Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. West Virginia Strip Club

hole2.jpg

hole.jpg

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ledgens47.Worked for Lew Montgomery`s golf cart business back in the late 60`s.Pretty good guy to work for.What did you think about the table in the"Hall of Giants"?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. I'm not quite sure I want to see the unbelievable or even hear about it.:);)

4. gatz

gatz

29A-V8 and 62hotcat like this.
  5. ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Oilguy

Oilguy

Near Ridgefield, WA.

Attached Files:

7. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leo, I can’t remember the table but will get up that way in the next couple of weeks and check it out.

8. Here's a few pics of Terri (@Born a HotRodGal) & Darryl (@hollenbeck32) Hollenbeck's 2016 AMBR winning Deuce Roadster at some "Roadside Attractions":

Hollenbeck Deuce @ Bedrock City, AZ.jpg
    Flintstones Bedrock City - Williams, AZ

Hollenbeck Deuce @ Klamath Drive-Thru Tree.jpg
    Trees of Mystery - Klamath, CA

Hollenbeck Deuce @ Rancho Seco.jpg
    Rancho Seco Nuclear Generating Station - Herald, CA

Hollenbeck Deuce @ Pixar.jpg
    PIXAR - Emeryville, CA

Deuce Hiboys @ Borradori Garage in Cayucos CA.jpg
    Borradori Garage - Cayucos, CA

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. pioneer-auto- murdo.jpg
    Surprised that this has,nt been posted. Great museum full of all sorts of neat stuff. Then go to WALL drugstore for 1c coffee.

29A-V8, czuch, warbird1 and 7 others like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Free Icewater!!

Sinclair used to have a big green dinosaur along 1-90 in SD too, it's a big ass state and takes a while to drive across.

11. Actually, it's a "campy" display where gravity appears to be defied. Balls appear to roll uphill and the room appears to be off level. I've got a "Mystery Hole" bumper sticker on my tool box. Located an hour from my house near Hawks Nest State Park. My wife and I take a "leaf peeper" road trip each fall and always stop at the Mystery Hole.

Jim

12. I was leaning toward a carnival/circus type side show thing but the strip club title threw me, LOL. I will make it a point to stop next time I head to Charleston.

13. b-bob

b-bob

Bowtie Coupe and fourspeedwagon like this.
  14. B-bob —— yep. They had it on the shirt when it was still at the original location. I think its been only 3 or 4 years since they moved it.
    The neighbor of the original spot now has a life size wrought iron replica of it. Pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Good morning, I passed this cool old Service Station, on Va. route 259. There wasn't anyone around at the time. So sorry, I don't have any info on it. But I did take a few pictures.;) Ron..... 033.jpg 034.jpg 035.jpg 036.jpg

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,

You guys were/are lucky that Krispy Kreme started back East, first. They did not get out West until 1999, but that location was too far to drive for everyday munchies. But, by 2006, others had popped up and this original one closed. Who knows why?

In our So Cal location, one Krispy Kreme popped up in an out of the way place that was inaccessible to all cars. A friend of mine (surfer friend) designed and executed the building of the bridge that went over the Amtrak Railroad that runs from San Diego to the LA Union Station. Once this bridge was built, this whole area was open for commerce. It was/is just within viewing of the busy I-5 freeway in Mission Viejo.

Our friend, who designed it, got a big laugh when all of us in the "surf line" told him that another bridge at the northern end was needed for easy access and egress. This was relevant especially during the heavy Christmas buying season. There was only one way out! (a giant bookstore, stereo, athletic wear, bedding, Best Buy, several fast food restaurants and auto repair, etc. some others have come and gone…)

There were lines of cars entering and exiting this huge location, even without the Krispy Kreme. So, years later when the Krispy Kreme built their store, it was a mad house for months, not just during the Christmas buying season. Since then, it has died down quite a bit. There are other local donut places that have just as big a following as this Krispy Kreme franchise.

Jnaki

It was fun to take our little granddaughter to see the assembly line of donuts being made and plopped into the baking vats. Luckily, it is also a far distance away from us and our granddaughter’s house. So, like most locals, the Krispy Kreme phenomenon has died down tremendously. "People just won't line up for doughnuts forever and ever."
    upload_2018-1-9_4-34-20.png

17. Mike

Mike

My Niece and her husband live less than 1/4 mile from that building.

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ledgens47.IIRC,as it has been 1984 since I was last there.But the table is something like 60ftx8ftx8"thick.Single slab of cypress:eek:.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. My Dad used to run me up to Cloverdale once in a while for a burger here.

[​IMG]

Unless it was a late night excursion then we went here.

[​IMG]
    This place used to be one that was open all night up on 101 north of San Francisco. Back when I was a kid Cloverdale was just a wide spot inn the road. I can remember having pie and coffee in the madugada more then once with the ol man when I was little. Then warmed enough a pull on the rum bottle ( just sip for me I was a little kid after all LOL) and back out on 101 'til the sun came up. ;)

20. I think this place is still in the redwoods, there used to be several even one that someone lived in

[​IMG]

TFoch, Bowtie Coupe, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took this picture in 1957 0r '58, somewhere in either Arizona or N. Mexico. I was around 11 and the family was on a trip to California in a '52 Buick. Neat sign to attract customers and I guess it worked!
    [​IMG]Terrible Terry's Gas Station by TagMan, on Flickr

22. This is a sort of a modern roadside attraction in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. It is owned by an older Mexican drag racer. We spent a few hours here with my granddaughter while she was trying to get used to the fact that she is Mexican and that's not a bad thing to be. Lots of neat old stuff including a Deuce coupe that the owner raced in the late '60s and '70s.

[​IMG]

23. This roadside attraction was actually traveling.;) But had stopped at a Walmart. 059.jpg

29A-V8, enloe, Chrisbcritter and 3 others like this.
  24. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

The good o'le USA is one COOL place to be....

25. Looks like Mad Max hooked up with the Partridge family.

Used to see a bunch of these types of rigs on 95 following The Grateful Dead tours back in the day.

26. What a great thread! Here's our Merc at the Tee Pees not to far from our place in Lawrence, Kansas.

image.jpeg

27. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Looks like the Merry Pranksters are on the move again.

28. Good Morning, Here's a picture that I took for, { your Hot Rod in front of } thread. So I thought I'd post it here also. Does anyone, { Jnaki };) know of a bigger Octopussy ? I like seeing some of the world's biggest stuff. Great Americana, and also makes good roadside attractions too. Ron.... 838.jpg

29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-1-10_5-43-55.png
    2015: The 405 freeway is to the right middle and the next corner is Wardlow Rd. that leads west to the old Lions Dragstrip.

Hey Ron,

No giant Octopussy that I know of in So Cal, but, how about the world’s largest donut? Who does not like donuts and coffee? In So Cal, there are a number of famous roadside donut shops that go back to the 50’s. We always wanted to stop at the many Randy’s Donuts, including the original one in the Inglewood area. It was the sight of the huge donut on top of the buildings that caught our attention when driving. At one time, they were all over So Cal.

“Randy's was built in 1953 (and first appears in the 1954 edition phone book) as the second location of the now-defunct Big Donut Drive-In chain by Russell C. Wendell, a doughnut machine salesman. There were 10 locations, built over the course of the 1950s.”
    upload_2018-1-10_5-45-41.png
    But, our favorite doughnut shop was on Santa Fe Ave around the corner from the old Lions Dragstrip. Mrs. Chapman’s Angel Food Donuts was about .5 mile away. It was on the way to/from Lions from our house, just south of the location. It was very popular place to get coffee and donuts from this business, for those long days and late nights at the dragstrip. It is still located there, today. The large donut is just beckoning everyone to stop and have a glazed...
    upload_2018-1-10_5-47-3.png
    Last week, I was driving home from a memorial service in San Pedro, then Torrance and came home on the low traffic, Wardlow Rd. (poor, old, Lions was full of worker’s cars and shipping containers) It was very tempting to stop and get a donut or two at the Angel Food Donuts. Whew!

Jnaki

So Cal, being as unusual as it seems to be, still has many of these large, architectural designs all over the area. Some of these giant structures are now historically protected from destruction. So, no giant Octopussy, but a couple of huge, record setting, donut displays. A true 50's Americana still standing, beckoning everyone with its huge display and goodies.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018