Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Deal or Scam you tell me???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Antibilly, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Antibilly

Antibilly

how much is 600GB in good ol us dollars?
    I got this email after bidding on a buddys sports coupe. Seems odd. if its real it looks like a STEAL! but you tell me??
    you over seas boys could get a jump on this?

"[email protected] wrote:
    To eBay costumer.
    I tryed to sell my product on eBay and I sow that you are really intrested in purchesing one.I have a {FORD MODEL A RAT HOT ROD COUPE BODY ROADSTER} at the price of 600GBP.This price is with shipping included and I think that is a lot better then the one you are paying for the one you bid on.
    If you have questions I wait your reply at my e-mail adress: [email protected]
    Feel free to ask any details anytime.
    I accept Wetern Union,Money Gram, for payment and I use FedEx for delivery or UPS at your choise.
    This is my message to you and in case I disturebed you please excuse me.

Best Regards!!!"

2. Antibilly

Antibilly

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

drag/ is that one of those swedish bodies...the one promoted on ROADSTERS.COM.?
    Try to talk to Dave mann and find out......

4. flip7262

flip7262
    from Minnesota

Just a word of caution, I bought an intake from a guy who emailed me after bidding on one on ebay, I got screwed. Sent the money and no intake. Tell this guy to put it on ebay with a buy it now and then you will buy it right away. Just my thoughts, Mike

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

At the current rate of exchange you are looking at about $1,100. It looks like the guys in the photo are assembling an aftermarket set of body panels. If you were getting a stack of panels (instead of an assembled body) then shipping wouldn't be quite so expensive...however, your job of assembling the body would be a little more work.
    I have seen a number of metal aftermarket bodies on the market and wondered why they were asking so much money for them, I assumed it was just the the US market would pay their price. For instance, a Model A body sells for under $6K but a Deuce body is 50% more at about $9K. If these Brits are legit then it sounds like Brookville and a few other US companines may have some competition on their hands...

6. Antibilly

Antibilly

I dont even want it!!! and wouldnt send money over seas without being 100% sure
    just a heads up for anyone out there they might contact. lokks hokey

7. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

exchange rate is 1.7 us to 1 gbp. So it's about 1000 bucks. His email reads like a scam, but the pictures make me think otherwise. I'd ask for more pictures and see if he can produce them.

8. burger

burger

Ask if he'll accept a credit card. If he tries to screw you, your credit card company will likely refund your money and go after his ass. I bought some bogus computer parts online before and had to go this route to get my money back.

Ed

9. dondanno

dondanno

I just looked at Daves page and those are the same pictures. You might email him (Dave). Who knows the guy could have just swiped them....Danny

10. Mart

Mart

Too good to be true.
    Completely bogus.
    It would cost £600 to get that to you.
    If that was in the UK and £600 It would be 1000% underpriced, and then some.
    Also note grovelling apology at end and various misspellings.
    Bloody foreigners!
    Mart.

11. HOTROD30

HOTROD30
    from Marcy, NY

I say it is a scam. [​IMG]

It's your money.

12. Antibilly

Antibilly

SCAM SCAM!!!!!
    what can you do to call this to the attention of the bobbys

13. It has all the tell-tale signs of a scam. You should basically NEVER trust anything that comes through this way (via contacting the high bidder on a similaritem auction).

My guess is that probably stole the photos, created a dummy yahoo e-mail account, and are just waiting to rip you off. This scam happens all the time and any transactions you do outside of e-bay you are on your own for.

If it's too good to be true it probably is. I'd strongly advise you to run for the hills on this one.

Stacey

14. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

scam, no doubt. Those pics are stolen from a web-site. It's a Repro-Steel body, built in Sweden I believe. Dave Mann is the US distributor (roadsters.com); he should be made aware of this.

15. BigJim394

BigJim394

Definitely a scam. It has all the warning signals that ebay tells bidders about: Contacts you after an auction ends, Price too good to be true, wants you to pay by Western Union Moneygram which might as well be cash in an envelope.

From hanging out on ebay seller discussion boards, I have seen a few posts from bidders who were offered a new high end snowmobile from someone in Italy who contacted them after an auction ended. The same deal: too good a price, pay by Moneygram and they would ship it by FedEx air as part of the deal. Shipping a crated snowmobile (which the "seller" really did not have) by FedEx air would have cost more than his "asking" price.

Go to this ebay page:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-outside-sales.html
    and report what happened, making sure you give ebay the ebay user name listed when he sent you the offer via ebay "ask a question" email. Ebay will "NARU" him (make him a Non Registered User) but he will probably re-register with a dfferent hotmail or yahoo adress, but at least ebay will have a start on keeping this scammer out. Unfortunately ebay is being flooded with crooks like this guy, usually from outside the US. The ones located in Eastern Europe and Malasia are usually the worst ones.

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

ABSOLUTELY SCAM!!! Telltale sign is the way they cut-and-pasted the name of the item in their little form letter...

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

SCAM, no doubt about it.
    Man things are getting screwy out there.

18. BigJim394

BigJim394

Nads you would not believe how many people who bid on ebay listed plasma TVs, digital cameras and camcorders, and laptop computers, get similar offers to buy one of those items at a "too good to be true" price "off ebay". There are stories constantly about such scammer's attempts on the ebay discussion/chat boards. It's almost always from someone located outside the US.

19. Another scam, bad spelling and some pics stolen from another
    website. Last week 52 Nigerians were arrested in Amsterdam
    for their part in a huge e-mail fraude.
    Probably just the tip of the iceberg.

20. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Guarantee'd, if you go to try to sell anything in any online classifieds that has to do with "supercharger", you'll get hit up by the scammers that want to pay you with a certified check that is made out for more than you were asking (and they want you to send the difference back).... These low-lifes probably do this with guns, jewelry, just about anything that equates to big-dollar items. I think it's about time Interpol got on this crap, or at least good cooperation between different countries' law enforcement.
    RRRG [​IMG]

21. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I sent this guy an email asking for more info on this roadster body...let's see what he comes back with.

22. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

OK, so I send this valic guy an email asking about this body....you can read the trail of emails below...

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 11:46 AM
    To: '[email protected]'
    Subject: Roadster Body Enquiry

Could you please send me more information on the Model A roadster body that you have for sale. Thanks...
    Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 4:16 AM
    To: Chuck
    Subject: Re: Roadster Body Enquiry
    Hello,
    The unit is brand new and tell me what details are you intrested in.
    I wait your reply asap...
    Have a nice day!

Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 6:32 AM
    To: 'valic seller'
    Subject: RE: Roadster Body Enquiry
    All the info that you have on this body is relevant. Is this an original Ford body? If not, who manufactured it and are the tolerances correct? How will it be shipped; fully assembled or as a kit? What level of quality can I expect; is it as good as a Brookville body or is it a bit rougher, requiring some body work to get it in shape for paint? Any other info or photos would be helpful, thanks.

Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:12 AM
    To: Chuck
    Subject: RE: Roadster Body Enquiry
    Hello,
    It will come fully assembled and it is a original Ford body.
    At a scale of 1 to 10 this unit is situated at 9.
    I will shipp it via DHL and it will take about 3/4 days to recive it.
    I wait your reply asap and tell me if you are intrested.
    Have a nice day!

IT'S AN ORIGINAL FORD BODY THAT IS NEW...YEAH RIGHT...AND IT ONLY RATES A 9 ON SCALE OF 10 [​IMG]

23. Rolf

Rolf

This is kinda funny...maybe we should ALL e-mail them and ask for details...they would be so busy replying to e-mails that they would not have time to scam working stiffs like us...almost as bad as the Nigerian money transfers...

I would hate to see some naive hot-rodder-wannabe sending these guys their hard earned money though... [​IMG]

24. QQMOON

QQMOON

Get there address so as we can send someone over to check it out before shipping im sure one of us knows someone in there neck of the woods

25. Ask for detailed pics of certin things that he could not possibly get if it is a scam, which it most likley is

26. BigJim394

BigJim394

Ask him if he can throw in a set of Ginsu Knives to "sweeten the deal".

27. badpat

badpat

Contact ebay- to get your email address he would have to have an account, they might be able to trace him, and probably have a security firm that spends a lot of time and dollars hunting down people who discredit them.- you would be amazed at the people on the payroll of some large tech firms and the vatican [​IMG]

28. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The '32 roadster body shown in the pictures appears to be a very rare racing version, which was made without a cowl vent. Legend has it that only one of these bodies was ever produced, for Zora Arkus-Duntov, in the early 1920s, before he was born.

The seller's Yahoo profile is completely blank, and can be found at:
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/valic_seller

As some of you have figured out, the "seller" is a crook. He took those images of a Reprosteel body from this page of my Web site:
    http://www.roadsters.com/reprosteel/

Dave Mann
    Roadsters.com
    Phoenix, AZ
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/

29. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Look, these things pop up in my inbox EVERY STINKING DAY.

Here's four examples from the last 24 hours alone:
    EXAMPLE 1):
    "Dear Seller,

I wish to refer you to your advert placed on the internet for the sale of your early 331 Chrysler Firepower . Haven taken a good look, at your advert, I have decided to make a formal bid for the purchase of the early 331 Chrysler Firepower .Please confirm it's availability and in good conditions.If there are more information on it please feel free to send it to me . In terms of shipping, that would be taken care off by me (personally).I Will be waiting for you reply. Note. I will like to have the purchase done in time because I will be leaving for my holidays soon.

Best Regards,
    Paul.

NB: I will be expceting your reply with the last offer for this early 331 Chrysler Firepower ."

EXAMPLE 2):
    "DEAR SIR,
    I AM MR KIM LONG,I AM BASED IN AMSTERDAM
    .I SAW YOUR ADVERT ON THE POSTED ADDS AND IT
    CAUGHT MY EYE .WITH GREAT INTEREST,I'D LIKE TO
    PURCHASE THIS GOODS OF YOURS
    AS ITS LIKE A MOVING FORCE IN THIS PART OF THE
    WORLD.I AM A US CITIZEN BORN IN CARLIFONIA ,I AM
    HERE IN AFRICA ON A PROJECT WHICH I WILL REQUIRE
    ITEMS TO FACILITATES THE PROJECT.
    I WILL LIKE TO GET YOUR Vortech 4GL218-010SQ supercharger kit for 2000-2 GM boat towing vehicles
    WILLING TO PAY $ 3890
    ABOUT SHIPPING;I HAVE A RELIABLE SERVICE WHO WILL BE
    AT YOUR BASE AS SOON AS A DEAL IS SEALED.I'LL KINDLY
    AWAIT YOUR TIMELY REPLY WITH POSITIVITY IN RESPECT
    TO MY DISCCUSSION.HAVE A NICE DAY.

THANKS

KIM LONG"

EXAMPLE 3):
    "Hello seller,
    my name is jones am highly intrested in purchasing ur parts urgently please if it is still available do let me know urgently assap.i will never want u to warry about shipping."

EXAMPLE 4):
    "hello,
    It's been nice know this web-site and truly found what exact thing have
    been looking for.I got the placement of your the advert of your TX-19 boat from a decent site and decided to make a contact with you and really found out about what your last offer is cos' i saw $00 as the price and i think is some how expensive, also i will like to know theexact condition of the motorcycle.I reside in the west part of africa and
    specialized in buying of used engine and resale them for any of my cleint that said He/she want to purchase it from me and now i have one.expecting your reply!
    Regards."

ARE YOU GUYS STARTING TO SEE ANY PATTERNS??? The strange verbage, the cut-and-paste of the item names (sometimes more obvious with the different fonts that show up in the e-mails but not in my post here in this thread), etc.

They have become so obvious to me, I delete them in a second--- but they are annoying and I also can't help but wonder how many suckers are getting taken. The only difference between yours and mine is that in mine, these crooks are supposedly trying to "purchase" my stuff and in yours they are trying to "sell" you something. But it's all the same. If you're going to spend much time on the internet, learn how to figure out who's a rip-off and who's not. It's not that hard, you just have to think about it.

30. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Hee are some of the come-ons that I've received from people like this:

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
    To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Subject: INTERESTED TO BUY

Dear Dave Mann,

How are you today? Am delighted and interested to buy your product of BODY KIT WITH FIREWALL T.B.A $5,100, i will like to know more details of cost of shipment to my place.

I awaits your urgent reply.

Thanks and God bless.

John Obi.

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
    To: John Obi <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: INTERESTED TO BUY

Thanks for writing, John. Where are you, and where do you need it shipped to?

Dave Mann
    Roadsters.com
    3432 West Wilshire Drive, #10
    Phoenix, AZ 85009
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:24:14 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Dave Mann <[email protected]>

Dear Dave Mann,

Thanks for your mail, well am shipping it to West Africa Nigeria to my parts company, i will like to buy 2 peaces of it.

Please get back to me so that i can prepare for the payment.I will like to you to mail all shipping process.

Thanks and God bless

John Obi

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:04:09 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Dave Mann <[email protected]>

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your mail, i will like to know if you are still interested, please get back at me so that i can prepare for the payment.

Thanks and God bless.

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:31:40 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: YOUR URGENT RESPOND

Good day,

I saw your placement of saling your product which is windshields which the prize is $1,399 and am highly interested in it, i will like to known the present condition and maybe you still have it in stock for known so that i can contact you immediately action on how to buy it from you.

Hope to hear from you,

David.

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:33:17 +0000
    Subject: order enquiry

Hello,

i will like to order for some products from your store and will like you to quote me the total shipping to lagos, nigeria. my method of payment is with creditcard and i will like to know your method of shipping. i will be glad if this mail is treated with concern.
    Best Regards
    Melina Martins