Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Coupe to Roadster pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradberry00, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello,
    I've been away from the hamb for awhile. I was wondering if anyone out there has been converting a 30-31 coupe into a roadster. Any pics of the process? Any Tech threads on this out there? I never have luck when I use the search. I have this coupe with the top chopped off just waiting to be worked on one of these days, need some inspiration.

Thanks,
    David

2. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

i did one a year or so ago...

,,, been posted before, but I was pretty happy with how it came out.

Attached Files:

3. Dyce

Dyce

I'm working on one off and on. I'll post more pictures later tonight when I get home. Here is a teaser.
    [​IMG]
    Jeff

4. sammyg

sammyg

So doing that wouldn't be sacrilegious?

5. Dyce

Dyce

Wouldn't be the first time, it's been done many times. Here is what I started with. Someone a long time ago started the job for me.

[​IMG]
    I made peices to cap off the quarters.
    [​IMG]
    I have a nibbler I made dies for to make the peices.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the peice for above the deck lid. It shows the shape.
    [​IMG]
    I decided I wanted a smoother look to the cowl. I plan on running a duvall style windsheild. The first picture shows the brace I made to support the cowl.
    [​IMG]
    Then I trimmed the posts and the original windsheild frame.
    [​IMG]
    I took a peice of 1/4 inch flat to make a molding that holds the dash and tank top in place. The bolts that you see holding it on will be replaced with round head tapered bolts. It was easier to work with the hex head for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the top peice I made for the 1940 chevy dash. It fits under the molding like I said.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is welded in, I gas welded everything. I might be slow, but that weld across the dash took at least 7 hours.
    [​IMG]
    I had to make some slices. You can see how the dash mounts to the doorpost in this picture.
    [​IMG]
    These are the end plates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ok enough of the dash. Here is what I did with the doors. I narrowed up the door to take the window slot out. Here is a pic of the door top.
    [​IMG]
    I rolled it in to match the cowl.
    [​IMG]
    I took 1/2 out of the width in the front, and 3/4 out of the rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't flush mount the doors. I plan on running late model latches. I wish I had time to work on it, been a few months:(.
    Jeff

6. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NICE WORK!

are coupe doors longer than roaster doors or vice versa?

7. bigjohnson

bigjohnson

Yep, coupe doors are a few inches longer than roadster doors.

8. Shit you do good work! You need to come down to Texas and finish my homemade Plymouth RPU.

9. Dyce

Dyce

As cold as it's been up here I'm real tempted:D. Thanks Richard.
    Jeff

10. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not my work, but i found a couple pics in my archive...thought i would add them.

Attached Files:

11. 18n57

18n57

Hey, good work!! I've got one of those in the barn, was wondering how to do some of the stuff that you just showed us. I really need to stop by and visit.

12. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can go up to watertown too and just do mine for me!

13. Dyce

Dyce

Making the caps for the rear quarters wasn't to bad. I made the dies in this picture and run them through the machine.
    [​IMG]
    I made the top a little flat because in the future I plan on making a removable top. If you made paterns and dies I could weld them on posts and make peices in a afternoon (and a 12 pack). Peices for the doors took alot more time. I made the driver side in two or three peices. Once I had that one done I could get a good shape patern off it and do the other side in one peice. I went overboard on the dash. It didn't need to unbolt. It took alot longer that way, but I think it will save headaches in the future wiring it. I've been to buisy to do much with it. I get pulled different directions.... I may redo the quarters. I really like the way they did the one David posted!! Looks like a roadster:rolleyes:.
    Jeff

14. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Dyce, Thanks for the coupster pictures. I am going to start on mine shortly. I will be using a 28 "A" roadster cowl and 31 sport coupe rear quarters and doors. Thinking of using a 68 VW dash in front of the stock gas tank, the soeedometer from a 52 F2 pickup. Your post will help emensely.

Thanks again

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

don't do it! haha, sorry i love coupes..

if done properly it can turn out very nicely. if that's what you want, go for it.

16. crashgravis

crashgravis

i'm pretty sure they will go to hell for it !