Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Santa's workshop Upper Jay N.Y. near Lake Placid N.Y.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. THANKS Jnaki, you have some big donuts on the west coast. This drive thru Donut hole is in La Puente Ca. 20180110_170740.jpg 20180110_170437(0).jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Ron, I'm so glad that you added this one. I have no pix of it, but it's been a favorite of mine for many years. Back before there were interstate highways and I was young enough to fit on the package tray in my father's Buick, my family wud go out Rt 30 in York while traveling to visit my grandparents. That's when I first saw the "shoe house." Whenever we made our annual trip to visit the grandparents from then on, I was always anxious to see it, again. This past Oct, I travelled that road with a friend, who didn't know about the shoe house's existence when I mentioned it. I was pleased to see it was still there.

4. 20171028_161103.jpg { Bowtie coupe } I remember riding on the package tray too. Fun memories! I saw this on the vintage photo thread and I had to save it.:)

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have pictures, but something I always looked forward to was finding a new Burma Shave jingle. You remember the little red signs strung out for a quarter mile or so, each one had a line of the jingle on it. One of my favorites was, "The Blackened Forest", "Smolders Yet", "Because He Flipped", "A Cigarette", "Burma Shave". Amazing the things that you remember that made you happy when you were a kid.

loudbang, warbird1, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  6. Some of these are pertty cool, It would be nice if we could include location of the ones that are still there.

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. HEHEHEHEH!! Cud be me, for sure. I don't know why laying up there was better than across the seat, but it was!!!

8. Parents would get arrested for that now! Did you drool on the seat?:oops:

9. The "Shoe House" is located east of the I-83/US-30 interchange. Travel east on US-30 a short distance to the Hallam area (don't have specific mileage). Looking to your right. It sits up on a hill just before an overpass. If you go past a radio station (it used to be WARM, but it has new call letters now, maybe WSBA, I can't recall) which is also on your right, you've gone too far.

10. That's for sure. But if I'd known about the safety issues I know about now, I'd probably be buckled in on the seat. Naw, no drooling, just made a lot of ZZZZZZZZZZ's. Some years later, I made other marks on the backseat!:eek::D;)

11. Marcia

Marcia

The view! Lay on your back and watch the trees and clouds go by.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  12. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This roadside attraction in Bliss Idaho was a favorite for kids and sold dinosaur related trinkets... 14056754999_d469c20b07_b.jpg

302GMC, Bowtie Coupe, Oilguy and 6 others like this.
  13. 091.jpg 092.jpg 090.jpg 093.jpg I visited a couple Civil War battlefields today. This was the battle of Fisher's Hill. The Fisher's Hill Mill and Railroad.

14. This was the battlefield, of the battle of Ramseur's Hill. Also the Civil War Hospital for it. 146.jpg 097.jpg

15. loudbang

loudbang

The second most visited tourist place in NY after Niagra Falls is HOWE CAVERNS. Fairly close to Lebanon Valley Dragway. We used to go to LV for Friday night test and tune then Saturday spend the day at the cavern and head back to LV for Sunday racing.

Place is so huge you can even take a tour boat ride inside

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. A COW named Sue. The world's largest COW. She's 50 feet tall. She's in New Salem ND. 20180112_010325.jpg

chryslerfan55, wraymen, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  17. ^^^^That's "utterly" amazing!^^^^:D;)

18. Mike

Mike

there are still some Burma Shave signs up on old Route 66 here in AZ.

19. The last one to survive in Ashland , Ore. ( on old Rout 99 ) said,,, "Ben met Anna,,,,,, Made a hit.,,,,,,, He wouldn't shave,,,,, Ben, Anna split !",,,, I'll remember that for my life time,. It was stolen in the '7o's.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. Oilguy

Oilguy

Burma Shave near Castle Rock WA: "Round the corner car was whizzen fault was hers funeral hizzen"

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. atch

atch

I'm not sure, but I think that all of the Burma Shave jingles are on here.

I once read a book that purported to contain every one of them. It might have been the book shown on this site.

Now back to this interesting thread...

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Oilguy like this.
  22. It's Sue the cow's boyfriend ALBERT, A buffalo. 20180112_004426.jpg

Attached Files:

wraymen, TFoch, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  23. You beet me to the punch! About 45 minutes north of me.

The Howe Caverns lodge 1939
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    upload_2018-1-12_15-26-59.jpeg
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  24. There is also Secret Caverns (opened 1929) a couple miles from Howe Caverns. Secret Caverns has a 100' water fall.
    upload_2018-1-12_15-34-6.jpeg upload_2018-1-12_15-38-44.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    Vintage 1950's New York State Secret Caverns Brochure
    [​IMG][​IMG]

25. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

This has a lot of history in Atlantic city NJ. untitled.png

26. The Old Stone Fort built in 1772 as a church. During the American Revolution, it was fortified by enclosing the stone church within a wooden stockade. In 1780 the fort was attacked by an army of 800 Loyalists and Indians.
    -From https://theoldstonefort.org/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below-Cannon Ball Hole made when the Fort was attacked by the British Tories and Indians under Sir John Johnson and the Indian Chief Joseph Brant during the raid of 1780.
    [​IMG]
    From-http://www.revolutionaryday.com/nyroute5/schoharie/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Old Stone Fort Museum Complex include an early 1700s home, a 1780s Dutch barn, an 1830s law office, and an 1890s one-room schoolhouse.

wraymen, TFoch, Oilguy and 5 others like this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bunc
    Bunch of guys I knew when I worked as an NTD Boilermaker for Chicago Bridge and Iron built this tower. It was fabricated at the CB&I shop on the north side of Kankakee, IL and trucked in pieces to the job site. The erection crew did a beautiful job putting it together. Some, not all, of the stuff I got to work on wound up looking like a bag of walnuts.

28. Jumpin Jacks Scotia N.Y. (west of Albany) opened 1952 next to the Mohawk river. My dad remembers the parking lot full of 55 Chevys with no front bumpers, ball joint spacers and slap bars!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hurricane Irene 2011-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Reopened 2012
    You know it's spring Jumpin Jack's opens!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018