Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Full-Fendered Side Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2016.

1. silverdome

silverdome

Been there done that. It's funny how it always seems to get around the glasses or shield or even through the holes on the goggles. Hopefully it won't set him back more than a day. Payin' the ER bill will probably hurt worst though.

2. it is usually the ricochet that bounces a piece under the glasses. i have had it happen even with the full shield. the hardest thing is to resist the urge, to rub the eye. at least it wasn't actually on his birthday.
    even superman has his krytonite.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I've had more than a dozen metal slivers pulled from my eyes, and have worn safety glasses religiously since that first mistake. I used to even get some slivers that would fall down into my eyes later in the day from my hair. That's not much of a possibility anymore, and it doesn't look like that could happen to Mr. Tardel either.

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't know why I always feel the need to stick up for the lowly 350 on here , and I get the vintage sbc thing... Honest.. But I think alot of this hatred came from the sbc being called a belly button motor 15 years ago, and people giving themselves a pat on the back by saying ... " well at least it's not a 350"

350 version of the sbc lasted about 28 years in production cars and trucks, there is a reason for that... The much loved 327 only 9

Next argument is " well it's not old".... And I get that too.... BUT some how

5spds , mummerts bitchin yblock heads,French flathead blocks , new edelbrock slingshots, and block letter heads are ok because "they can look the part" ... Well a 350 can look the part

Actual convos I hear:

Guy says" hey cool a 59a flathead" -... No actually it's a French flathead made in the 80s..., - oh wow that's pretty cool too, least its not a sbc

"Wow edelbrock sling-shot... Is that an old one?"- no it's a new one...." Well at least you didn't pay 2k for an old one!"

" wow neat traditional car, 39 box"- No it's a 5spd-" oh cool at least you can drive it"

" wow that y-block really runs hard,nice to see a vintage motor... are those aluminum heads? - yes they are brand new made by a guy in sandiego ... "Wow really that's awesome"

" holy shit 327 , cragar blown4-71, 4-97s, and a magneto! Far out!... Soo cool, that thing sounds healthy!" - well actually sir it's a 350..... "Why would you go put a stupid belly button crate motor in such a neat car!!??"

Baumi, X38, 66gmc and 4 others like this.
  5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wear a ball cap! The right way around. Over twenty years in machine shops I have ever only had metal in my eye once. And I wear a hat religiously. Every other machinist I know who doesn't wear something that covers the top of their safety glasses has had multiple eye injuries. It works. Sorry for Keith's eye...

BradinNC, gwhite and catdad49 like this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg View attachment 3141239

My favorite fendered model A , I think I read somewhere it had a 283 with a 30/30 and a glide seems like it would have to have atleast 4.88 gear for that to even move , but anyway cool looking car

I been told urgent care and eye DR. Is the way to go for metal in the eye VS. the ER... It's happened to me 3 times all with safety glasses I always say I'm going to start wearing goggles but never do

-Brent-, kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bubba
    Hell, I think I'd rather see a y-block in that A coupe than a 350. But I think our work here is done, we'll get over it. Save your strength for the next project from the Atomic-Rex skunkworks. If they can turn this one for some fast green maybe they will see fit to take a poll and let us members brainstorm a combo 327/4speed on the next one.

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, 3w, guarantee you will remain in our prayers until such time you feel justified talkin' to the BOSS in that tone. Get well, Bud. P.S. You might want to sneak in another DARVON. ha ha

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  9. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Alright, this may come sounding like I'm an arse'ole, but truly that's not my intention.
    Mr. Tardel clearly has abilities, skills, vision and the "eye" that I can only dream of having. His attention to detail and standard of craftsmanship is without question. I am having a real problem with the crate motor option. From a pure economics standpoint, it does make fiscal sense, if that is the main criteria. But we are talking traditional hot rods here. This car is going to be flipped. Being cynical here, the main reason for putting a crate motor in this survivor car is to have less outlay/more profit? I do understand the needs of a small business, I have owned them, still do. But this site preaches the gospel of traditional cars built in a traditional way. I fully acknowledge that a SBC is traditional. I also realize it is a 350 SBC in there now, but don't you owe it to the car to put it back to something more period. I'm assuming the Cragar wheels aren't going to stay. I'm also assuming any other details which don't quite fit the vision will be changed. So whatever criteria are used to change those out should surely be against a crate motor. I am seeing a contradiction here. Either sell it without an engine and let the new owner choose, (and fit it for them), or put something better than a new crate motor in. Doesn't the car deserve better.
    I have no doubt this car will end up fantastic. Tardel is building it, how could it be anything else. I guess the reason a lot of us "regular" guys would put a crate motor in, I think shouldn't apply to him. . He is anything but "normal" when it comes to building traditional hot rods.
    In a full act of disclosure, my coupe has a '61 283 SBC, with a700r4 behind it. Being just a "normal" guy, I justify the transmission choice based on the fact that my daughter likes riding with my wife and me. It just felt weird the thought of the gear shift coming up through my daughters legs.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metal in the eye :eek: That sucks man, and that little sliver makes a lot of pain. I don't think I'm going out too far on a limb saying it's not his 1st time. Glasses, face shield, goggles, sometimes it's just gonna happen. Had a site supervisor threaten to send me home if I didn't wear my safety glasses to remove a shit ton of filler from a door and 1/4 panel. Anyone ever sand almost 1/2" of filler back with a 7" "bondo buster" D/A? Put safety glasses on and the powder traps in there like a vacuum hose is attached. Why mention it here? I know you have a clean shell and fenders but you might find some somewhere in all those body parts. Unless you wear a full hood like a sand blaster get up you're better with nothing but a fan at your back. I hope the healing process goes fast, but you only need 1 eye to bang a keyboard and get some of the other issues worked out.

Hey Limey Kid, good input, and don't sell yourself short on your own vision/ability. Still, and in an effort to help throw the last bucket of water on that fire, the only thing that has a few knickers in a twist on the subject is how the W O R D S are used to describe the job. "Crate motor" has a 40 grit context in most any SBC topic on the board. I'll also go as far to say that if someone was doing an old SS/A Mopar build and said "crate motor" about their brand new 426 HEMI not a word would be spoken in the same tone. Sometimes we need to get over terminology and get on with what counts. If nothing were said, or at least if those 2 words weren't used, the flatulent fumes wouldn't be here. Nothin personal, in fact to anyone who's mentioned it as well.

3wLarry likes this.
  11. Zykotec

Zykotec

If you go for the crate motor, just tell people it's a 283, bored out to 4 inches and stroked to 3.48 inches.
    Any crate engine is still a bunch better than the typical 145 hp smogmotor 350 out of a 76 Malibu...

Scooterville likes this.
  12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice looking start to what will be a great build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. Get well soon Tardel! Do what ya gotta do with the mill. Ya can't go wrong with a 283/4spd though. That's what I'm running in my 41. :)

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this car is going to kick ass! way to go man...get well soon Tardel I've been there it sucks, happens so fast

15. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Sorry to hear about the pain, kinda like rodeo, working on old cars is not "if "you get hurt but "when and how bad". Hope for a complete recovery.
    I really don't understand the 350 hatred some people have. I understand messing with old/odd engines on my own stuff ( I daily drive a 392 international, and my truck has a 472 caddilac), and I am willing to pay the price to be different. But when I build a car to flip, for seat of the pants power vs.economy, coupled with ease of finding parts and self maintenance , there is nothing even close to the sbc and an odd engine may even scare off a buyer! (except when you guys are building it a Hamber will be the most likely next owner) In fact I bet if you could go back to the average hot-rodder in the 50's, and offered to trade their flat heads , y blocks or their 283 for a new chev 350, 90% would jump at it. If it's dressed properly, (especially with multiple carbs imo) that is the right way to go, as budget is almost everything on a flip.
    Love the chop by the way, and will enjoy whatever you guys end up doing.

16. Get well soon Keith and I hope to see you back on stage shortly.
    This is going to be another tasteful build from you guys, for sure.

BTW, I see your lift being installed, another improvement that will make work easier.

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, thirtytwo. WELL STATED ! I hope to shake your hand when we go to El Mirage this year, or sometime when we drop down to Huntington Beach. You hit the proverbial nail on the head. I have met Ford guys in Texas who literally HATE Chevies and everything about them. Personally, I think the thin-wall Fords are great engines, but I can build four SBCs for the cost of one 302 or whatever, and since I don't wring an engine out, ONE will last forever. If Ford fuckers want to spend their kids' inheritance to have a Ford in a Ford, I wish them the best. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, sounds as badass as a SBC with a solid-lifter Duntov 30-30. Rant is over. We will be driving our Deuce highboy(SBC, 700R4, Vintage Air heat/ac) when we come West.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    missmuriel likes this.
  18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, those Aussies build SOME KIND OF RODS. I haven't seen any posts from WHODAKY lately.

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't fucking believe it ! ! All this muckety muck about a Model A coupe. "Chop it 3", no 4", OK 6". Use a crate motor, or maybe a 265, 283, 327, 732, 901, 221, etc. Everyone is jumping through his ass to convince Vern's boy and our Irish leader to do this, do that, yet N O B O D Y has said a single word about the Deuce roadster sitting in the corner, quietly waiting its turn. THAT, my fellow HAMBers, is truly an abomination, cruel and unusual punishment, abandonment, and I need a crying towel. Carry on.

20. Bader2

Bader2

Are you pissed er what's your deal?

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RYAN, ORDER THAT CRATE MOTOR ! Remember the budget ! !

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bader2, this is an attempt at rodder humor. It seems I awakened the troops. By the way, your coupe has the "look", which is what Barry Lobeck was famous for. HOWEVER, remember that I am not apologizing. At 69 years young, I have earned the right to upset people, then laugh about it. I would dearly love to have Ryan AND Vern's boy for Grandsons.

russellmn likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Super combination, Scooterville. I always thought the 327 was just a bitch of an engine. My '40 sedan has one sittin' between the rails, and I think it makes it kinda special.

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We of the modern V-8 ilk just love cruising at a steady 75 mph until we get tired of riding. You just can't do that in a T, or an A, or a flathead equipped rod. :D:)

25. louisb

louisb

Didnt I remember talk of a flathead assembly video a while back? This might be the perfect candidate for that motor since there is no real deadline. You could keep the cost down by building it mostly stock. Selling the video would help justify the added expense. Just saying.

--louis

gwhite likes this.
  26. Bader2

Bader2

If a rebuild on a chivy ain't in the budget,a flathead rebuild REALLY ain't in the budget.

belair likes this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ha. Y'all are funny.

28. If you can't, then you're doing it wrong :D. Ask @MrModelT....bang bang!

D.Lee and Hitchhiker like this.
  29. @Ryan, how's Keith? Looking forward to updates!!

30. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

this build has us all whipped up into a frenzy. :)