Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9" Long Style Pressure Plate Bolt Pattern

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kilroy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Hi Guys,
    I'm having my flathead flywheel drilled for a 9" long style pressure plate, but my machinist is telling me I can save a bunch of money if I can get him the actual bolt pattern for the pressure plate.
    I know this has been discussed to death but I've never seen the pattern anywhere.

I've searched high and low and the best I can come up with is that the bolt pairs are 2.830" apart on center.
    Anybody know the pattern or where I can find it?
    Thanks,
    Phil

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably a good idea to purchase the pressure plate you intend to use, don't you think? :confused: :)

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Search on the Fordbarn. There have been several posts, some with dimensions but i think there was a really good one on how it was layed out. Try to get a rebuilt plate...there have been issues with new ones. You might be able to guess where new ones come from nowadays...
    Even the pattern is a bit dodgy on those, stamping uneven or warped or something.

4. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Yeah, I don't intend to extrapolate the pattern from the stamped steel cover... I'd expect that to be pretty variable. Even one of my original ones.
    I have a place that's going to rebuild one of mine with slightly stiffer springs.

I searched fordbarn but didn't come up with anything. I'll dig deeper though. Thanks!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

6. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Yep, I saw those two. Not sure about indexing off the old holes. That would seem to take a lot for granted. I bet 9 times out of 10 it works fine, but I promise I'd be the 10th. :rolleyes:

I hear you about the 59a flywheel... I wish I had that problem.

Thanks again Bruce!

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ron's trick of making a centering piece and drilling though a 9" wheel is pretty interesting.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Assuming that a 1972 nine inch long style clutch is the same dimensions.. 5.125 radius....32° between holes, 3 places..0°/32°--120°/152°--240°/272°..

9. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That certainly seems like the best combination of DIY and accuracy.

If I can find one, I might try it.

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Slight wrinkle, someone offered me a 9.5" flywheel for the taking... So I just want to verify before I turn him down...
    It's my understanding that the 9.5 Long pressure plate wont work with an early toploader... And also, that even if you could get it to work, the 9.5 is close in weight to the 10 and much heavier than the 9, so the benefit would be minimal.
    Are these assumptions correct?

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think so. I do know of someone who had a 9.5 rebuilt with early arms, but I don't see much benefit to using one.