Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The B.B. Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The B.B. Cabriolet

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

35cab, Stogy, GordonC and 9 others like this.
  2. Your burning the midnight oil cranked out a gem of an article, just like the Cabriolet.
    Love that car and the story.
    The one we all dream of.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Awesome! Love that dash...filled, chromed, engine turned...wow!

And could you imagine paying $9.73 for a SW curved glass fuel gauge?!?
    [​IMG]

4. pretty sure i saw this car and talked to the new owner in ventura last year..... very sweet little time capsule..

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Right?

This is probably my favorite TJJ car to date. Sincerely. I just love the story behind it.

wingnutz and mctim64 like this.
  6. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Perfect like it is. And in today's money he just paid a hair over $4420 for the whole car in 1950. Man, we were born in the wrong time.

7. Thanks for the cool thread, neat how he kept everything.
    I too like Cabs, but often wondered why no one seems to, Sport Coupes too.
    Love the mill, it looks so business like.
    I'm surprised how well the large indicators work at the front. You kinda don't notice em at first, but when you do, they look big. After staring at em for a bit, they seem to fit, but I'm not used to seeing indicators that big on a Hot Rod.
    Now if only I could read the cops handwriting on that ticket. :D

8. Simplistic beauty right there.
    The car has everything it needs, nothing extra. The record keeping is beyond compare!

lothiandon1940 and badgascoupe like this.
  9. Simply incredible story.

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I want to know what each one of those electrical switches are for

kidcampbell71 and crminal like this.
  11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Sounds like a lifelong love story....kinda makes me jealous ;)

12. Still figuring out the last few! Head and tail lights are separate with indicator lights for each, horn is a toggle, push button start, high idle pull cable, many are gauge light switches......

Ryan, you captured and conveyed the story perfectly. Thanks to you for providing a home here [TJJ] where this could be shared with other like minded folk. And yes, Roger loved his baby. He is a perfect gent with a passion for documenting every detail.

Imagine that this car sat in a single car apartment building garage, in a major So. Ca. city for all those years. How great is it that Roger, at 88 years young, knew when it was time to say "good-bye" to her and in his way, got to pick the cars next owner.
    I'm honored that the good fortune was mine.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I really wanted to post the images of you and Roger next to the car, but was worried about privacy. If you are cool with it, post those! They kind of bring it home...

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

could someone post the pic of the motor so I can ask how that generator mount was mounted to the rams horn manifold...it looks like a hole was drilled and tapped into the side of the exhaust manifold?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. This car has a amazing his and is so well documented,congratulations to Bryan,you found the Holy Grail!

Another thing that really got my attention is that the car was purchased buy Mr. Burke 2 months before I was born! :eek:

Love this car. HRP

banditomerc and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Damn, I didn't realise this was the one you got, and I read your thread on it, I read to much. :D

So what was the ticket for that Ryan pictured at the bottom of the page?

17. IMG_3046.jpg
    Roger and I
    IMG_3044.jpg
    As it sat.

18. CVC 27600. Fenders and mudguards.
    Quoting from citation, "Front fenders gards cover from rear of wheel - not top - Approx 18" long x 5 1/2" wide".
    So... Roger made up a small diagram with all his notes and calculations, and on Jan. 2, 1969 went to see Judge Litwin. Charges suspended. Go Roger!

lothiandon1940, wingnutz and kiwijeff like this.
  19. I recall the thread on the car but this gives such a personal attachment, I sure love the story. And yes, cabrio's are pretty cool. Tim

20. Let's enlarge these photo's. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940, mctim64 and kiwijeff like this.
  21. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great car a very cool history. I love the documentation.
    My Grandfather purchased a brand new 1979 14.5' Double Eagle fishing boat and did a similar thing. He documented every tiny bit of that boat, every bit of fuel it used, every tiny maintenance detail, each hour the engine ran and every fish that was pulled out of the water and where. After he passed I got the boat but unfortunately I had to sell it. I still have the book.

22. What a treasure trove!!!
    That generator bracket just flat knocks me out. And the whole interior............the funky and oh so cool switch panel, engine turning across the original dash panel, and on and on. Great find, better story........the whole enchilada.

23. VERY COOL ol car! Glad to see it live on!

24. seatex

seatex

Amazing story, well relayed. It's great to see such a sweet Cab get it's due..........Congrat's, criminal, now keep some sharp pencils handy and plenty of ink cartridges!:cool:

25. 2935ford

2935ford

Model A and 32 Cabrio's are one of my favorite cars.......a real "convertible"......an all season car and this is a very cool one indeed!.

26. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

27. Also, thanks to Tim McMaster who arranged the photo shoot up on the Old Ridge Route. Kinda got the ball rolling to get this car public. Mike Harrington was great to work with. Not only does he have the photogs eye, but he has the love of the cars.

lothiandon1940 and Buick59 like this.
  28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hey bubba...see post #14 :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. GREAT OLD HOT ROD....and a great story to go along with it. Thank's Ryan.
    I sure enjoy these story's you come up with, keep them rolling.

30. Wow! great car and story. How did you find out about the car?