Register now to get rid of these ads!

80's Rod turned HAMB cool!!!-'32 Pickup back on the road!!!PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mootz, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Mootz

Mootz

It's been a long time comin. The bodywork on this truck was horrific when we got it among numerous other problems. I stripped the cab down to bare metal, JayD and Knuckle welded in some bracing, a little lead, and straightened things up a bit. This was my first attempt at body work, far from perfect but pretty good in my opinion (a little biased :D). Finally got it back in primer the other day, running boards covered, now working on the interior. This thing was a mess but turned out to be a pretty cool little truck and a blast to drive. The color is definately love it or hate it but I love it with the white accents and I'm all that really matters :D (of course other than you guys). Big thanks to JayD for letting me use his shop this whole time along with his tools etc...Luckily, I have a great group of friends who jump in and give me a hand. Without them, this thing would still be in pieces. Now, without further adoo...

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

Ready for the show season, a few more loose ends to button up but getting close. Let me know what you think.

Mootz

2. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Great job! That truck looks so much better with the wheel & tire combo! Great color, too.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Huge improvement!!! :cool:

4. MUCH better! I've always wanted to take one of those 80's builds, you know, shazam stripe, Centerlines, etc., and turn it into something cool. You beat me to it.

Bryan

5. falconmad

falconmad

Truck looks great!! I really like the color. BIG Improvement.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Big improvement – looks cool. But I think it's funny that you picked a pastel color to cure it's 80's-ness.

7. TINGLER

TINGLER

Interesting point Kevin Lee.

Isn't that a 50's looking color though?

As a matter of fact, to go one step deeper.....

During the 80's wasn't part of the pastel fad actually tied to getting back to the 50's.

I remember the wayfarer sunglasses were big then.....

Many old old school rockabilly bands got their start in the 80's.

Cramps for instance....

I'm not defending the 80's at all. I'm just saying that perhaps the trend in the 80's was influenced by the 50's....it just got warped somehow.

huh, much like today I guess.

Just food for thought.

8. TINGLER

TINGLER

By the way, that truck looks cool.

9. Mootz

Mootz

HeHe, It was actually supposed to be quite a bit darker in the beginning but once we started mixing the primer, this is where we ended up. The painter said we shouldn't put any more color in the sealer or it wouldn't be able to do it's job? I don't know crap about paint or primer but it makes sense. I'm pretty happy with it and just FYI, I've taken about 10 pictures of it and they all show up a lot lighter than the truck actually is, I swear.

Mootz

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow, what a difference.

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

LOL!! great observation... i would'nt have painted my truck that color but it honestly does'nt look bad. especialy with the white. nice job...

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Powder blue is VERY '50s

13. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

HUGE improvement from what I sold to you 6 months ago. Can't wait to see it in person. Any interior pics?

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like it !!!

16. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

17. Mootz

Mootz

Thanks man, I'll try to get you some interior shots soon. It's still not finished but looks a lot better. Door panels are the same vinyl as the running boards. Hope to buy some more for the back of the cab and the roof. Dash is white now, different shifter, steering wheel, just won a SW speedo to match the other guages on ebay a few minutes ago. I'll get some pics.

Mootz

18. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

Nice it looks like the dash is white. very traditional. good taste. thank you for changing those wheels. you are doing your neighborhood justice. park the truck where everyone can see it.

19. it looks great! more pics?

20. Hey Mate,

I liek the colour, even the lighter shade in the pics...

Danny

21. Gator

Gator

Nice! I like the steelies, not sure on the red though ( just my opinion )

It's a big improvement nonetheless. Great job!

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I LIKE IT! There is a perfect 32 3w in powder blue around Melb somewhere, flattie, it looks awesome. Would be a perfect match to it.
    Doc.

23. Dirk

Dirk

I like it too!

I'd love to see some more shots, especially a side view. I'm just about ready to shorten my bed and could use some inspiration.

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't bagging on the color. Not really my thing but definitely 50's. Interesting points from Tingler too.

25. Kik ASS man!!

But then again, Im biased with that color...right Psycho ? BTW, have those rear fenders been widened? Looks like they have??

Rat

26. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice. It is a big improvement over the original picture. Would like to see a few more pictures from different angles including a 3/4 front shot.
    Michael

27. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

It's almost a "rags to riches" story. Fantastic makeover! I am A-ok with the color. :D

28. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Very nice HAMB cool for sure.

29. Dude, it's perfect, I love it.

We need to all get out there and rescue more of those 80's abortions and turn them into respectable hotrods..

30. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Very cool indeed! Lovin' the wheel/tire combo!
    ...and Tingler, you nailed it right on the head about the '80's. Great observations.