Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA TRUCK OIL PAN LEAK

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dirt car, Oct 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Have an 8ba pesky oil pan cleanout gasket leak which was replaced several years ago & never run, thought I had sealed it well but has a persistent drip. An add on line for a (2) piece gasket set claims that an additional gasket is required internally as well, the add shows the inside view of the pan with the metal support 7 bolt reinforcing ring which I had assumed was welded in place as this is what the bolts thread into. Has anyone had any first hand experience in this regard ? Thanks, Ron

2. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I noticed the same thing when ordering gaskets for mine, although I decided it was a pain in the ass and didn’t bother and so far mine does not leak. I think I used silicone RTV in addition to the gasket so it wouldn’t leak around the bolts.

3. v8flat44

v8flat44

Ron, post htis on The Ford Barn too.....

4. leon bee

leon bee

I've only done one of these, but yes that inside piece floats until bolted down. Two gaskets. I try to not use gasket goop, but did use 3Bond, (Yamabond) on all this and mine doesn't leak. I had the pan off.

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks guys, been a while ago, basically wanted to ck. the screen & possibly see if I could discern if in fact it had a Merc. crank as the previous owner claimed, clean on the bottom end which was a plus, but as we know the upper end is the real stumbling block (no pun intended) with regards to flatheads & cracked seats/cylinders. Made my own inspection gasket & used permatex on it & around the edges, probably a real pain to clean up now that I'll need to pull the pan.

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had one leaking on a 48 truck I owned years ago . It turned out that the leak was from oil wicking the threads of the
    bolts . I removed the bolts one at a time and
    installed thread sealer . This one never leaked again .