Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Fuel Coupes - Don Montgomery '32 3w

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKrod, Mar 31, 2014.

1. jnaki

jnaki

hey guys,
    i just found this in my files. 1960 lions dragstrip the white 34 chopped coupe with the devil on the radiator. drifters coupe?
    jnaki

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Here is the only clip I was able to get on the Mooneyham coupe. The clip is from a 1960 Bakersfield Smokers Meet. Front row fence seats were hard to get as the day went on to the last race. Much later in So Cal, a friend took us to see the 60's version somewhere in Lakewood. It was very cool and impressive.
    Jnaki

Mark Hinds, elgringo71, 3day and 3 others like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2016-9-29_6-36-48.png
    Clip from the short movie...Bakersfield 1960
    Jnaki

Attached Files:

AHotRod, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Very cool Junji! I was all over Famoso at the 1960 meet trying to snap photos with my little Brownie camera. Ron DiCicco was the driver before Larry Faust took over. I think this must be the only video of the coupe in silver. The coupe was eventually painted blue because you could still see the original 554 lakes number showing through the silver. Al Sharpe had a sign painter apply the numbers, and what ever paint the guy used showed up under the silver, even after being sanded off. This silver was taped off, and became the silver 554 numbers.

jnaki, loudbang and Stovebolt like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Thanks, Dean... I was all over the Smokers Dragstrip trying to get the best shots. But, everyone crowded up to the fence and the spots were at a premium. Especially during the final eliminations. Once there, it was like a rock concert, people just kept coming up to the fence and squeezing in to get a view of the racing. Sorry, I did not get more shots of the coupe, it was a So Cal racer and I tried to get shots of those we knew.
    But, it was a great time there. We were just kids out having fun.

Thanks,
    Jnaki
    (look what popped up at the end of one of my movie clips...) Bakersfield 1960
    upload_2016-9-30_4-8-34.png

6. Dave's32insocal

Dave's32insocal

Saw your interest in the Roto-Faze Coupe,will be helping Joe take it to the LA Roadster show this year after 20 years it is truly a time capsule!

loudbang, KKrod and Jimmy B like this.
  7. KKrod

KKrod

Great that Joe and you are getting it out!! I won't be at LARS but I hope to see some pictures of it. I got to see it at the Muroc Reunion out at Edwards Airforce base. I think this was in 1996. That is when I took the picture of it. Cool.

loudbang likes this.
  8. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

This thread is cool I'm building a 32 ford fuel coupe with a potvin my friend ted brine runs a fuel coup 34 ford fuel coupe blue with 134 on the side. There are not too many of these coupe still out there today but they are a staple in hot rodding. For those of you who have had the great opportunity of even seeing one of these cars run on nitro down the track it is incredible. So much horsepower for such a small car to watch a fuel coupe in action is the coolest thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  9. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

[​IMG] Ted Brine and his 34 fuel coupe now here is a guy who is running a fuel coupe in the current day by keeping the tradition alive with out guys like him building cars like this one and actually running them not only just getting down the track but running good numbers too.

10. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

[​IMG] 32 fuel coupe being built just started getting things together for the build I have a build thread on here if any one Is intrested.

mad mikey, Louie, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  11. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

[​IMG] here is my dad's Goldy 32 he ran it on alcohol and 6 carbs if any one has any info on who might have this car it would be cool to find out what happen to it.

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You are about to be entertained!

loudbang likes this.
  14. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

[​IMG] here is another picture of my dad's 32 once again if anyone has seen this car let us know

15. tedbrine

tedbrine

PRP2016.jpg New to this history. #134 was built in 1980 on the east coast just because "we could". There was no plan other than to have fun and do something from the old days. It had to be a full bodied car, had to have doors and had to blown fuel Chrysler powered. We settled on a 34 Ford body and the name was my old NHRA D-1 fuel numbers from the early 70's. It was likely the first nostalgia type car in the east - before there was nostalgia. We ran it a few times and it caught on and we then were booked to run a number of nostalgia event in the east and Midwest through the 80's. The car was sold to a collector in 89. In 2010, he contacted me via the net and asked if I knew what had become of it after he sold it in the 90's. I had no idea and he started a search and 3 yrs later it turned up (virtually unchanged and nearly intact) in the collection of famed drag racer, Walt Austin. After some phone calls, Walt asked if I wanted to buy it back? I had no intention of that and was just curious. But, without much thought, I said "yes" and a few weeks later it was back in Pennsylvania. Walt was very gracious and sold it back for far less than it's value. He simply thought cars should go back to the original owener/builders - a real hot rod "patriot". Well, after a few weeks and parts, it was running once more for the first time in decades. We cackled it and folks who remembered it asked if it could be put back on the track once more. With help from our local NHRA tech official, we determined what had to be done (a lot!) to allow it to legally make runs. And so, with lots of upgrades mechanically and safety, it got back on the track in 2014 and we've taken it to various events in the ensuing years.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  16. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonderful story. Congratulations!

loudbang and tedbrine like this.
  17. tedbrine

tedbrine

IndyGoodguys1989.jpg 1989 vs the Mooneyham/Sharp coupe at Indy Goodguys. Billed as "East vs West" fuel coupes.

18. tedbrine

tedbrine

#134 AA/fuel coupe vs Winged Express - Bakersfield California Hot Rod Reunion 2016. BfieldvsWingedExpress2016.jpg

19. tedbrine

tedbrine

Maple Grove's 25th Anniversary - 1987 - closing out the celebration with an old style "smokin' em in" pass!

mad mikey, Hendee, KKrod and 3 others like this.
  20. tedbrine

tedbrine

KKrod and loudbang like this.
  21. tedbrine

tedbrine

22. tedbrine

tedbrine

California Hot Rod Reunion 2016 Bfield2016burnout2016.jpg

23. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Now this car is another one of my favorites this guy his name is George Walters is still alive and still shows this car though he has not raced it for some time now the car still runs and drives one of my all time favorite cars of all time.

24. KKrod

KKrod

Bringing this back up to the top. I just reread this thread again and I learned so much from Rockerhead (Don Montgomery), Ardun296, JimmyB, Dean Lowe and others. I wish I could find more material to post about fuel coupes so we could have more excellent comments.

If I had never sold it I think I would be driving it on the street. Medium blue, full fendered just exactly like Don had it, stock front axle, rear nerf bar, banjo, buick trans, etc. except no numbers or lettering and no engine setback. And no aluminum seats but with a 302 Jimmy. Maybe I will clone it someday if I live long enough.
    Karl

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'm with you on the street-"clone" notion Karl.

I would love to build a tribute to this car too - Wayne Chev 12 port, Packard trans, otherwise broadly the "Same"

loudbang likes this.
  26. KKrod

KKrod

Bringing this back up again.

Stogy likes this.
  27. KKrod

KKrod

Anything new to add?

28. dang...what crazy kids thinkin about a GMC multi port head thingie.....my uncle thought the same thing until 1957 1956 car GMC motor.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  29. KKrod

KKrod

Has anyone been to 3 dog garage and seen the restored Shinoda coupe?

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

@KKrod since this is in relation to your request it looks as if @Hank37 has been and here is a pic he took of the Forge (@rexrogers) restored Racer/Hotrod yeah thats a cool one indeed...Why the links because your request helps resurface great history on these Cool Hotrods that deserve to be seen over and over...Thanks KK

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-pics-larry-shinoda-chopstick-special.411169/

https://www.bornintheforge.com/cars...beth-myers-larry-shinoda-chop-sticks-special/

http://3dog.org/hotrods/hr_1932_ford_3win_shinoda.htm

Credit to Photographer @Hank37, Owner

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/3-dog-garage-tour.1046494/

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    KKrod, Hank37 and elgringo71 like this.