Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch ford drum brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerboy79, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Most of the time I can dream-up, fabricate and wrench about as well as the other guy. Other days I start thinking to much getting confused and ultimately end up being just plain dumb-as-hell. Today was one of the other days. 9 inch Ford 11 inch drum brakes. Wheel cylinders up and adjusters down or wheel cylinders down and adjusters up???? P.S. I called Johns 9 inch factory, SoCal, Speedway and Summit. Two said cylinders up and two said cylinders down. I sure would appreciate your help cause I'd like to mount these babies sometime this month!!:eek::eek::eek: Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. UP Unless you've been drinking ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  3. squirrel

squirrel

wheel cylinders up. Maybe the guys at those shops never actually worked on a car before?

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

5. squirrel

squirrel

or is it like this?

;)

Attached Files:

6. Divco 13. No, my psychiatrist told me not to drink while I'm taking this Prozac. Squirrel, thanks for the laugh, today I NEEDED one! Thanks guys

7. nitrocrew

nitrocrew

remember bleeder always has to be in the highest point to bleed properly...if it were upside down you could have air trapped...just my 2c

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

cylinders up !

9. Ok, where's the camera?

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

:Dor wheel cylinder 'up' front?
    drumbrakereference.jpg

11. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

Just mount one up and the other one down, you'll be right even if your wrong!:rolleyes:

12. RAY With

RAY With

Never ever seen a single wheel cylinder on the bottom--Its always been on top of any thing I ever worked on and the adjuster on the bottom.

13. OK I'll admit it I have put the wheel cylinder down before. The Ol' Man had a 16" cresent wrench in his tool box for just such an occaision. To this day I wish they made those things out of rubber. :eek:

14. 6-71

6-71

I had a 32 pickup in the shop a couple of years ago,that had a 9" rear and the wheel cylinders were on the bottom,I had never seen this before,but the owner has been driving the truck on a regular basis,and as far as I know they are still that way.By the way this is no ratrod.Motor city flathead,t-5, and a cornhusker chassis. I have several 9" fords,and they are all with the wheel cylinders on top.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I've seen backing plates installed upside down, but there was a good reason...spring perch in the way of the cylinder on an A bone

Attached Files:

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are in Australia or New Zealand, they go cylinders down, but then again, everything there is upside down.

17. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Cylinders Up! And personally, I would also make a point of telling the two so called experts that said "down", that they've got their heads up there asses!!

18. is this correct for a positive ground car application?

19. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

You need to be specific, are you talking right or left side? Otherwise you need to flip it around backwards.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Actually, they'll work any way. With cyl up, the brake line is up farther from the road, less chance of getting it dinged up, the adjuster is down, easier to get in there and do the adjust.

21. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Maybe it is a right hand drive car. :D