Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 for 4L60E swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jun 22, 2008.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

So, I looked tonight at a '93 Chev conversion van with a TBI 350/4L60E. The thing runs like a watch, is dirty but very driveable, and comes with a set of ebay friendly 20" Dayton wire knock-offs and adaptors plus the original ralley style wheels. I'm interested in this solely as the donormobile for my '47 Diamond T pickup project.

I'd hoped the van had a 700R4, but nope, it has the 4L60E. I don't want the electronics, and would plop an Edlebrock manifold, carb, and a conventional distributor on it. The 4L60 I'd keep as a spare for one of my other cars (there's one in my '48 and '51 Pontiacs), and swap a 700R4 instead.

At less than a grand, can I go wrong with this? Any things I need to know about the 700R4 other than getting the TV cable set up? Starter or flywheel compatibility? I like the idea of the complete donor car, I know I have loads of stuff I'll need like the brake booster and master cyl, steering box, and so on, so I don't mind the work of parting the van out for the engine, selling the rind to the recyler and the rims on ebay.

Opinions?

Brian

2. the machine

the machine

700 r4 is a good tranny, but you gotta have electricity goin to it for the lock up. I have seen kits that hook into your speedo to do it automatically, or you can have a switch. Its gotta kick out when coming to a stop or it kills the engine. 4L60 E is very similar with some parts crossing over, just different valve body, however if its good could make your project cheaper.

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

The 4L60E needs a computer controller to function. A 700R4 is basically the same trans as the 4L60. Put an E on the back and you get a computer to run it. Expensive to stand-alone, but good stuff.
    I would use it if at all possible. You might also call TCI and see what's involved in converting to non-computer. They also have a new valve body that eliminates the risk of burning one up with a improperly adjusted TV cable.
    In a standard 700R4, the lockup is easy. Inexpensive kit allows you to feed it 12v through a brake light switch. When in 3rd or 4th, above 45 mph, the hydraulic switch on the valve body allows hydraulic pressur to lock the converter to eliminate slippage at speed. Touch the brakes or slow down and it unlocks. One wire.

4. MrBullet

MrBullet