Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Great job! I really like the chop. It looks like the windshield isn't laid back as much as others I've seen.

Most of the other 33-34's hammered this much with a laid back windshield seem a little off. Yours is dead on.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. just read thru this build, nice work! the chop is spot on to me, I like hard chops thou..

3. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

That quarter window is looking good.

4. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

great work, the pics show how much work it really is...... i like it

5. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

Very nice ! It's going to be Badass !

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

man thats looking so good george.
    cant wait to see it in person at trog!

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yeah Jim, I was away on vacation for 2 weeks and all I could do was think about getting to work on the 33!

Thanks rcnut223! Its alot of fun,I must agree..

Thanks Mat! I had plenty of extra material to slide the roof forward and reduce the amount of angle needed in the windshield pillars.I'm happy with the angle and the chop so far.

Thank You laidout!

Thanks WR! Honestly,I'm kinda on the fence about the 1/4 window..Something about it looks off..I haven't done the Drivers side yet because I may redo the pass side.

Thank you guys! Got alot of work before TROG 2015 but I intend to have it ready no matter what it takes

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg Got started on cutting the sedan roof to see how much re-working will be necessary. I gotta say its got me really scratching my head! I put in a call to Andy (Thunderbirdesq on HAMB) to get some direction on where the hell to begin.Back at TROG 2014 he suggested I use a 5 window roof if I had it because the reworking of the sedan roof was alot of work. Man, he was so right!I have a few scraps of a 5 window roof but not much,so It looks like more cutting and slicing to get this roof to look right..While I pondered my next move with the roof,I started filling in the cowl where I sliced it to lay the A pillars back.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Really diggin the profile.

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

ooh she's lookin mean! Hey I see yer other coupe made hot rod in the trog coverage, cool!!

11. glrbird

glrbird

May be you could take a page out of 31 vicky book and use a chevy hood!!!!!!!

12. You could give it a shot. The Chevy truck hood creates a different roof line than that of the 34 sedan or 5 window coupe. The 1/4 windows needed to be shorter because the turn around the decklid is slower. That gives the sail panel a bit more shapely weight than looking like its in a lopsidedly tightened corset. The fiberglass pattern of the chevy truck hood doesn't fit on my 34 ford 5 window. Very different roof line than a 34 5window , but this 1/4 window has almost the same profile .

The sedan has too much curve/bulbous and tucks the back end into an awkward shape for the coupe as is. Not sure what extent it exactly it takes there to get it looking like a coupe roof

I actually like some of the Aussie 33/34 lines better than the American body. A Mixture both would be best IMO.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  13. Looks like good progress, one step at at time and she'll get done. Great Job!!

14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks KoolKat!

Yeah Andy,I'm trying to give her some atittude!..I saw you got TWO pics in HotRod! Congrats man!

I don't know about putting some Chevy metal on my Ford. Maybe a Ford truck hood?Ha ha!

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Your car looks great 31Vicky! And your skills are top notch! But to me,your roof looks alot like 33 Willys,In fact the Aussie Fords rooflines look like early Willys! Don't take me wrong,Its not a bad thing,I LOVE them too but I hope to make mine look like a Ford coupe roof. Flatnasty and Thunderbirdesq both used most of the sedan roofs and they came out awesome. I'll do the best I can do.If I fail,it can always be reworked.

Thanks! Slow and steady lately,but the weekends almost here so I hope to get alot of work done!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. Thanks man!
    Fuck it it's only metal! I have unwavering confidence in you that you'll get yours exactly how you want it. Great craftsmanship here and it will continue.
    Sometimes it's better to let these things run thru the back of your mind instead of the front, "noamsaiun"? Ever notice how the things in the back of your mind get more attention, weird.

No doubt my roofline is quite different than a 34 ford coupe & I had looked at the early willys (pics only) for inspiration so I consider that a success. I also did a lot of looking at my 34 5wd here that I can actually touch too.

I was sort of just following thru on glrbirds comment about using a truck hood like I did and that it really is a way different out come. I'll be taking my pics off of your build thread too.

I'd really like to study the Aussie body side by side with an American body.

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Damn cool! That's coming along nicely

18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Hey 31vicky,what is your opinion of my 1/4 window? Too long? Too tall? I'm thinking it needs to be a little of both.

19. I agree, much smaller front to back.

Man I've been watching and trying to figure out what's going in a few of your pics and exactly what chunks of metal are in your pics. Especially the 1/4 windows.

What I mean is this one (1) image.jpg

And this one (2) image.jpg

Are really different. (The top pic (1) has much more Pleasing lines to my eye)

Then if you go a bit further back in time and the thread you have this mock up . (3) image.jpg
    At this point (3) its really setting nice and just moving the entire rear section forward to line the back up with transition into decklid by sectioning thru the 1/4 window making it shorter would be just about perfect.

I think when you were at this point the quarter panel portion of the 1/4 window was headed in the right direction but in a technique I haven't seen, The curl pie cuts. (4) however it looks like a different 1/4 window top portion and it really looks like its uncomfortable being there.

image.jpg

What we never saw was the roof chunk and 1/4 window from pic 3 setting in correct position on pic 4. That's where I think everything wants to be. That would confirm your thoughts and make the window a bunch much shorter front to back. That would make the curve of the window more relaxed.

I'd go play with the roof chunk with 1/4 window that's seen In pic #1 and pic #3 a bit more.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  20. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

Great job from this 34

21. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thank you guys..The encouragement is greatly appreciated!

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

31Vicky,
    Thanks for your input and eye for details!I agree, pics 1 and 3 has a better look then what I came up with..I can see now where I deviated from the look and what is unpleasing to the eye.To clarify what I did, The roof chunks in pisc 1 and 3 were the original 5 window parts that were on these 1/4's..Unfortunately,they are so thin ,brittle and riddled with rust holes i cannot use them.Wish I could!They were used for illustration only.The little curl in pic 4 was me testing the contour with the old 1/4 piece and was not used as you can see. I used all the pieces from the sedan 1/4 windows in pics 2 and 4.. was trying to get the curves looking nice but deviated from the stock 1/4 window too much in my efforts.I see now where it will have to get reworked.
    Thanks again for the help!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Your welcome, hope it helps.

Since you do have good shapes that you like and to follow just shitty metal, can you reinforce them and use them for patterns to create good metal from?

24. Lookin good man!

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Skater!

26. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg Reworked the 1/4 window and I'm happy with results! It wasn't a huge change but its more pleasing to the eye. took about 3/4 inch out of the length which also shortened it about 1/2 inch. This put the upper reveal more in line with a stock 5 window roof would have.Trimmed the rear of the sedan roof and set it on to get a look.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Nailhead A-V8 and slv63 like this.
  27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 010 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 013 (Small).jpg Now that I finalized the look of the 1/4 window,Here's the work performed on the DS using the sedan rear window. Made a cardboard template of the PS side for reference. Marked the template where I made the cuts and tranfered the cut points onto the new window.Cuts made and tacked together the easy parts.I removed a section of the top piece and slid the forward of the window back to match the template.I then relief cut the rear portion and made several pie cuts to match the curve of the lower portion. Trimmed the rear and added a filler piece.Tacked together and set on the car to check the fit. There's alot more work needed to finish this part but this gives a good idea how I made the 1/4 windows.

brEad likes this.
  28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You nailed it with that mod, looks very good now. ;)

29. Neat!
    Amazing how those little tweaks bring things around. Looks great.

There's this little trick too if you need it.
    Pics are from kiwi kev

Attached Files:

brEad and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  30. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

The quarter window is looking good!