Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 66 f100 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by njmike, Jul 24, 2013.

1. njmike

njmike
    from NJ

Hey guys and gals new to the forum I just picked up my 66 f100 custom cab short bed yesterday. Body is fine so I wont need any body work or do anything to the bright work, the motor needs a tune up and a little cleaning and repainting but thats about it. The truck has a 3 speed which I will be keeping its much more fun to drive that way. I plan on bagging it and changing out the wheels and tires. If anyone has any advice on bagging this truck please let me know this is my first build and I a limited on knowledge

Attached Files:

2. I love the 65-66 Ford trucks,,rare to find one in that condition,congratulations. HRP

3. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Kool, have fun!! I love a 3-on-the-tree!!

4. supervert

supervert

be prepared to clip, unless you dont want it real low. stay away from the crown vic clip. i think they are a kick ass frontend, but way to wide to get low.

thats a clean 100, should make a nice ride when done

good clips

camaro
    widened s10
    g-body
    dakota

here is mine, and it has no bags

[​IMG]

5. njmike

njmike
    from NJ

6. Isn't your truck a 65 or does it just have a 65 grill? HRP

7. njmike

njmike
    from NJ

Yes it is a 65 not sure why it says 66 must of been late when I started the thread lol

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

you forgot Jag XJ that we aren't allowed to talk about here anymore haha. That's what i'm doing in my 62 unibody notched a coupla inches into the frame and I should be about the same ride height as your truck. I hope. with all the tire figures and everything mocked up my "rocker" should be 6-7" off the ground...ken..

9. Texas Turkey

Texas Turkey
    from Texas

I just bought a 66 this week and want it lower--read in a Ford forum that a 66 crown vic clip was a perfect width and would drop it 5 or 6"--also said a police front had 600lb springs and others had 400lb springs but don't know which would be better for my purpose so I am looking for everybody's advice

10. luckystiff

luckystiff

depends on how much you want to lower it. i notches the jaguar xj crossmember 2 7/8" into the frame rail(4 7/8" originally so it left 2" of the original rail) and it dropped my 62 somewhere in the 8" range. so straight to the frame would have been around 5" or done bolt in like it come outta the jag probably 4".

the camaro subframe is gonna get you 6-8" or so depending on how you splice into the stock frame.

03-10 crown vic bolt in i think is around 5" but it is also about 5" wider than the stock front end and forces you to run high offset wheels similar to a fwd car. theres a few mustang wheels that i think look decent with this set up but you are limited.

the 90s crown vic clips are not that uncommon and give a decent drop but it's not a bolt in affair like the 03-10(theres actually still some fab work on those to).

i'm probably going to start on the 92-00 lexus sc400 in my neighbors f1 in the next few weeks. it bolts in like the 03-10 crown vic but is the same track width as the stock axle. it is also 5x4.5 lug pattern so this in front and an explorer 8.8 out back and you've got 4 wheel disc pretty cheap. probably the biggest distractor on this donor for most is that it's originally a strut based unit. but it's easy to set up using coilovers.

theres several good options for these trucks. if you want slammed 2nd gen camaro is pretty easy. once i figured out where i wanted to be with the jag donor it was also easy. i spent 10 times the effort in figuring out how i wanted to do it than doing it. i actually had notched 1 7/8" into the frame first and when it was sat down i wanted it at least another inch lower. out comes the 3x2 that i had inside the frame rail with the crossmember notched to it and in went 2x2. the good news is i have it figured out if i do another on the exact method to get about 4 different ride hieghts now hahaha...ken....