Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Girl, Without A Gun. . .Part Quatre, Cuatro, Quattro, Ofen, Vier

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MissPrint, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MissPrint

MissPrint

The paint journey on the Edsel took an unexpected detour, but I now seem to be back on "track-ish". . .Don't know if she'll be in full paint by Round-Up, but she should be dayum close. . .

I've been remiss in posting lately, so here's an update, and more will be forthcoming in the next two weeks (Spring Break starts March 13th, so I'll have a full week to finish up remaining block sanding and body work and will be hitting this project hard then. . .)

Last week was able to pull off front and rear bumpers, and luckily, not as bad as I had anticipated:

Rear:
    [​IMG]

Front:
    [​IMG]

But since I've been at a bit of a standstill, I have been thinking about this journey, as well as the various incarnations of paint schemes that JamesD has so graciously done for me. . .and I think we've finally hit the final one (albiet with minor changes once we actually lay this out). . .and just for grins, I thought I'd share with you the "transformation" that has gone on.

I orginally asked for some basic tri-colour schemes:

Two Shades of Blue/Black
    [​IMG]

Silver/Black/Blue
    [​IMG]

Then JamesD created this masterpiece, based off the Mox Miller Impala paint scheme:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, due to my interior colours, welllll. . .the blue just wasn't gonna work. . . so back to the drawing page. . .

And this. . .which remained in the forefront for a long while:

[​IMG]

But the problem we kept encountering was how to incorporate the distinctive Edsel trim. . .it kept mucking up the lines and interrupting the scallops. . .

I even tried, in my ham handed way to try and photoshop her -- NOTE: Can you tell the difference between my effort and JamesD's ;):rolleyes:?

[​IMG]

JamesD even entertained my request for OVER THE TOP AND CRAZY and played around with this:

[​IMG]

The above one made both our eyes hurt ;) Quickly back to the drawing board. . .

But I think we've finally got it. . . The only difference here will be that the inset panel will be in silver flake, to match the roof. . .and there might be some very subtle scallops on the hood in silver flake as well. . .but the overall design, and the entire process of going thru this has been remarkable. . .frustrating, elating, exciting, humbling, but remarkable nonetheless. . .

Here it is:

[​IMG]

The journey continues. . . in large part, thanks to JamesD. . .Cannot begin to thank you enough for all the hours you've put into this, trying to help me get this "just right". . .

You, JamesD, in my book, are the epitome of the spirit of the HAMB. Thank you, my friend. Thank you :D

2. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

no red fingernails this time?

looks like you got a road map, time to hit the highway.

3. duffman

duffman

wow I like the reversal, the dark base makes the scallops pop and doesn't distract the eye as much as the white base...at least thats my 2cents

4. MissPrint

MissPrint

Nails are black and silver right now. . .in honour of the forthcoming paint. . .I promise to post pics of them when I get back to the shop tomorrow. . right now recovering from 3 hours of inking on my back :eek: can't crawl under my car to get off the last bits of chrome :rolleyes:

5. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

do gloss black instead of flat

6. MissPrint

MissPrint

That's the plan at this point. . .Shiny is good. ;)

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

ok cool, from the photoshop the black appeared to be flat

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Great! The only thing I would change is the tip of the reverse scallop that points to the peak in the trim. Instead of flippig it up, stop it short on the rear dor or the very beginning of the front door. Its just a bit too busy right there IMO and you've already set off the dip by the scallop coming from the front fender. Just a thought.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I like it!

I think I'd have to silver-flake the area inside the trim. Top notch! ;)

10. I can't wait to see it finished, that is going to look killer!!!

11. MissPrint

MissPrint

Yuppers. . .there will be. . .along with some flaked scallops on the hood. . .of course, I have to finish the body work and block sanding first. . .sooooo. . .a little more to go before we get there ;)

12. Boo! Hiss! You can do it, but you won´t like it.:p

13. MissPrint

MissPrint

I see what you're saying, completely and totally and excellent observations/comments which will certainly be taken into consideration

. . .I think the thing everyone has to remember is that the difference between photoshop and actually laying down lines on a real honest to gawd car is, well, just that. . . 2-dimension versus 3-dimension reality. . .;):D

What I really plan on doing is this. . .once she's ready to shoot, and all taped up is laying out the lines, walking away from it for a day or so, then coming back to really look at the layout. . .get a bit of time away from her to see what it really looks like. . .

I'm tryin' to learn a bit of patience here, takin' my time, and really being sure of what I want to do, and I'll tell ya what. . .paint and body work are teaching me that lesson in spades ;):D

14. MissPrint

MissPrint

LOL! Ahhh, everyone's a critic ;) It won't be solid. . .don't fret. . .you'll see. . .:D

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's a good recipe for paint bleeding under the tape. ;)

16. MissPrint

MissPrint

Nah, knowing how anal my paint guy is when it comes to tapin', he'll make me double, triple, quadruple check and retape anything even slightly poppin' up. . .;)

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

thank you... that is so good to hear.

18. phukinartie

phukinartie

I sure like the blue scheme Cmon'.... Girl with an upholstery needle part 1 ?

19. I've been following this for a while and can honestly say I'm digging the final decision. Can't wait to see 'er shine!

20. MissPrint

MissPrint

LOL -- Already been there, done that. . .Not gonna do it again for a while. . .

Took my seats from this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]
    and this (crushed black velvet with zebra striped inset panels):
    [​IMG]

Besides, I don't sew. . .but my mom sure does. . .I just rip stuff apart and have her put it back together :D;) . . .I don't know how pleased she'd be to do this all over again. . .

Moreover, I'd have to re-shoot the top and that ain't gonna happen :D

21. That is going to be one sharp Edsel.

22. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

oh yeah, crushed velvet.:cool:

23. Artie B

Artie B

The Edsel 's looking good...very cool!

James D is the Man when it comes to photoshop...Always there to help us out!

24. phukinartie

phukinartie

AHH! I didn't see that cool ass work ! That is a big neet nuh nee on my part!
    that car is sweet whatever you do!!

25. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Lookin gooooood! I can't wait to see the thing done.

26. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

those edsels definately lend themselves to scallops. Very cool paint ideas. Can't wait to see it finished. Still think it needs some cruiser skirts though lol:cool:

27. Cool! Me likes.

28. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Makin great progress. It will be and is a cool ride.

29. Dangler

Dangler
    from CHICO, CA

Yippeee!!!
    I'm very excited to see that you are back on your Edsel :D

30. been following this one...can't wait to see the final version sittin' outside gleamin' in the Texas Sun...wish there were more girls like yourself and Denise, Megan, etc in the hobby