Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 9 inch Axle Seals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Jan 10, 2016.

1. I have a 1959 9 inch axle that came with one axle and is a small bearing rear. I have a set of correct length and spline axles with big bearings. I can find moser axle bearings but no seals. Does anyone know some part numbers for the bearings and seals? I'm not having much luck searching.

Also I need the retainer plates, but most are listed as small/new big style, are they really compatible?

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. The 6-banger equipped cars used the 2 3/8" bearing and the wagons and 8-cylinder cars used the 2 1/2" bearing. Napa should have both items, this is where I got mine from.

4. I don't know what motor was in the donor car.

Are the small ford ends the 2 3/8 seal? Or do i get both and see what works?

5. squirrel

squirrel

how about if you measure the size of the hole the seal has to fit into, and measure the size of the shaft it has to fit over. Then you might know what you need?

6. I guess i can do that. Maybe im just over thinking things. Dealing with parts stores just has me losing my mind

7. squirrel

squirrel

On stuff like this, I do my homework, and figure out exactly what part I want. Then I tell the parts store the number, and all works out well.

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  8. I pried out my old seal and took it with me to match it up at Napa. Any good store should have them, they're pretty common to newer cars as well.

Looked at some SKF seals. 15142 for the 2.50" bearing says it has a 1.50" axle, 13738 for the 2.375" bearing has a 1.375" axle.