Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 Drive engagement question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe T Creep, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I have a 700r4 in my 54 Lincoln Capri with a 317 Y-block. It has a Wilcap adaptor for the trans. When I put it into drive it seems really harsh. When I put it in reverse its really smooth. Just engages real light and perfectly. Drive is immediate and like a clunk. Is there an adjustable modulator? What the hell have I done wrong? Any ideas???

Thanks

2. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

NOTHING???????
    Ok...make fun of me for doing something stupid even.....

3. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Uh, thats what you get for putting a GM trans behind a Yblock?

I don't know - typically I've seen that clunk be caused by too high of idle speed.

Sorry, I got nothin...

4. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Oh, shit - I forgot about the Tv cable on those things. Make sure that is adjusted properly or it could cause exactly what you describe.

5. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Thats exactly what I needed guys. I'll set that thing when I have the waterpump back on and its running.
    Bort62, The issue happens at all idle speeds and I also know its not an idle related problem because it does not occur in reverse and that cable isnt adjusted properly because there is a harsh downshift also.
    Thanks guy. Wish me luck.

6. don't drive that thing untill u adjust that cable or u'll have pile o'Junk. hopefully u didnt do anything to it since the cable hasnt been adjusted...joe

7. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

wow. check that TV cable.

Full pull at WOT is needed.

read the Purple Sage web site pages provided by the link posted.

:cool:

8. Bungy

Bungy
    from Minnesota

I agree 100% what ever you do SET UP THAT CABLE PROPERLY! Take it from someone who's been there done that. I toasted two trannys in my 64 Chevelle before I knew what I was doing. I now have the under carb plate and bracket from boetie overdrives. Followed their instructions (with a pressure gauge - important) and the thing works great.