Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A few thoughts on the upcoming year.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chryslerfan55, Dec 16, 2018.

1. I will be starting off 2019 with a surgery and then I hope to log some miles in the '30, and take a few motorcycle trips...I normally log 10k-15k miles a year on the bike but this past year I only managed about 3000.
    I also want to start the process of collecting parts for my next build. My oldest is finishing college in a few months so I am hoping to free up some cash for projects... I am sure the wife has a different priority list than I do so we will see how far I get on that front...lol
    Also want to check a couple items off the bucket list like speedweek and autorama (I have a buddy in Rochester Hills so that one should be easy)
    Other than that I dont have to much planned different than past years.
    Chappy

2. Well the New Year. I got a ton of shit. Most of it is work and no need to bore you all with any of it.

Maybe I'll find time to play hot rods and motorcycles. I am an optimistic old cynic. :D

3. RMONTY

RMONTY

My plan is to quit talking about buying a multiprocess welder (TIG/ARC/PLASMA) and buy the damn thing. Then start cutting apart an old piece of junk Sedan Delivery body to fix a "chop gone bad" (not by me!) and weld it all back together. The past three years have been spent getting the chassis and engine (some say motor, some say mill) completed and I have pretty much all the big things I need. I had hoped to drive it to LSRU this year but unless y'all come give me a hand I wont make it this year. If you can live with yourselves and not come help, that's on you. But Happy Holidays to everyone! And a Happy New Year!

Oh yeah, I'll buy the beer and bbq while we are finishing her up!!

:rolleyes:;):p

4. Hey, Beaner! Look everyone, Beaner is back!

5. Sssssshhhhhhh

6. Budget36

Budget36

Don't rush into things...sleep on it for a bit;)

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Hey Beaner, whats going on with your old hot rod? Just wondering, and glad to see you back here . Merry Christmas .

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, good to see ol' Beaner back at the keyboard!!
    I hope to do a cosmetic facelift on my '28 highboy first, then do all the things I need to do to my Austin gasser so I can maybe make some passes at Dragfest or Eagle Field in '19. In between I'll keep working toward getting my '33 pu running.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm already registered for an event in June next year and I had better get my butt in gear getting the car together so I can go.
    That and I need to get going on my shop that I have been slacking off on.
    Bum knees and a painful foot issue have slowed down my productivity this year but I have to get with the program.

10. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

More of the same for me....Saving up nickels and dimes to put my Henry J together, keeping my son's street/strip car going.....

Devin

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  11. plan to get off my butt and get busy spending some time in the shop working on a project, Sale the 34 and put something different in its place and try to help all the Assorted nuts when I can and make a couple of cruise in's this years. And get some miles on the bike

12. I've decided to work a couple of more years, fatten up the retirement a bit more and there is a rumor of a buy-out for the old timers. Still battling chronic pain issues, my neck MRI looks awful but nobody is rushing up to offer surgery.

Still plan on moving forward with the '59 Ford, maybe squirt a little paint on it, but tend to little things it needs. I need to straighten out the garage and shop to give me more room to work. Also looking for another car, possibly OT if the right one comes along for my 396 into a 427 project.

Chucky and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Thanks for all the responses fellas, I appreciate it. Though I just realized I forgot to include the mods( i.e Ryan). So gentlemen feel free to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude likes this.
  14. robracer1

robracer1

Getting a top for my 32 ford highboy roadster, tired of getting got in rain storms and sale a 1950 ford I never should have never purchased that bit me in the ass.

15. carbking

carbking

(1) Finish digitizing most of the Stromberg carburetor records (at current rate, should occur maybe October or November).
    (2) Transfer many of my "treasures" to a younger enthusiast.

Jon.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Some random thoughts on what had taken place and what will lead us into the next year is exciting. Having retired a long time ago when our Granddaughter was born, that was our new direction. Spending time with her from 6 months old until now, at age 13 has paid off in droves. We did not have the relationship with our grandparents like the one she had or is having now.

It has been 13 really fun years of excitement. Growing up with our new son in the late 70s was really an eye opener, being first time, new parents. But with that knowledge, (and…being older and wiser…ha!) the experience with our granddaughter was/is delightful and very memorable. Plus, as “older” folks, it was a full days and nights of new adventures.

The good thing was, we were able to go home and recover for the next day’s journeys. (Although, there were plenty of opportunity for more,“next day journeys.”) Weekly sleepovers at our house for up to 5 days a week, helped out those young parents with new jobs looming over their heads. It was/is as if we were new parents all over again. Someone else was living in our house, one more time.

We just completed the 10th year of watching her dance performances. With her current ballet/dance group it has been the 7th year in her annual, December Nutcracker performance. Last year, she was Clara, this year, there were many roles, highlighted by being the "wind up, dancing doll"…talk about flowing, athletic, robotic moves!

So, there will be tons of support, support, and more support, as the continuing great grandparents/granddaughter relationship keeps on rolling for the year and beyond.

Jnaki

But, as we have gotten older and still wiser… our thoughts are to travel to the places we liked as youngsters and twenty somethings. Rekindling old memories helps being mellow and happy with how things have progressed to this point. Having a happy life so far, has led to (other than being sidetracked) not being able to continue drag racing and building hot rods, but that was a part of our younger life. If that is what was in our future, so that is how we will finish the long race…

As for now, keep the cars running in great condition as has been the case since 1959. Make more upgrade, improvements on our “last house.” Finally, keep thing simple for us and for our family in the future…That means cleaning out the closets, garage, and attics, so there is simplicity in our stuff.

One thing for the future: When our Granddaughter heard the sounds of a neighborhood, big V8 powered, hot rod cruising down the street in front of her house, she always ran to see it drive by. A bright red, convertible cruiser/hot rod always catches a young girl’s eyes and ears. So, for the distant future, there is hope, yet…teaching her to drive in a few years will be something of a full circle. If I can teach my wife (and later, my son) to drive a fast, 4 speed & 5 speed car, safely, this new direction will be something of a challenge for the future.

17. Just a modest list of expectations for the New Year! At the top of my list is to try and figure out what is going on with my '51 Olds' no start condition. I have until January 6, 2020 to get my eldest grandson's '69 El Camino finished for his 16th so I've got to get some serious work done on it. Stray Kat 500 and Hot Rod Hill Climb are on the car show must see/go to list again this year. That about covers it...

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update--40 std still in uph for 3 weeks-so 39 woody coming next week to do wiring ,ac, all the other stuff too-maybe 3-4 weeks. Gotta hustle-be 76 in a bit-get these two done and find another project before I get too old to do this stuff.

19. trollst

trollst

Me and the boss bought a new travel trailer last fall, gonna glamp our asses off, me, gonna do some long distance stuff in one of my hot rods, used to years ago on bikes, but never have I done serious mileage other than say....300 miles in a hot rod. My roadster is gonna get a workout this year.

20. I will be attending a old car enthuasit- Hoarder,s Estate Auction On New years day. There are a couple of tin indian mills im interested in.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that I finally got it running, I'm going to drive the fool out of the coupe. Then I may find a home for that 460 I have in the corner.

Coupe_Side.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  22. Crocodile

Crocodile

I am planning to get into my 47 long door coupe this year, with a goal of getting it at least half done. I am working towards a simple build that I can use as a summertime daily driver. A mix of traditional look and basic build style, and daily driver upgrades (brakes, overdrive, that sort of thing).
    If I can get the chassis/drivetrain done, and the metal work squared away, I will feel like I am on schedule.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still getting over a big move a year or so ago...This one at my age has been well different...okay but different...so the New Year will see a major assault on getting the Garage back in order so the Hotrod situation will be more accessible.

I want to address a couple issues on the Ole Hotrod over the winter months. Any issue addressed will be a step ahead. Finishing is not the goal...baby steps...turn key and go.

Getting some Art projects evolving and Part of this move is less work and more retire and that is sort of happening but it sorta feels weird after 40 years of punching in.

I want to make it to the Jalopy Showdown and hopefully meet Jeff Norwell and some of the many other Hambers that way. I'd like to get down to see Hamber Candyman who also is somewhat local to me and I met a Buddy of his and perhaps we will scoot down there together for a country drive.

So just basically take it as it comes...hopefully the weather will be okay among other things we can't control very well.

Happy New Year @chryslerfan55 and all you other Hoodlums...;)...may Health and Happiness be on you and your families side all year long and beyond.

24. Thanks Stogy. Same to you.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  25. Ziggster

Ziggster

Will be working on my GN JAP build. Hoping to have the chassis and driveline completed by summer. Certainly has been fun so far, and I've met so many seriously wonderful people the last 6 months collecting parts which is also part of the adventure. Just wished I started this all much sooner. May 2019 bring you all health, happiness, and the best memories ever!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-gn-jap-tribute-build.1131795/

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  27. pkhammer

pkhammer

Hoping to get the '32 chassis complete this year with rebuilt 331 Caddy, trans and diff all in place. Want to get the trim all polished for the '64 Falcon and back on the car along with the new carpet. Probably going to find it a new home then to finance the completion of the '32 pickup project.

28. boutlaw

boutlaw

Im looking forward to racing with Southern Outlaw Gassers again this season...first race Jan 26 in Holt Fla, remains to be seen if it will be raining at that time....We've had more rain than ever recorded in the south in 2018, hoping 2019 will be a bit more dry...
    On another note, I noticed how quite a few on this thread are talking about getting rid of "STUFF". Im in that boat to. I have so much stuff that's to good to throw away, but hardly worth the effort, or laziness on my part, to try and sell on CL or EB...I have a friggin swap meet box that I keep replenishing to take to the races, which has worked out pretty good, but stuff just not going out fast enough. Would somebody come up with a genius idea as to how to handle the problem? Happy New Year to you all.

29. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

2018 was a great year and 2019 will be even better.

Goals for 2019:
    Drive my old cars more than I drive my daily drivers.

Have all my cars on the road in the summer. I’ve always had at least one car in storage, they’ve never been home all at the same time.

See the twin engine dragster make a real pass under power. Transmission let us down last summer.
    [​IMG]

Attend the ELTA Big Go Drags again this year and make a respectable pass in a fast car.

Start and finish a rolling chassis for my friends Hillman Husky gasser.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. I will be entering 2019 with renewed ambition & a positive attitude. My shop addition is finally 99% done after 2 years (besides some trim & floor paint) Now I have plenty of room to keep both transport trucks & trailers inside & still have plenty of room to work on the cars. I have been trying to cut back on transports for the past few years (without much success) this year will be different as the cars have been sitting for far too long. I sold the 64 Chevy pickup a few weeks ago & it looks like a friend/customer wants my 57 Pontiac Chieftan 2dr HT (supposed to be a factory tri power). That leaves me only the 56 Chieftan in my avatar as my only "Hamb Friendly" I have 5 OT cars, 4 of which need to be done. One of those is my original car (OT) Mom & Dad bought brand new in 73, I bought from them in 78, put a small block & a 4 speed in it & drove it to high school! It is a full chassis car now. I must finish that one! I worked on several of them & the building over the holidays & am so looking forward to my next stretch at home!

God Bless & Happy New Year Everyone!
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20180831_085238596 (640x360).jpg
    IMG_20181219_123410285 (640x360).jpg IMG_20181219_123357765 (640x360).jpg IMG_20181219_123256625 (640x360).jpg IMG_20181219_161740402_HDR (640x360).jpg IMG_20181220_151138016 (640x360).jpg IMG_20181219_124158606_HDR (640x360).jpg IMG_20181113_122323237 (640x360).jpg

Attached Files: