Register now to get rid of these ads!

9" Traction lock / posi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jj mack, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jj mack

jj mack

I bought a 9" center section from a fairly well know person in the area, rebuilt and ready to go. I do not know much about them, just know what i wanted...Posi drive and able to corner.

The rear end is put together and in truck, but as a roll the truck around in the garage and turn it, the rear end pops like the tires are trying to turn at the same speed.

Is this normal for a posi drive? Just seems weird and Id rather fix it now.

Is there a way to tell without removing the center section?

thanks

2. Go to your local Ford dealer and by a bottle of this slippery stuff>>>>.

Attached Files:

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if it was put together good and tight than this is normal.as stated .put some additive in it .the guy that built it should have told you to...

4. jj mack

jj mack

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The additive actually allows it to slip. If the clutches were put in dry with new springs, it'll make noise like this for a bit. I don't use the additive - my clutches last almost twice as long, but the cost is a bit more "catchy" around turns...

6. Retrorod

Retrorod

If it really starts to irritate you, at the risk of a little less "loc-up", you can always re-shim the thing a little, I've done that and still had two pretty decent black stripes on the pavement. There are selective shims in the clutch pack, you can remove a few thousanths worth of pre-load.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008