Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9" Ford, Trying to determine axle shaft length application.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Nov 5, 2020.

1. I did a search on "axle shaft length" here and struck out all the dissuasion was about housing width.
    I'm looking specifically for the axle lengths for a 1957 Ford axle assembly (the ones with no dimples)

I've disassembled quite a few 9" axles and didn't label which are which.
    Specifically I'm asking about 1957- 1962 axles for cars 28 spline 4.5 BP.
    I measured all of the early axle housings and most are 55" but someone local is wanting a 52-1/2" housing which I have 3 and a still complete 1957 axle.
    So getting to the crux of my question. The wheel flanges are 3" (?) out from the housing ends so 6" + 52" is 58/2 or centerline should be 29". Less the approximate 1" between the shaft ends
    If I remember correctly the shafts are 3" different in length. Am I looking for 29" and 26" ?
    Is there a chart that shows Ford 9" axle shaft lengths vs wheel mounting surfaces? Or how do I calculate them?
    Thanks for any insight.
    Movin/on

2. squirrel

squirrel

30.50" right side
    26.06" left side

measured outside face of flange, to end of spline

according to Hollanders

mcsfabrication likes this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

Measurements I used when I ordered from Dutchman from their replacement axle list.

26 1/8" 30 5/16"

4. Thanks RmK57 and Squirrel.
    I've found a few 26 1/8 shafts but was curious about which longer ones I'd have to match it with.
    Now I can match other pairs up and use the difference for the 55" width housings.
    Movin/on