evenings are fast approaching, and I'd like to kick off what will hopefully become a good and valuable list with a major piece of scholarship I'm just completing for the second time. It's the kind of book that takes more than a single pass to take it all in.

"HIGH PERFORMANCE" by Robert C. Post, published by The Johns Hopkins University Press, ISBN 0-8018-4654-4. Subtitled "The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing: 1950-1990," this book is THE definitive work on drag racing.

Robert Post is editor-in-cheif of the journal "Technology and Culture" and curator at the Smithsonian Insitition's Museum of American History. He's also a SoCal gearhead who's been around the movement from the late '40s.

Post's book is a scholarly tome, exhaustively and impeccably researched; there are 49 pages to explain the cited sources -- and lead the reader to even more interesting reading.

I won't attempt to describe the contents simply because I couldn't do it justice within a reasonable time and space. Trust me when I tell you this is an important book for the library of any who are genuinely interested in the performance side of the movement. But you needn't take my word for it. Don Garlits' assessment is that HIGH PERFORMANCE by Bob Post " . . . will be the bible of drag racing for future generations."

On top of all that, it's a great, compelling read.

2. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Sounds like a good read! Ever heard of Bruce Craven's "Fast Sofa"? It's a good hot-rod novel, in many ways. Am almost finished reading it.
    Am really hooked on one of Stephen King's newest, "From A Buick 8"- that guy describes old cars with such art, it's a shame they turn out to be evil. At any rate, it's got my vote. Will definitely look up Robert Post's book.
    Are there any hot-rod novels you suggest?

3. hemi

hemi

Good topic....I also read a lot as the light begins to fade earlier in the day...

Two books I've recently read that I would highly recommend would be:

1. "Super Stock--Drag Racing the Family Sedan" by Larry Davis.
    This book chronicles the rise of drag racing factory cars from the 50's through '68. It's a nice paced, easy to read book that documents and breaks down the evolution by the year. It's jam packed with facts, citing records, heroes, rule changes, how the factory classes helped spawn even more classes, thus fueling our production car development, and interjecting warm personal stories and folklore. It's a book that I revisit time and time again just to revel in the wonder.

Book number two:
    "Roy Richter: Striving for Excellence" by Art Bagnall.
    Just an all 'round GREAT book. If this book doesn't inspire you to do better in life, not much will. Roy's life story reads like a historic hot rod fairy tale and his warmth, and compassion for life continue to resonate to this day.

Book number three, I just got in the mail today, and I can hardly wait to read:

Pinky, by our very own C9..a.k.a. Jay Carnine. Very much looking forward to taking a ride through this one.
    (and I dig the chick on the cover... [​IMG] lol. )

4. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I can vouch for High Performance. I never finished it, but that's because I'm lazy.
    The cover photo is worth the price anyway. The exhuast coming out of the pipes isn't as blothcy as THIS photo makes it.

5. All mentioned are good books. Another three excellent books that are not new but worthy of mention, are the trio written by Don Montgomery. I have all three and loved em all.
    THOSE WILD FUEL ALTEREDS
    DRAGSTER AND FUNNY CAR MEMORIES
    SUPERCHARGED GAS COUPES

Attached Files:

6. av8

av8

Along the line of the Richter bio recommended by HEMI, there's "Mann of His Time," an excellent biography of motorcycle racer/designer Dick Mann by Ed Youngblood. For most people involved in motorcycle sport over the last half of the last century Dick needs no introduction. His counterparts in auto racing are folks like AJ Foyt and Don Garlits. The tales of the gypsy days of under-sponsored pro racers on the then-multi faceted AMA circuit in the '50s and '60s provide an interesting contrast to the current age of specialization and mega purses.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I hafta bookmark these......I want all of em. Christmas wish list maybe?

8. "Ultimate Sheetmetal Fabrication",by Tim Remus.And "Advanced Sheetmetal Fabrication".Also by Tim Remus.
    Must haves for anyone interested in metalshaping.Available from Ron Covell,among others.

9. hemi

hemi

Glad to see this thread resurfaced...I'm told there is more to read than the internet...is that true? [​IMG]

Another book, I like is "Hot Rod Model Kits" by Terry Jesse.
    If you've ever cracked open a model kit, this book will bring back some memories.
    It's loaded with historical background of the major manufactures, some insights from a few of the designers, and mainly focuses on the 60's and early 70's when Roth, Barris, Harry Bradley, and Tom Daniel were kings.
    Some of the models featured will definitely ring a bell with the hot rod crowd, as many were patterned after real cars that crawled the So-Cal streets and drag strips.
    [​IMG]

10. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

[ QUOTE ]
    "Robert Post is editor-in-cheif of the journal "Technology and Culture" and curator at the Smithsonian Institute's Museum of American History. He's also a SoCal gearhead who's been around the movement from the late '40s."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he the guy that got really wasted and started throwing beer bottles at Paso?

Ernie
    Sesame Street

11. av8

av8

I'm a little slow. You'll have to explain your joke to me.

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I missed that part about the Smithsonian. That has to be the one of the coolest jobs out there. He can put on the ruby slippers, while sitting in Archie's chair, playing the Star Spangled Banner on Dizzy Gilespie's cornet as he stares at the very flag that Key stared at during the defense of Ft.McHenry. Then he can go to the back room and ride the Atomic Bomb like Slim Pickins.

13. AV8, I started reading your How To Build a Traditional Hot Rod book last night. Perhaps thats the reason why I am so tired today. Its just too good, you and Tardel did a fine job on that book!

14. av8

av8

Thank you very much. I hope it's helpful to you.

Mike Bishop