Register now to get rid of these ads!

9.5" clutch disc with 10.5" pressure plate will it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 444, Feb 24, 2014.

1. 444

from Canada

I have made an adapter to put a manual transmission behind a big block mopar v8. the catch is the pressure plate that will fit my flywheel calls for a 10.5" clutch disc. however the only clutch disc diameter that is available to fit my trans input shaft is a 9.5" diameter. I'm looking at using a diaphragm style pressure plate. is the .5" difference going to cause me any issues with clamping force for my clutch? other than this I see my only other options to be having my flywheel drilled to take the 9.5" pressure plate or to see if one of the big clutch manufactures can make me a disc with the shaft spline I need.

2. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

It will work ok. If excessive wear happens due to mucho mileage etc, you may end up with a slight ridge on the pressure plate at the outer edge of where the disc seats. However, I would not be too concerned as how many flywheels end up with a noticable ridge in the same location. Typically you have the flywheel machined when the clutch wears out and you replace the disc and pressure plate.
    I would not hesitate using the setup you described.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What is the spline count and diameter?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there really is no 10.5" solution for your application, have the flywheel re-drilled to accept the matching pressure plate.

Unless your application is really off-the-wall, what you seek probably exists.

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I agree with gimpyshotrods,
    Also a 9 1/2" disc is pretty small for a big block Mopar, unless your talking about a dual disc clutch. I would think the combo your thinking is going to result in a lot less holding power of the 10 1/5" pressure plate. I would think most of the load is going to be concentrated on the edge of the 9 1/2" disc. You're going to be lucky to have an inch of clutch lining in contact with the pressure plate. Gene

6. stimpy

stimpy

I would try finding a shop that relines clutches , they can get you the right center and rerivet it to the proper marcell and material backers . used to be a shop here in Chicago that will do it for a little more money than a stock unit , but they will not gaurantee it, but I never seen one fail from them yet . they made some crazy combinations for the roundy track boys as they are super critical on rotating mass .and if they cannot use a ram coupler .

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just post the spline count and input shaft diameter. We've got some serious search skills here.

8. 444

from Canada

may have to look into getting something made. input shaft is 1 1/8" at 21 spline. all I can find are 9.5" Toyota discs.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What transmission is it? 21-spline is odd. Are you counting the peaks, or valleys?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plenty of of them around here too.

13. 444

from Canada

its an aisin warner r154 from a Toyota supra. there are some upgrades available for them internally that I'll be doing. I've never heard of someone doing this swap and the clutch situation is my last hang up. I found a company called act that says their clutch package is good to 650ftlbs. I was thinking about using their disc with a centerforce pressure plate. but there's the question of the inch less of total diameter.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use the disc I linked to, with whatever pressure plate suits the application best. Summit is quick, and should be able to handle getting it over the border.

15. I once used a 9.5 inch disc on a 10.5 inch pressure plate/flywheel just to keep my old Pontiac on the street when I was outta work. I feather-footed it around and it worked just fine until I was able to get a "real" plate/disc for it.

16. maxxwedgemann

maxxwedgemann

i'm doing the same transmission swap... also located in canada...

doing a 10.5" 2900 lb diaphragm pressure plate. on a 130 tooth flywheel, in a 727 bellhousing, sliced off at the transmission side to adapt to The R154.

this should all fit together. haven't done it yet. just in planning process.

i contacted Mcleod, and they gave me a part number for a custom clutch disc. It can be ordered through any of their dealers. But won't be in the system until I or you order one... should have pricing through summit in a day or two:

Mcleod 10.5" 21 spline 1.125" 600 series (full ceramic) Clutch disc: 270960.

both ACT 3000616
    and advance adapters 716105 discs will be a direct fit, but not really aggressive enough for what i'm building. These are both 10.5" discs. and are available through summit for cheap.

do you have any pictures of your adapter? i'm curious to see how you've done it!?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  17. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Loads of people use that gearbox. My brother has one adapted to a Jaguar 6 cylinder. They're so popular there must be plenty of clutches out there.