Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Al Twitchell's '52 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Love it. Nice and clean.

3. Love It.

That thing would make a killer daily driver/kid hauler.

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

LOVE the rear tail light treatment on that long roof.....

5. I have a long running love affair with the 52-54 Ford wagons,Al's Ranch Wagon has always been a feast for the eyes,,

During a time when wagons were not so popular yet he raised the bar for the rest of us that have the same odd affliction to wagons.

The shortened side spears,the slight de-chroming and the tail lights,,what a beauty.

Al's wagon was always in the back of my mind as inspiration with my long term build. HRP

This is my wife's '54 wagon.

[​IMG]

6. sololobo

sololobo

Al's wagon is very subtle and tasty. Jive, your gals green machine is drooling material. Love them longroofs. ~sololobo~

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Sad to hear of his passing. I bet he would've been fun to converse with. I really like the fact it appears he built his wagon not just to be a looker, but also to be enjoyed and driven!

8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That is a beauty of a wagon. Very clean and simple! A guy I've worked with for 6 years is retiring in a month and last night we were talking about some parts he has on his farm leftover from when he was a young man into drag racing. He told me he alway thought he'd have time to get to all the projects he had saved but now he realizes he waited too long. It's sad to think how life gets in the way of our passions and dreams sometimes until its too late

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. That's one slick grocery getter! Love it ! Sorry to hear Al is no longer with us.
    God Bless!

10. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Very tasteful mods, I wonder if it still exists.

11. Very nice looking daily driver. I especially like the photo overlooking Yosemite Valley, I have many pictures taken from that same spot. This was taken at the parking area north of the tunnel on highway 41, southern entrance of the park.

Attached Files:

12. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

As with most forms of motorsport (Ie drag racing / circle track racing etc), the hot rod and custom car culture's foundation is laid, not just by the names you know (Barris, Jeffries, Edelbrock, Garlits, & Foyt to name but a few), but by the tens of thousands of names you have never heard of, who diligently work their passion, not for the notoriety, but for the love of their hobby. God bless Al and the others of his generation.

13. lawman

lawman

Very very nice !!!!

14. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

If that car was built in '54 like the Hop Up cover says... I wonder if Al knew that he beat the Nomad wagon with the idea of those vertical tailgate bars by a whole year? Cool...

15. You know that thought never occurred to me but your right. HRP

16. Actually, the Nomad was a concept car based on the Corvette platform ('53/'54). They beat him to the punch... Cool wagon, none the less.

Attached Files:

17. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Thanks for hipping me to Al Twitchell and this stealthy beauty of a wagon. Ride On, brother Al!

18. froghawk

froghawk

What a cool little wagon!

Love the taillight treatment and the '54 Ford side molding and the Merc pieces on the quarter panels.

Even more, I love the '54 Chrysler wheelcovers! Could they be the most under-appreciated cap in history?

19. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Love the '52-'54 body style and love hearing about the guys that broke new ground in this hobby/sport/illness. Al was a true pioneer. Thanks for sharing, Ryan!

20. Squablow

Squablow

Great car, and a historically important one, showing clearly that station wagons were customized in the period, and not just Nomads, as much as some would like to preach otherwise.

Is there lettering on the hood? What does it say, looks like 5 letters?

It also appears that he straightened out some of the peak in the grille surround to better match the flatness of the '54 Pontiac grille center bar, which always bugs me about that grille in the 49-51 Ford cars. Subtle stuff like that really makes a great custom.

21. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

what a good looking car.

22. catdad49

catdad49

Nice and clean mild customm

Nice and clean mild custom. Any pics of his other efforts? Thanks, Cat

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

Subtle and beautiful.RIP Mr. Twitchell.

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Always love to see cars built by guys who "get it"....on a total level....thank you Mr. Twitchell....RIP.

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Wow super cool, 52-54 Fords are sweet! Got myself a 53 2 door.

26. jroberts

jroberts

Somebody used the word "subtle" and that hits the nail right on the head. The hood scoop is sets that beautiful front end just right. Who wouldn't want that as a daily driver?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome wagon and story Ryan. It's mild compared to the full custom wagon Cerny did back in that era but what a nice job Al did on it.

28. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Hot Rods Ta Hell, He told me to drive up and look through the barn, mostly Mid to late sixties Pontiac and olds stuff, he loved BOP muscle cars. I haven't even hinted at buying from him yet because he gets nostalgic and a little sad talking about it, I figure ill wait until we are rummaging and make an offer...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad