Register now to get rid of these ads!

A confused car enthusiast needing some answers.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by vintagetin88, Nov 26, 2010.

1. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

I'm a full time college kid who currently drives about 300-400 miles a week in his '66 Charger to and from school, work, play, etc. Every car I've ever owned I've NEVER been able to leave alone (though I tend to modify my cars I don't think I could quite call them custom either). I'm on a mission to find THE perfect one single car for myself. Something effecient, beautiful, comfortable, and easy to drive everywhere. I'm absolutely obsessed (maybe not a good thing) in old vintage tin. I photograph it on the side the road, wether it be signage, or someone rusty pickup truck. Before I had my lisence I would ride my bike through all the neighborhoods pearing over their fences looking for something rusty that could be saved. Currently I've found myself in a '66 Charger, and unlike the later models this one has some nice early 60's space age touches too it. I've been involved with the mopar crowd for a while, but I'm tired of all the #'s maching, Hemi Cuda, original B5 paint guys. And Barret Jackson has turned the muscle car scene into a bunch of rich yuppies trying to make a quick $$. I noticed at more of the car meets I got to I find several (surprisingly) young guys like me turning heads in some old, WWII, or pre WWII cars.. And I like em! A LOT! I cruised Route 66 (what's left of it) from Tulsa to L.A. in my '66 Chrysler and ran into a guy in Barstow with a nice little Model A. Then just after going to this Panama City cuizin the coast thing I saw how many guys my age are getting into the old school stuff. I'm starting to grown too comfortable with the black vynil, thin A pillar, bucket seat, boxy 60's.
    I've been bitten hard by a bug, and now I CANNOT stop thinking about a 48-52 Plymouth or Dodge two door sedan fastback! I LOVE the cars of this era.. Something about those round, voluptuous fenders and body lines. Mainstream cars are a HUGE turn off. I see too many 55-57 Chevy's. They are nice cars!, but I'm tired of seeing them lined up, with different custom steering wheels, all with cragar mags. I like to see something with a little use beatin out of it. Something driven. But there are many things that bother me about trying to get a hold of one of these pre-tailfins cars.
    Cheap, easy to find, dependable parts. Can you get all the components to make this old thing steer easy and straight?
    Effeciency, I know this sounds like a joke, but I like to drive my cars..NO REALLY drive the shit out of them! No just twice a week on a sunny day, but everyday, everywhere, everytime! Rain, interstate, school, taking a lady out, all the TIME! My ole 360 Charger currently gets a respectable 22 mpg and it pulls pretty well on the highway. It's an easy, relaible car. The ole Plymouth 218 was know to get over 21 mpg, which is good, but the compression was SO LOW! Couldn't one just deck the head to raise compression in the 9's and increase power and fuel economy? Would the 6volt starter still be able to turn it over?
    I've got the old Poly Head 318 that was originaly in the Charger and a 904 automatic that would fit behind it, so I could always stuff that in there I suppose (though I LOVE the sound, and the athuntisty of the old sixes). I'm not very familiar with the 6 volt systems, or how to convert there components.
    What I think I need is a car, a cheap beater to buy and let sit in my driveway. So I can look at it every morning and see how I feel about it. Something with the original drivetrain that I can tinker around with. If I get serious, I get serious.
    Any recomendations or ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

It's all about opportunity cost. You'll always give something up in column A in order to have something else in column B.

3. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

haha, this is true.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Hello and welcome aboard from central Iowa!

5. When the right car comes along you'll know it.....I call it the "gotta have it moment".
    Welcome from Connecticut

6. 1320/150

1320/150

I used to not like 55-57 chevys til I was able to afford one:eek:

7. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

Don't get me wrong, I like em! I just like em done up a little differently! Plus I've grown a little defensive, the Chevy guys are always givin me trouble for driving an AMC and a Dodge.

8. oldman2

oldman2

Hello and welcome to the site. If you want to get fair MPG, try to stay below 300 H.P., run a overdrive tran with 3.00 to 3.40 rear gears, or 3 spd trans with 2.40 gears. Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy you project and keep us posted.

9. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

welcome from utah

10. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Welcome to the HAMB from another young guy. I've had my 54 Chevy truck since I was 15 and recently bought a 61 Suburban. Love the old trucks. Best way to get that old car/ truck is to have a little cash stuck back so you are ready to bargain when that deal comes along. Converting 6 to 12 volt is not a big deal at all. Converting your old ignition to HEI makes it alot more dependable and efficient. An electric choke carb will help too. Good luck!

11. badgeree

badgeree

Best way to get great economy, and have something individual, would be to graft a Toyota Prius with a '57 Chev. :eek:

That way you'd have something different to everyone elses Tri Chev. :rolleyes:

Hee Hee, I'm only Jokin'. :D:D

Welcome aboard, this is a great site.;)

12. scratchtown

scratchtown

welcome from ohio, I love em all but right now i got a chevy

13. big bad john

big bad john

.......Welcome from Wisconsin.....

14. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

BLEH!! When I say economy, I mean something that get in the 20's. I'm sure that little car in your avatar, even with a v-8, probably does alright if you didn't gear it too radically.

I REALLY love the the early Chevy's. I'd love to find a 50 model or something near it. They came with the over head valve sixes, nice and easy to find parts for these.

15. carmak

carmak

I have a few comments on the many issues you raised.

25 years ago when I was in engineering school I got a little to much into cars and not enough into school and it cost me a degree. Get through school, get a job and someplace to work on and store your project, the cars will still be there. I have seen more car dreams dashed by lack of a shop and storage than anything else.

I have a few Mopars and I know what you are saying about the whole numbers matching, buildsheet guys and it does got old. I will say once a Mopar is modified to a certian point most of the number guys drift away and the more general car lovers come out.

Many muscle cars are owned by rich yuppies and many are not. Many of us have had cars stored away for years that we could not afford to build until we took care of important stuff like kids.

Now about your situation. I would stick with the Charger if you have it good and reliable (like the head light doors and the dash lights). I daily drove a 51 Fleetline Deluxe 2dr for about 6 months back in the mid 90's. I put about 300 miles a week on it. It had a fresh 235 (out of a 53 automatic car) with a 3 on the tree. It was a great car but it did not age well as a daily driver in real world driving and it's steering and brakes left a lot to be desired. I know many here may argue with me but if you want a reliable and safe TRUE daily driver a chassis swap (or at least updated front suspension) is the way to go.

I have daily driven a 65 Pontiac Star Chief for the last 3 years. It has been a blast. One of the reasons it works for me is that I have a spare car (a minivan :( ) that I can drive when the Pontiac is down.

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

P.S. I have a set of new in the bag Year One white Charger quad bucket seat covers if you would be interested.

16. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

Wow man, that was very helpful.. I do often find myself spending too much time in the garage when I should be studying or out chasing girls (I normally spend my spring break working on cars). Your experiences are very helpful. I just recovered my seats, but I appreciatte the offer.