Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Full-Fendered Side Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ^^ ( :) !!!!!!!!) .....

2. louisb

louisb

No lead? Plastic filler isn't traditional and will ruin the whole car for me. You should have gone with lead. :p

--louis

3. Haha! He's good...we hooked him up with this stuff (from the Jan 1940 issue of Popular Science) Body Filler.jpg ;

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm sure Louis was kidding. Since Bondo came out in '55, we can say the builder was using the latest high-tech products.

5. louisb

louisb

First it was an SBC and now plastic filler? What's next? 24" billet wheels? Boyd's red paint? Crushed velvet interior? :p

And yes I am kidding. This thread is seriously making me want a full fendered A coupe as a daily beater.

--louis

gwhite likes this.
  6. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Small block came out in '55. Ahhh-ha. I see a pattern here.

They say it comes in threes....

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

You need some of this stuff- I found it in a box of parts for my roadster. DSCN2329.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  8. That's a nice little shop you've got there.

snopeks garage likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just a little mid week bump

russellmn likes this.
  10. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sure keen to see some of this process, pitfalls and success. And what is product of choice? in this low VOC world.

otherwise ...looking good fellas!

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shitty iPhone photo of progress... Details this week.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457223636.087243.jpg

kiwijeff, Sancho, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  12. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I used to love me those Microspheres......but I went back to Lead.......and more Therapy.....:eek:

kiwijeff and Fly'n Kolors like this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Keep telling everyone that your putting a 265 in it and disguise that mouse motor out of your 38......

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Keith has started adding paint to the equation... Matching the original is gonna take some tricks, but I think it's gonna work out pretty damned well...

50.jpg

51.jpg

15. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

That's looking great....

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's a Crafty Fellow.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Went out to the shop tonight to drink some beer... but ran out... So....

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

63fdsnr, Tim, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The front end is coming together inside while a monsoon rages outside...

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

OL 55, 63fdsnr, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  19. Looks like things are progressing nicely. I couldn't help but notice that the Auderer Roadster was back in the shop? I thought it was out for paint at Gary Howard's?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  20. Are the lower shock mounts keyed?

Love where this one is going!

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just got back from getting some upholstery work done. Thinks it's headed to Gary's next.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hmm just using bits you had laying around? I mean the super bell axle and lower mounts.

After the conniption over the crate motor I figured you might be more inclined towards early stretched drop axle and lever shocks. Just curious.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The plan for this car was never to be period perfect. Instead, we decided to a build a really casual car that had the look of a survivor but that was all new mechanically. Why? Because that's what we have the budget and the time for... And both of us really like the idea of it.

As for the crate motor and the conniption, I think Keith and I both have made our bones on period perfect cars. Hell, anything with an over heard is considered a late model to both us... We ended up with a 327 for the car, but honestly - I wouldn't have been all that bummed with a crate motor either. Both are just SBCs to me. :)

Tim, AHotRod, CapeCodBob and 2 others like this.
  24. I guess that if the Boss can use those perch-pin lower shock mounts, I should be able to as well. So I guess I won't change mine after all. They surely do work well! :)

rod1 likes this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Makes sense to me. I was just curious.

26. I like what you're doing. I was wondering if you have ever chopped a little more out of the A pillar for a little rake to the roof line and how much more difficult that would be?

27. Rand Man

Rand Man

As far as I know, this car actually is a survivor. Aren't there signs it was hot-rodded in the '60's? Keith is fixing some some poor workmanship that happened along the way.

I pulled a Model A out of a ravine in 1977. That's a period I'm pretty fond of. I suspect this car is going to turn out to be exactly what I would have built, had I had the wherewithal at that time. This is looking like the car I always wanted.

"Period Perfect" maybe that's a relative term? I say Hell yes.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  28. louisb

louisb

My only complaint about this build is that I won't have the money to buy it when it comes time to sell.

--louis

29. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

When you chop the wood in the pillars, is it glued back together at some point or does it matter if it's not?

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has that similar savory aroma as my project. I'll take liberty on some things for reliability and convienience (like the Powergen and 12V), the tube front shocks and 4" dropped axle were already there, the exterior will remain as original as can be with respectful repair to the surface rust. Inside? Well that's a whole different story. All new, my woodgrain, some custom surprises here n there, and I'm not shy to say that after all these years my 1st V8 flatty under the hood. Yet still I go to the home garage and there's that 350, on the shelf are the gennie Cal Custom valve covers, in the basement an Offy tri-power, and a SBC to early Ford trans get up narrowly escaped me a cpl weeks ago. Frankly I'm almost glad I missed it.

This just in from the FWIW dept, this old bastard doesn't think either of you need speak about "...made our bones..." Anyone who can't tell is in the wrong hang out. Just sayin...