Register now to get rid of these ads!

A GM 10 bolt? involves 8.5 and 8.2s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmc50lx, May 4, 2008.

1. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Okay guys I blew a ring gear in my coupe with an 8.2 it was on slicks and a minispool well when I built it a trashed the spider gears.Now that its on slicks I want to make it somewhere should wet weather arise so its going back to an open diff. and i was wondering if the spiders from an 8.5 would work. I have one outback and an open 8.2 carrier,cross shaft,and everything but spiders. So will 8.5 10 bolt spider gears work in an 8.2 carrier?I just may try anyway to see!

2. john56h

john56h

I don't think they'll fit. The 8.5" rear is quite a bit different from the 8.2".

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a limited slip carrier for a 8.5" rear. Or if you are going to purchase a new one, I've had really good luck with a Zexel Torsen "torque sensing differential". It is better than a posi or a locker and there are no clutches to slip or wear out. Cost wise it's around $500 though.

3. zbuickman

zbuickman

no they wont fit..... But some where I heard that with a "little" machine work and trimming of the housing a 8.5 diff will fit in an 8.2 housing......

disclaimer. I have never seen this done. and you know how the internet is.

4. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

No sorry about the confusion my car has an 8.2 in it and i have an 8.5 laying around I have the open 8.2 carrier but no spider gears so I was trying to see if just the 8.5 spider gears will work in an 8.2 carrier they look the same size

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

Ohh sorry If I worded my post wrong. no I dont think the 8.5 spiders will fit in a 8.2 diff. I think the "collar" part is larger. and Im not sure about the gear diamiter. I believe that the teeth count and pitch is correct though. also depending on the 8.5 some were 30 spline and some were 28 spline:)

6. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Ohh, yeah good call on the spline count didn't even think about that. Sometimes its good for a little out the box thinking. Thanks I'll still check 'em to see though.