Register now to get rid of these ads!

9"pinion off set question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy365-24-7, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Alright here's the deal. We got a frame package from Total Cost Involved with a Ford 9" in it. I bolted the four bar together and got the rear end in. With the housing centered in the frame the pinion is 1 and 1/2 inches off to the passenger side. According to the dealer this is the way it's suppose to be. Does this throw off the driveshaft angle? Will this cause a vibration? Thanks!

2. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

It's either that or having one wheel further away from the body than the other....You'll be fine like that

3. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Thanks Road Rat Eddie!

4. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

The rear end in my Explorer is off set more than that from the Factory.
    Just make sure that when you set your final angles with the engine that it is as close to road weight as possible.

5. Stock Fords have a short and long side to keep the pinion in the middle. A narrowed or modified diff with a centred pumpkin for pretty symmetry results in what you describe. No problems though.

6. Bert

Bert

looking from the back, you had 2 choices...one is for the housing to look centred with the pinion offset.....or the housing offset and pinion centred....you got choice number one...no prob, having an offset looking from above is the same as the tailshaft/driveline angle viewed from the side......except it doesnt move ofcourse....the centreline viewed from above, that runs down through the motor/gearbox, should be paralell as well...engine/gearbox too can be offset, but must remain paralell to vehicle centreline......confused yet.....:) .....Bert

7. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Ford trucks have same length axles which offset the the pinion about 4 inches, the rear of housing will be off about 2 inches,by narrowing housing 2 inches on left axle will center housing ,which is more appelling to the eye.I guess this means the the oem people made them in many different offsets that will work...

8. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Ya learn sumthin new evry day I guess.....Thanks guys!

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

No problem with the offset. Have done 100's of chassis with housing centered rears. We are careful with the pinion and motor trans angle.

10. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

my housing and pinion are both offset.