Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 in ford rear end axle change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbuilder, Jul 22, 2013.

1. carbuilder

carbuilder

I need to change axles in a 8 in ford rearend from 4 lug to 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern is there any thing beyond splines, lengths & bearing outer diameter I need to look for. The rear end is in a driver & we want to change wheels & tires.

2. My 8" has 28 spline axels. It's out of a maverick
    . There is a system for interchange parts called "Hollander" . go to a wrecking yard ask what axels will interchange. also you can re drill axels and drums to 5 on 4.5.
    Any good machine shop can do it.

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Same here, '73 Maverick, 28 spline, 5 X 4 1/2

4. i am 99% sure that ALL 8" rear ends are 28 spline, and I also agree that the simplest way to do this is to just redrill the axles and drums.

5. carbuilder

carbuilder

The rear end is out of a v8 bobcat I think. It will come apart over the winter I just want to get parts coming for tear down. Also want to add disc brakes.

6. Bob Cat never came with a V8 - did you mean V6?

7. I've never seen a 4-lug 8" Ford rear, are you sure that's what you have?....

8. Really? Millions of Mustangs, Late V6 Pintos, Mavericks, Comet's etc. came with them

9. 2racer

2racer

most of these axles can't be redrilled because there is a big hole in the flange for access to the four bolts that hold the axle retainer

10. tinmann

tinmann

The MII, pinto, bobcat 8" housing was a step down diameter housing if I'm remembering right. You might just want to source out a 5 lug style Maverick and have all the better pieces in one shot. I know I know. Easier said than done. They used to be sooo easy to find...... but they are still out there.

11. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I bought a 5 lug 8 inch from a maverick on c.l. a while ago that had a posi in it for 80.00.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Do a search for ROTTEN LEONARD here on the HAMB. He has redrilling kits available to change from one bolt pattern to another. They are listed for sale in the CLASSIFIEDS and he offers a Hamb discount. According to the advrtising the redrilling can be done with out removing the axle from the housing (with the rearend still in the car).

Frank

13. Can't find Rotten Leonard, is there a spelling mistake?

Found it, all one word, no space.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  14. 2racer

2racer

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This is correct info and good advice. By the time you find and buy the axle shafts you'll likely have spent the time and money of what a complete assembly will require.

While Re-drilling the axles/drums may be feasible.......the same as above applies.

Ray

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When looking for an 8" , don't forget ford granada/merc monarch.. fairly narrow rear , centered pinion , used through '79..
    dave

17. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Mustangs too. I got my 8" out of a '68 at the yard, $100.00. All I did was put new gear oil in it and drove it for 30,000 miles til the axle bearing went out. Still a hell of a lot easier/cheaper than redrilling 4 lug stuff.

Mike

18. carbuilder

carbuilder

I went through all the receipts form the previous owner thr rear end is out of a 79 pinto. Width is what I am concerned about if I was to change the whole thing.

19. Pinto rear end should be 57" drum to drum. 65-6 Mustang is 57 1/4". Mustang II is 57" Maverick is 56 1/2"
    67-69 Mustang is wider at 59 1/4

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Ford made millions of 4-lug, 8-inch
    rearends. Most commonly used on
    some but not all Pinto's, Bobcats,
    Mustang II's and also on some 6
    cylinder Falcons, Mustangs, Mavericks,
    Comets etc.

Mart3406
    ===============

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  21. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

our oval track racing class[4 cyl modified]requires us to keep the 4 lug patten,and yes there are a lot of 4 lug 8 inch rears around.My axles are 30" right side and 26" left side,I was told it was out of a pinto wagon?Be aware that ford used 2 different 4 lug patterns,the early[65] mustang etc were 4 1/2 ",newer stuff[pinto,mustangII] are 4 1/4"

22. Are we sure we're talking about the same 8"? The only 4-lugs rears I ever saw were Dana types (non-removable third member), as found in various 6-cylinder cars. Nobody wanted them until Mustangs got popular for restoring, then I could sell every one I had for the 6-cylinder cars.

I'll admit I didn't mess the mid-70s Pintos and their derivatives, but never found any in any of the others....

23. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

yep,drop out carrier-I change center sections twice a week during racing season for two different tracks-P.S. if you do change often,Ratech has a reuseable gasket for the 8" rear,got 2 seasons out of it before tearing it!! ot it from Summit

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, all that have been mentioned. One more difference that I haven't seen noted was that the Pinto/MustangII/Bobcat had a 4 on 4 1/4" bolt circle versus the four lug Maverick 8"s 4 on 4 1/2" circle that matches early falcon and Mustang stuff. In either case I do know that the V8 5 lug axles do not just interchange into the step end housing, although there might be a trick bearing of some sort to accommodate the swap if you can get around axle length differences. All that said, if anybody has a pair of four lug Maverick 8" axles you are replacing and tossing, P.M. me please!

To the original poster, your best bet in this deal is to either plug the access hole in your hub and redrill, or call Strange, Mark Williams, Dutchman or any of the axle makers and have them make a pair that will fit your needs.

25. YES, early Mustang 6 cylinder cars had 4 Lug 8" Ford rear ends! Quite common, just google early Mustang rear end and you should find info.
    Here is one
    [​IMG]

26. papastoyss

papastoyss

A scarce bird but a Mustang 11 w/v8 had an 8" rear that was 4 lug.

27. The 3.00 section in my 47 came out of a V8 mustang 11, that a friend parted out way back then. (20 years or so ago)
    Installed it in the Granada rear end housing that's in the car.

28. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have ben doing so looking around on specs the 79 pinto had a 52 53 inch wide rearend flange to flange I measured mine best I could in the car its 52 1/2 inside to inside flanges.

29. like most have said - yes - saw a MII with one in picknpull....just kept thinking....earlysprintcar...earlysprintcar....earlysprintsar....Kurtis midget...

30. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have found new & used axels avaliable I will just have to wait till the tear down to measure length & make sure I get the correct bearing size for my housing.That will happen probabley November. Lots of other stuff to by before then plus a major shop reorg so I have room for it. I will keep the info posted as I find out more I am sure ther are other out there wanting the same info.