Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9inch Axle Bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Nov 29, 2015.

1. I have a 9 inch rear to put under my project car, the rear was pulled from a wrecked 59 Ford wagon 25 years ago, it was complete except for the driver side axle. My dad bought a set of axles at a swap meet that were supposed to be right. I took apart the rear tonight and the axles are the correct spline and length, but have the big bearings, the one old axle and the housing are small bearing. Can the bearings be changed or do I need to buy new axles?

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

At one time many years ago there were rear axle bearings with the right ID and OD to solve your problem. I have no idea if they are still available?

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Try http://stores.ebay.com/leadmineproducts
    I have bought special bearings from him.. Great guy. If part is not listed contact him. Bought most of my narrowed 9" parts from here and all are good.

4. Measure up both axles as close as possible to the bearing. I believe the axles themselves are the same. One bearing is 2.375" and the other is 2.50", IIRC. The wagons, Rancheros and bigger V8 cars had the bigger bearing.